PDA

View Full Version : castor wheel problem help please!!!!!

944own
03-04-2011, 11:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OprEAY19eo0
While out mowing today I noticed the castor wheel on the front left would not spin real good. When I got home I jacked it up and took the wheel off the yoke and noticed allot of play in it as you can see in the vid. The other side is tight as can be and I dont even know how to take the yoke off to see what has happened. The only thing I have done is greased them a week ago and they had not been greased in some time please let me know what has happened. Thanks Also the whole arm moves that the castor is on because it pivots and can put a pin in so it cant pivot this is a lesco ztwo.

kilgoja
03-04-2011, 11:40 PM
looks like a broken bearing or whatever they use in there...it shouldn't move around like that

944own
03-04-2011, 11:42 PM
I know I just dont even know how to take it off to see what is up with it.

ashgrove landscaping
03-04-2011, 11:47 PM
pop the top cap off, remove pin and remove big nut. Voila. Caster will fall down with a bunch of bearings.

944own
03-05-2011, 12:32 AM
OK I took the cap off and got the yoke off you can see in the second pic what I found to be the problem what is this metal piece that is all twisted and how do all these little bearings go back in do they lay flat if so there are too many if they stand up straight they wont fit assuming they go in the little lip at the bottom of the hole the yoke came out of. thanks

944own
03-05-2011, 01:21 AM
someone has to know what this mangled piece is I am gonna go to the dealer tomorrow and see if I can get a new one and would like to know what to ask for.

ncknaklawns
03-05-2011, 02:02 AM
See if you can find the parts manual will show breakdown and numbers.

jiggz
03-05-2011, 02:10 AM
hummm that mangled piece looks like a bearing race.. that thing is tore up lol..

what kind of mower is that?..normally you can get all parts manuals in pdf form on the companys website..good luch

jiggz
03-05-2011, 02:14 AM
actually yea it is the race.. look you have one complete bearing and only 1/2 of the other sitting on top of castor fork in the first picture.. looks like a big zip washer

944own
03-05-2011, 07:17 AM
I see what you are saying, it is a lesco ztwo same mower as cub tank. I got the manual for the cub tank I think I know what I need. Im going to the cub dealer and see if I can get the parts thanks for the help I will let you know how it goes.

lotsagrass
03-05-2011, 07:27 AM
That's definitely a ruined bearing assembly. I hope it didn't scrape up the inside too much while all that mess was grinding around in there.

944own
03-05-2011, 07:33 AM
it looks OK on the inside I cleaned all the old grease out last night so I could get a decent look at it.

fatboynormmie
03-05-2011, 08:06 AM
What you have all mangled up there is considered the cup part of the bearing.That cup part is what actually houses the roller bearings and keeps them together as one unit.A bearing set consists of 2 parts a cup and a race.The race is a beveled metal ring that the cup fits into perfectly and what the roller bearings spin on and the race is pressed fit into the caster tube with a special race driver or a punch and should be a very tight fit.The race is a fixed part of the bearing assembly and the cup is what moves.

I would wipe both races of all excess grease and inspect.Sometimes you get lucky and they don't get damaged with a bearing failure.If you find any scoring on the beveled surface it needs replacing.If it still looks smooth I would install all new bearing cups top and bottom and do both front caster assemblies.Before installing new cup bearings always pack the bearings with grease.I do this by putting a glob of grease in the palm of my gloved hand and rake the the outer edge of the cage that holds the roller bearings through the grease all the way around the whole bearing cup till the grease is pushed out though all the roller bearings.Once greased drop them suckers in and tighten the caster assembly just to snug or no up and down or side to side movement and do not over tighten.

lawnboy dan
03-05-2011, 08:09 AM
good luck getting parts for a lesco

Landrus2
03-05-2011, 08:18 AM
it looks OK on the inside I cleaned all the old grease out last night so I could get a decent look at it.

Try an auto parts store they can match one up. and you got to grease more often
If not every day every other day is a must on these mowers :weightlifter::weightlifter:

ashgrove landscaping
03-05-2011, 09:09 AM
This is one of the most successful threads I've seen. Ha ha. seriously though.

CHUCK'SLAWN
03-05-2011, 09:35 AM
The mangled piece is called a cage it holds all the bearing in place on the inner race of the cone you can get the bearing # off the inner race you will need to drive the outer races out of the spindle and the # is on them go to bearing supply or order them online

BINKY1902
03-05-2011, 10:08 AM
That is one chewed up bearing. Hopefully you didn't score the seat too bad. Since bearings are so cheap, I might consider replacing the one on the other castor as well. If it's had the same amount of maintenance as that one, and same conditions, it may not be far behind until it goes out.

mowingmachine
03-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Yes that is the cage. Once that fails all of the rollers fall out. That should be a very common bearing that is available locally.

944own
03-05-2011, 12:16 PM
OK I went to the cub dealer this morn and got the bearing you guys were correct the mangled metal was the outer part of the bearing that holds the bearings in. I attached a pic of it now, I dont understand why there is a little gap between the yoke and the arm it is a little bigger gap than the other side but it turns free and has no play. I drove it and it does not wobble or anything and I was wondering if it could throw the cut off so I measured the deck and it must be so minimal that they are still perfectly level but does this look normal. I also noticed the other side was a little tighter to turn when I had it up on the jack do you think this is just because maybe the other side is wearing out and will probably have the same prob soon. The part was $20.00 does this look good to you guys.

944own
03-05-2011, 12:19 PM
good luck getting parts for a lesco

I dont understand why everytime I start a thread about lesco I get this response. Lawnboy do you not understand Cub cadet made lesco mowers this mower is a m54 tank painted green so parts are absolutely not a issue and same goes for my walk behind it is a cub painted green. Please do a little research before posting this BS everytime a lesco thread comes up

BINKY1902
03-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Looks like your back in business. It's a good idea to pull the bearings out of the castors every year or so and soak/clean them, and repack them with fresh grease. It doesn't take much grit to get between the housing and bearings to lock one up. It sure won't hurt to replace the other one, bearings are something that don't hurt to be replaced in pairs. Kinda like on a trailer axle, if you lose a bearing on one side you might as well replace the other.

Landrus2
03-05-2011, 12:51 PM
You lucky you did it yourself other wise it would be $120
Looks good the little air gap you have it will lessen with time

Landrus2
03-05-2011, 12:52 PM
You lucky you did it yourself other wise it would be $120
Looks good the little air gap you have it will lessen with time.:weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:

Landrus2
03-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Ops what happened here

kilgoja
03-05-2011, 12:57 PM
i've never seen a mower where the castor wheel bearings failed...guess it does happen though..just keep them greased regularly...although there was grease in there so that wasn't the issue lol...who knows...bad bearing i guess

fatboynormmie
03-05-2011, 01:00 PM
OK I went to the cub dealer this morn and got the bearing you guys were correct the mangled metal was the outer part of the bearing that holds the bearings in. I attached a pic of it now, I dont understand why there is a little gap between the yoke and the arm it is a little bigger gap than the other side but it turns free and has no play. I drove it and it does not wobble or anything and I was wondering if it could throw the cut off so I measured the deck and it must be so minimal that they are still perfectly level but does this look normal. I also noticed the other side was a little tighter to turn when I had it up on the jack do you think this is just because maybe the other side is wearing out and will probably have the same prob soon. The part was $20.00 does this look good to you guys.

Looks from the pic that the fork is tweaked alittle, like you bumped something alittle too hard one time,but heck it could have came that way form the factory.Not a huge deal as long as theres no binding while rotating .Like I and others have said you should get new bearings for the other caster or at least pull it apart clean the old bearings and repack with fresh grease. Also after a few hours of use recheck for play.

944own
03-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Ready to roll out monday.:cool2:

kilgoja
03-05-2011, 01:26 PM
woohoo!!! good luck this year!!!

944own
03-05-2011, 02:14 PM
woohoo!!! good luck this year!!!

Thanks man you to our grass is growing.:cool2: