PDA

View Full Version : Broken hitch pin

lawnjox
03-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Just wanted to share this with you guys! It happens

knox gsl
03-04-2011, 10:41 PM
How did you do that? Seems like the retainer pin should have no load on it.

kilgoja
03-04-2011, 11:53 PM
I've never seen one break...guess it does happen....did it come off while you were towing?

Richard Martin
03-05-2011, 05:02 AM
That drawbar pin didn't break. It was worn down to where the end started to flex and then it snapped off from fatiguing back and forth.

I can think of no reason that should happen if everything is properly installed. The clip would have had to have rotated around the pin thousands of times to wear it down like that.

Did you install the drawbar and pin yourself? I'm a little confused because there appears to be ZERO wear on the clip.

What kind of hitch is it? Do you know the brand name and how about the drawbar? Do you know the brand name of it? Something is seriously amiss there and it will probably occur again.

Check the hitch carefully and see if you can find where the pin might have worn at. There should be wear and shiney metal there somewhere.

Landrus2
03-05-2011, 07:44 AM
This problem is very rare but on your case you should up grade to harden steel pins just for the extra safety

delphied
03-05-2011, 07:46 AM
[QUOTE=greenstarlawns;3923223]How did you do that? Seems like the retainer pin should have no load on it.[/QUOTE
Good one!:hammerhead:

lawnjox
03-06-2011, 10:50 AM
That drawbar pin didn't break. It was worn down to where the end started to flex and then it snapped off from fatiguing back and forth.

I can think of no reason that should happen if everything is properly installed. The clip would have had to have rotated around the pin thousands of times to wear it down like that.

Did you install the drawbar and pin yourself? I'm a little confused because there appears to be ZERO wear on the clip.

What kind of hitch is it? Do you know the brand name and how about the drawbar? Do you know the brand name of it? Something is seriously amiss there and it will probably occur again.

Check the hitch carefully and see if you can find where the pin might have worn at. There should be wear and shiney metal there somewhere.

Its unclear to me as well, it is a reese pin and drawbar and a valley hitch, it is rare we ever pull the pins. That set up has 10's of thousands of miles on it. The next pin will have a hole in it instead of the slot. I will be replacing all hitch pins. Just wanted to share something crazy that happens. It broke off when we removed the trailer from the drawbar. No real indication of wear!

ecurbthims
03-06-2011, 10:59 AM
any chance you have been hammering on the end to remove the pin?

lawnjox
03-06-2011, 11:04 AM
any chance you have been hammering on the end to remove the pin?

No hammering here, we almost never remove the pins from the hitches. I have never seen one you had to hammer out!

delphied
03-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Prolly made in China and not hardened.

MOturkey
03-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Another reason I went ahead and got commercial insurance which covers liability from both my truck and trailer. Did like a lot of small operators and took my chances for several years, but kept thinking "what if"? Well, here we have a picture of one of those "what if's".

ALC-GregH
03-06-2011, 01:26 PM

Check the hitch carefully and see if you can find where the pin might have worn at. There should be wear and shiny metal there somewhere.

I disagree Richard. I have the same exact type of pin that has a groove cut out to hold the retainer clip.When installed on a hitch with a drawbar, the clip can't spin around the pin at all. While I don't know what made it break, I do know wear from the clip rotating was not the cause.

ALC-GregH
03-06-2011, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=greenstarlawns;3923223]How did you do that? Seems like the retainer pin should have no load on it.[/QUOTE
Good one!:hammerhead:

Why the sarcasm? I'm sure he meant "retainer clip" in his post in which he is right, there is no load on the retainer clip, only the pin.

ALC-GregH
03-06-2011, 01:30 PM
For the record, I use a locking stainless steel pin. It's too easy to just walk up and pull a pin/clip and be the new owner of a $40 drawbar and ball.

ecurbthims
03-06-2011, 03:41 PM
No hammering here, we almost never remove the pins from the hitches. I have never seen one you had to hammer out!

up here we get it all the time,they salt the roads in the winter,and if the pins and drawbars are not removed very often,the whole deal seizes up really bad .The truck I bought last fall,had never had the drawbar out since installed in '98 .

delphied
03-06-2011, 06:10 PM
[QUOTE=delphied;3923541]

Why the sarcasm? I'm sure he meant "retainer clip" in his post in which he is right, there is no load on the retainer clip, only the pin.

There is a load on the clip. Every bump and reverberation is like tapping a hammer on the clip and end of the pin over and over and over. If the pin isnt tempered correctly or if salt, as one contributor suggested, weakens the end, over time, Presto.

kilgoja
03-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Another reason I went ahead and got commercial insurance which covers liability from both my truck and trailer. Did like a lot of small operators and took my chances for several years, but kept thinking "what if"? Well, here we have a picture of one of those "what if's".

lol...sorry this is just funny...insurance for a $2.99 part

Swampy
03-07-2011, 12:47 AM
up here we get it all the time,they salt the roads in the winter,and if the pins and drawbars are not removed very often,the whole deal seizes up really bad .The truck I bought last fall,had never had the drawbar out since installed in '98 .

Was going to say the same thing, my drawbar on the dodge is way seized in. Took out the retainer and yanked on it with a skid loader. Still in there, just replaced the pin with a Grade 8 bolt and locking nut.

jiggz
03-07-2011, 03:06 AM
that **** should never break!!, unless you did something wrong .. i would call the manufacture and most deff let them know...they will prolly ask for it, for further inspection.

I sold fasteners my whole life before i got into this biz..and we had traceability the way back to before it was melted

if you did everything right..then something is wrong and it must be brought to attention