PDA

View Full Version : Stihl FS100RX

knox gsl
03-04-2011, 11:52 PM
I'm posting my review about my new purchase yesterday. First things first, its much lighter than my FS130R which was its selling point. I filled it up today with fresh 93 octane mixed with the standared Stihl oiul mix. It fired up on the 5th pull out of the box. It tachs up fast and has good tone to it, that is one good thing about the new 4mix engines they aren't as loud as the older 2 strokes. As of right now the only thing I can fault it for is the balance of weight is off with the engine being much heavier even when the D-handle is slid all the way to the top. It seems all the weight came out of the shaft and gear box on this model. I will post as I get a chance to run it more over the next feww months.

Merkava_4
03-05-2011, 12:06 AM
You're not the first person to mention that balance issue; it's been mentioned before on this site
in regards to the FS100RX. That hollow drive shaft screws up the balance of the machine.

PLS-Tx
03-05-2011, 01:08 AM
I have one I bought a few months ago. I like it but I don't do much trimming anymore. My guys hate it, they won't use it, they use the Echo 265's.

They want me to get FS 250's, I think they are heavy, maybe I'm just getting old. :laugh:

How do you like the FS 130? I picked one up at the dealer, seemed out of balance to me.

knox gsl
03-05-2011, 01:16 AM
I like my 130 but it does get heavy on the hot days. If it is out of balance try sliding the Dhandle up close to the engine. T also think that we will see more balance problems as more companies go over to the hybrid 4 strike designs. They seem to add a pound or two to the egine area and that adds up if you're carring it all day.

I've never run any of the echo stuff but have some time with shindawa, redmax and kawasaki and they all have great equipment that screams. I just like keeping everything the same brand and Stihl is the only company out there that has all the handheld equipment that I use. I refuse to run a brand that is sold in Home Depot or Lowes.

PLS-Tx
03-05-2011, 01:31 AM
We bought the Echo's from our old dealer, new dealer only sells Sthil so that's what I plan to stay with.

We have been running several 4mix blowers and edgers for a few years with good results. Now if we could just decide on a trimmer.

I thought the 100RX was it, guess not. The 130 is the same weight as the echo's we are using so I may try one.

They want the 250's but I don't think they are going to like the extra weight. I don't like the extra $100, so we shall see.

LCPullman
03-05-2011, 02:47 AM
Funny, the balance of the FS100RX is the very thing I like most about it. I would rather have the weight up by the engine than hanging off down by the ground. Makes it easier to maneuver and over all less work because of the leverage advantage.

Merkava_4
03-05-2011, 03:03 AM
You should be able to balance the machine on one finger at the midpoint of the throttle grip.

ncknaklawns
03-05-2011, 03:05 AM
I noticed real weight advantages when i took the grass filled guard off the FS110.

Richard Martin
03-05-2011, 05:47 AM
I noticed the balance problem myself. I'm still looking for something else.

lawnboy dan
03-05-2011, 09:14 AM
r and d on sthil products is non existant-they put out a product with obovious desighn flaws and dont seem to notice

MOturkey
03-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Bought one last summer, largely due to the weight difference between the 100 and my Echo 265's. I have a property that, if I do all of it, requires about 2 hours of trimming, and, well, I'm getting a little older. :) It did feel awkward the first few times I used it, but like anything, you get used to the balance eventually. I really notice it most when carrying the unit, because with the Echo, the trimmer stays horizontal holding it by the grip, with the Stihl, the engine end is heavier.

I like the Echo heads better when filling with line, they are faster, for me, to spool, but the Stihl autocut uses a lot less line. I have a tendency to tap for new line more often than I really need to, and the Echo releases a couple of inches at a time, while the Stihl only releases maybe an inch at the most. I find myself filling the spools a lot less often.

The only real issue I've had is my last mow of the season last fall. The temperature was in the low 30's, and I absolutely could not get the Stihl to start. Tried the normal, recommended starting procedure. Choke off in case it was flooded, etc. Just would not fire up. Grabbed the Echo off the trailer, and it took off on about the 4th pull. I never tried the Stihl again in the cold, so am not sure if it would always be an issue or not. Of course, I don't normally do much work in 30 degree temps anyway, so it usually wouldn't be an issue.

knox gsl
03-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Well its got a few more hours on it now and I'm warming up to it. The balance issue isn't a problem at all once I got used to it. it starts easy and my wife now goes for it over the FS130. I would say at this point it has about 8 hours of run time on it and I've put about 2 of them on it. One thing I do like about it is that it is easy to use reaching one handed down a hillside. More to come as I get more time to play with my new toy.

ncknaklawns
03-24-2011, 05:07 PM
I keep five auto cut spools ready to go. So every once in a while I reload them all and if I run out in the field, and its 90+ degrees out, its plug and play and done.

SouthSide Cutter
03-24-2011, 06:46 PM
I bought two last year. My son and grandson said the 265's were better. If you picked up both and run them side beside you would probably buy the 265. The balance is even and they have no vibration. But if like me and my son and grandson you run them for 2-5 hours straight and run them hard. You end up using the 100RX and the 265 just sets on the trailer. I would buy the 100RX over any I have run right now.