PDA

View Full Version : Anybody collecting & selling scrape metal in Florida?

FLAhaulboy
03-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Scrape metal is big bucks nowadays! Being in the debris hauling buz, its quite funny that people "pay" me to haul away their old junk, then I turn around and resell it for an additional profit. I currently sell scrape at about (1) trailer load per month to the local dealer, I take it home, sort out the AL, Brass, tin/steel, Stainless Steel, copper. I took in my biggest profitable load to sell yesterday, $657.12. Here is a breakdown on what was on my trailer:

Sheet iron clean-2,320 lbs (.11 cents per Lb)

Clean Aluminum-218 lbs, (.64 per lb)

Cast AL, (.64 per lb)

A/C radiators, (1.70 per lb)

#2 copper, (3.60 per lb)

Insulated copper wire, (1.42 per lb)

Electric motors, (.35 per lb)

Yellow brass, (1.91 per lb)

Stainless Steel, (.93 per lb)

Keith
03-04-2011, 08:13 PM
I started doing it on the side last winter. I think I have hauled in five loads in the past year.

Ric
03-04-2011, 08:33 PM
With 15% unemployment in my area, I see several scrap collectors everyday with loaded Pickups or Cadillacs pulling Scrap Trailers. About the only thing holding our Small Town Local economy together is the upscale retirees who are spending enough money to keep retail & service alive.

Talking with a network buddy today we were discussing how we might not be hurting because of being established with a old Customer Base. But we sure weren't setting the world on fire with new business.

Keith
03-04-2011, 09:49 PM
I think the gig for roadside pickup is just about done here for the part-timer. Since the prices hit $10/100lb again for shreddable, I'm not seeing much in the past couple of months. I saw a 5ft piece of 1/2" copper and some insulated two weeks ago, but that is about it. I'm not seeing that many more people doing it, so they must be getting better at picking the routes.

fl-landscapes
03-05-2011, 12:09 AM
dont know about "collecting" scraps but there is a ton of theft and scrapping going on for sure!!! From backflow preventers to cemetery urns (sp?) and ac unit guts.....still waiting for that "change" to arrive:cry:

Ric
03-05-2011, 10:12 AM
dont know about "collecting" scraps but there is a ton of theft and scrapping going on for sure!!! From backflow preventers to cemetery urns (sp?) and ac unit guts.....still waiting for that "change" to arrive:cry:

Fl Land

I haven't seen a lot of Air Conditioners stolen on the news lately. Maybe it is so common any more they are no longer reporting it.

Our Greater area has one of the highest if not the highest foreclosure rate in the country. Cape Coral, Fla is said to have 50% foreclosures. But when the economy crashed many of the vacant home were stripped of Everything they could haul away including plumbing and wiring.

FLAhaulboy
03-05-2011, 04:12 PM

Plenty of late night scrape stealing of A/C units in Florida. In my area, it fluctuates on when the criminals start stealing A/C's. High $ prices now but nobody is stealing anything, doesn't make sense.

A funny story:

I was at a local scrape dealer a few years back. There was this guy standing at the scale observing every load brought in & I figured he was a plain clothes cop looking for stolen scrape. I asked the Weight Master if he was a cop-yep. Everybody knows "me" at this bisiness other than the cop. I weigh going out, then have to park and get out, go inside to get paid. My Master friend is over talking to the cop, So I walked over to have a lil fun at cop's expense...I tell my friend that I have a late night job of tearing apart A/C units (to remove the copper) & I usually get finished around 4 AM & can he come open up early? The cop is staring at me wild eyed, says nothing! I'm sure my friend told him later, I was kidding :laugh:

Patriot Services
03-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Can we please stop calling it "scrape" its SCRAP! No "e" on the end.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
03-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Me fail English, that's unpossible.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
03-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Me fail English, that's unpossible.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes you are a product of the Florida educational system. I am sure you did well on the effkhat testes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
03-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Mmmmmm.....testes
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
03-05-2011, 08:37 PM
I am sure you did well on the effkhat testes.
Posted via Mobile Device

To Funny!!! FL0-bonics

Field King
03-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Plenty of late night scrape stealing of A/C units in Florida. In my area, it fluctuates on when the criminals start stealing A/C's. High $ prices now but nobody is stealing anything, doesn't make sense.

A funny story:

I was at a local scrape dealer a few years back. There was this guy standing at the scale observing every load brought in & I figured he was a plain clothes cop looking for stolen scrape. I asked the Weight Master if he was a cop-yep. Everybody knows "me" at this bisiness other than the cop. I weigh going out, then have to park and get out, go inside to get paid. My Master friend is over talking to the cop, So I walked over to have a lil fun at cop's expense...I tell my friend that I have a late night job of tearing apart A/C units (to remove the copper) & I usually get finished around 4 AM & can he come open up early? The cop is staring at me wild eyed, says nothing! I'm sure my friend told him later, I was kidding :laugh:
here in Indy they planted cops in the largest scrap dealers yards last year, busted some people hauling in stolen scrap but also busted scrap company employees for knowingly buying stolen scrap, the former county prosecutor is going after the scrap companys assets and they are owned by a steel mill, big court battle brewing. newly elected prosecutor has not chimed in that I know of but I assume he is picking it up!

FLAhaulboy
03-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Can we please stop calling it "scrape" its SCRAP! No "e" on the end.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lol! We spell it a different up here in NW Florida, blame it on that good ole tasty BP contaminated water we are having to swallow! :drinkup:

Field King,

They passed a tougher law here re scrap metal last year. The scrap dealer makes a copy of your ID, takes your photo AND has a finger print scanner to record your thumb print!

I don't scrap vehicles because now, you have to have the title in your possession, The VIN # on the vehicle has to match the one on the title, fill out a long form of info etc. Too much trouble but if you cut the vehicle up in "pieces", you don't need a title. Duh :rolleyes:

Patriot Services
03-06-2011, 08:36 AM
I have a neighbor that just moved out of his foreclosure. Took a sawzall at 2am and cut down his pool cage as a parting gift. Another foreclosure across the street the former owner came back and hacked out the pool and irrigation pumps. I put a cage over my ac unit to slow down any would be thieves and this is in a really nice neighborhood too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
03-06-2011, 12:45 PM
I have a neighbor that just moved out of his foreclosure. Took a sawzall at 2am and cut down his pool cage as a parting gift. Another foreclosure across the street the former owner came back and hacked out the pool and irrigation pumps. I put a cage over my ac unit to slow down any would be thieves and this is in a really nice neighborhood too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot

The sad and sorry thing about it is, your story is a common occurrences among those losing their homes to foreclosure. It is almost like the Urban legends everyone likes to tell. Each store get worst than the last.

Patriot Services
03-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Sadly I had to call animal control and the S.O. Idiot left 2 dogs and a cat inside. Luckily they were ok.
Posted via Mobile Device

tallrick
03-06-2011, 02:40 PM
I am so steamed about Bernanke and his money pumping. Every time he prints more money the prices of commodities go sky high. The dollar loses value and the scavengers come out. I have had to box in my air conditioners with concrete blocks to stop the thefts. A steel cage I built was stolen along with the air conditioner. I hate scrap metal collectors with a passion. Whenever I had scrap al, cu or brass I melt it myself and keep it in ingots. Steel I would give to a friend or use it for projects.

Ric
03-06-2011, 03:45 PM
I am so steamed about Bernanke and his money pumping. Every time he prints more money the prices of commodities go sky high. The dollar loses value and the scavengers come out. I have had to box in my air conditioners with concrete blocks to stop the thefts. A steel cage I built was stolen along with the air conditioner. I hate scrap metal collectors with a passion. Whenever I had scrap al, cu or brass I melt it myself and keep it in ingots. Steel I would give to a friend or use it for projects.

Tallrick

By chance are you a CPA also??

Melting down ferous metal sounds easy, What temperature do each of the metals Al, Cu and Brass metal??? Are you using a electronic. Oil fired electric forced air, Natural Gas or good old fashion coal??

tallrick
03-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Tallrick

By chance are you a CPA also??

Melting down ferous metal sounds easy, What temperature do each of the metals Al, Cu and Brass metal??? Are you using a electronic. Oil fired electric forced air, Natural Gas or good old fashion coal??

Not into accounting, I have a friend who does that. I have used waste oil and electric arc to melt non-ferrous metals. Have also done some sand casting and basic machining. Initially I made a furnace from some pipe and charcoal, then later on experimented with used motor oil. Finally built an arc furnace that melts much faster and doesn't vaporize the zinc from the brass. I wish I had access to coal, it would be fun to build a cupola furnace and experiment with cast iron!

capelawncare.com
03-06-2011, 04:19 PM
With 15% unemployment in my area, I see several scrap collectors everyday with loaded Pickups or Cadillacs pulling Scrap Trailers. About the only thing holding our Small Town Local economy together is the upscale retirees who are spending enough money to keep retail & service alive.

Talking with a network buddy today we were discussing how we might not be hurting because of being established with a old Customer Base. But we sure weren't setting the world on fire with new business.

That about sums things up, here.

zturncutter
03-06-2011, 04:26 PM

My situation as well. I am very thankfull for my long time customer base.

Ric
03-06-2011, 04:57 PM
That about sums things up, here.

Cape

I couldn't help noticing your fine Equipment list and get jealous. Several years ago I also bragged about my fine set up and posted a very similar equipment List. However having a spray license I also added my Huffy Spray bike with the one Gallon B&G and Coffee can fertilizer spreader.

However My Pinto 3 door Hatch back with the Lawn boy tied on the back bumper has your VW beat all to hell.

Ric
03-06-2011, 05:05 PM
My situation as well. I am very thankfull for my long time customer base.

Zturn

I am a strong believer in building a R&R (REOCCURRING REVENUE) base. I have been the High dollar F&F (Feast and Famine) route and don't like the insecurity of not having a stead income. The nice thing about Up selling a Landscape install was the CLEAN extra money because the nut is covered by the R&R (reoccurring revenue).

slawn
03-06-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm not in in FL. but I have been selling some scrap. So many people stealing up here now they take your pic, a pic of your truck and a pic of your copper and mail you a check a week later. They caught one guy stealing man hole covers.:hammerhead: There's good money in it, if you can find it.