PDA

View Full Version : Got the first call of the year yesterday!

MowingMowingMowing
03-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Phone rang yesterday and guess who it was....a new customer???.... an existing customer???..... a big landscaping job???....

Lol no it was none of the above. It was a guy calling and asking for a job lol. Said he was searching websites in the area and was wondering if I was hiring... what a let down lol

Patriot Services
03-04-2011, 07:19 PM
I get that too from time to time. Had a wife insist I should hire her husband because in her words " he is f-ing good at that shizz". I asked why he didn't call himself, she said he was sleeping. Unbelievable.
Posted via Mobile Device

Turf Dawg
03-04-2011, 08:41 PM
I get that too from time to time. Had a wife insist I should hire her husband because in her words " he is f-ing good at that shizz". I asked why he didn't call himself, she said he was sleeping. Unbelievable.
Posted via Mobile Device

:laugh::laugh::laugh: you should have asked her how much she would pay you to get him out of the house

jsslawncare
03-04-2011, 09:09 PM
(them)"I've been cutting grass for years, you hiring?"(me) No.(them) Why not?(me) Cause my 12 year old son can out work you. People that know how to work in this business are not looking for jobs. We are looking for accounts.

flatlander42
03-04-2011, 09:10 PM
I had a woman call me and leave a message for her husband. You could tell it was a pre written list of skills that her husband had, saying how he needed work. Well, I am only a one man show and don't need/want any help. I was going to call and let them know that I didn't need help......He didn't answer!.......or return my call! LOL!

BINKY1902
03-04-2011, 11:26 PM
I get those calls too. One guy told me he wanted an estimate, and when I got out there he said I could cut his yard if I gave him a job.

mowerbrad
03-04-2011, 11:45 PM
I've got a couple phone calls/emails from people wanting a job...doesn't happen too often but maybe once or twice a year. In one email the person was saying how hard a worker he was and how he's qualified for the work, yet he couldn't put a basic sentence together with proper spelling and grammar.

I occasionally need some help when I get real busy but I have plenty of guys I know from working with them at other jobs that are willing to help me when I need it.

MOturkey
03-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Got one yesterday. Don't really mind. I just politely thank them for calling and tell them I'm solo and don't have any employees. If I had a "brick and mortar" business, I wouldn't give the time of day to someone who called instead of showing up in person, but this business is a little different. Not too many of us have offices with a sign out front.

MowingMowingMowing
03-05-2011, 12:22 AM
I told him to submit his resume through my site.... and big surprise, he never submitted it.

jsslawncare
03-12-2011, 09:40 AM
I get those calls too. One guy told me he wanted an estimate, and when I got out there he said I could cut his yard if I gave him a job.

So you would be paying him to cut his yard?

yardatwork
03-12-2011, 09:57 AM
I received a call two weeks ago about spring clean up. It was from a little old lady I've had for eleven years. Every year she thinks I'm going to forget about her! Then last Friday I got a call about mulch, edging, and bed maintenance (possible new client). Then yesterday I got a call about mowing (possible new client). This would be great since I already have three lawns on the street this lady lives. Other than than, I'm batting zeros. I've put door hangers in about 100 mailboxes around town, sent out five random business bids, and met in person with the manager of Advance Auto for a bid.

justanotherlawnguy
03-13-2011, 12:34 AM
I get calls all the time from guys looking for jobs, people always approach me at gas stations as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

LoweJ82
03-13-2011, 12:54 AM
Got first call of season yesterday, GM of a biz wanting some ref's and price's.

Had some other b/s calls for topsoil, meanwhile it was raining pretty hard out.

Working on getting a project planned, but its for family so cant really count that in,

jnrogers
03-13-2011, 09:13 AM
I was clearing off a couple of steep hills and had a guy pull in and ask me for some work, he was telling me how hard a worker he was and bla bla. I said ok I can use you right now and his face dropped and he had about 20 excuses why he couldnt start right then. He said He could start a few days later. I didnt hire him. I only use my 2 sons now.

ALC-GregH
03-13-2011, 12:26 PM
I've had a quite a few calls. One that stands out is a commercial business that called me to set up an appointment to maintain their property. I asked where she got my number, turns out it was a referral. :-) I have 5 other calls for weekly maintenance I need to bid on coming up this week.