PDA

View Full Version : Lazer Quality of cut question

SIG
09-16-2002, 02:57 PM
Hey guys,
Just bought a new 60" 25 Hp Lazer EPS. Was mowing on Sat. and noticed there were a lot of Stragglers not cut, near the middle of the cutting width. Mower was set on 3.5". The deck is level. I was under the impression that the blades on Lazers were already pitched foward. Is the height just too high too get a good clean cut or is there something I am missing on the setup of the machine, cause lord knows who put the thing together at the dealer.

SIG
09-16-2002, 04:13 PM
All you Exmark guys and no suggestions?? I'm disappointed

Blessed 1
09-16-2002, 05:05 PM
Maybe they are all out cutting after that weekend rain:D . I have a 52" Toro Z Master ( 1st Cousin to Exmark) and I noticed that some types of grass cut better than others, even with new blades. Around here Centipede cuts real pretty, Nice and even but there is a kind of weed here that shoots up overnight that even with new blades they sometimes bend over and spring back up requiring a second cut. I have noticed that when I get to thos patches I slow down a little and It helps. :cool: P.S. Congrats on the new ZTR. Aint nothing like getting a new "Hot Rod":gunsfirin

TLS
09-16-2002, 05:44 PM
Hey SIG,

I'll try to help here. I don't know what mower you previously had, so....

First, make sure you check the blade tip height with the tool shown in the picture. 3.5" on the lift arm sticker is NOT always accurate. Make sure you have an 1/8" forward blade pitch. 1/4" is TOO much, and 0" is just not enough. I'm going to state the obvious here, but you are using SHARP blades, right? I know you said it is a NEW mower, but NEW blades aren't SHARP blades. Make sure your free load RPM's are set to 3750 (+/- 50) NO LOAD, or higher. You said you have the EFI, so I have NO idea how to adjust RPM's on this motor. Lastly, SLOW down! The grass we are cutting I'm sure is very similar. Highly drought stressed, and now some rain and humidity. It equals longer/higher turf, with weak stems. It really likes to just lay down and NOT get sucked up to cut.

DO NOT take for granted that because your mower is NEW, that any of the above SHOULD be OK. The factory gets them "close", its up to the dealer, and what "HE" thinks needs adjustment out of the crate.

Another thing to mention, 3.5" is about my limit for most lawns. This mower really likes to cut low. I refuse to cut lower than 3" ANYTIME. Those that report good cuts at high speed, and with mulching kits are often cutting less than 2.5"!!!

Let me know you findings on the above questions...

John Gamba
09-16-2002, 07:50 PM
Sis
Mow at three and A Quarter. If that Does not work go to Three".

They don't like to mow A mix of cool season and warm season grassess. if you can Keep the blades sharp and run high lift's you should do fine.

I Have found double blades(Both high Lifts) will do a Lot better In most conditions Like wet or thick grass. not So good with bagging leaves.

John.

Runner
09-16-2002, 08:16 PM
All I know, is that this dude has got an awesome mower, and it's GONNA be right! Hang in there, Sig, and we'll get to the bottom of this. There are some other factors to consider if these remedies don't work, but all of what TLS has told you is right on the mark. He knows all too well, and so do I!!!;)

Joel B.
09-16-2002, 09:15 PM
Hi Sig,

I demoed an Exmark Lazer HP 48" a while ago and like you was not very impressed with the cut. It didn't look much better than my John Deere LX-176 lawn tractor. I noticed that in the same places where my tractor seemed to miss grass, the Lazer missed some too. Also, I mow a funeral home that has beautiful, thick lush grass and my tractor does a very nice job cutting it. The grass you are mowing has a lot to do with quality of cut. Have you tried the mower on some different lawns?

Joel B.

awm
09-16-2002, 09:19 PM
if your machine was issued with high lift change to standard or mulchers,[not gators]. the high grass tends to be blown down by blow back . which in my situation is caused by too much lift.the standard
dont create this over lift problem. of course every body got to learn what works best with their mower in different situations. it can get a bit complicated.
trying to allways have the best blade for each situation.a mulcher open chute gives me a pretty good over all result,if i just dont want to fool with it.jmho

SLS
09-16-2002, 10:21 PM
Along the lines of what TLS said:

Do not trust that your dealer has set the deck correctly.

When I picked up my Lazer Z the deck was set 1 inch lower than what the quadrant was indicating and there was NO pitch (deck was level).

I spent an hour or so with a tape measure, a couple of wrenches, and the owners manual...and she cut great afterwards. :)

And like awm stated...I too have found that the standard or 'wavy' mulchers do not leave as many stringers. I picked up a couple of lawns this year that were infested with Buckshorn Plantain (those long, thin weeds with the little bullet-shaped things on top) and they about drove me crazy. Turns out that the hi-lifts were blowing 'em forward before they were being cut. The 'wavy' mulchers took care of that problem.

With a little experimentation (and possible adjustment) you will find that you now own one of the finest cutting machines available.

Congratulations on your new toy! :D

Mike (MLC)
09-17-2002, 12:02 AM
If you take your hi- lift blades that are new and grind the edge all the way to the center hole (on both sides of the blade); it will cut all the little sprigs of grass that are being left behind. I have tried this and it works great for me. Try it and see. Let me know how it does if you do.

MARYLANDMOWER
09-17-2002, 12:31 AM
Hi Guys,
This is Sig, somehow I couldn't log-on from home as Sig. Anyway, I appreciate all the advice. I think TLS has got a lot of good info. THANK YOU! I think there is a lot of good advice here. I was mowing tonight and it did O.K. but I was mowing a church that gets a little long and very weedy. I have had 2 other Lazers but bought them from a different dealer. I do think the deck needs to be pitched foward some. The mower runs awesome and is faster than my older one! I'll keep you updated, but I expect perfection out of my Lazer, cause that is all I have gotten since I started owning them. Thanks Again fella's you all have been a lot of help!!!
Sig

Fivestar
09-17-2002, 01:07 AM
Try Exmarks "Excalibur" Blades. They do about as good on those nasty weeds as can be exspected and cut nice grass really good.
They have a cutting edge that goes almost to the bolt hole. Works well for me. mtcw ::cool:

John Gamba
09-17-2002, 07:52 AM
Runner I Know about Awesome Mowers i have 4 26FI Lazers And 3 more On the way(2003 28HPFI Lazers.
The Advice You gave Is Very good. But i have learned to try easier Solutions first. In dry grass Sig can also try the solid lift Excabular. I Have Had Very good luck with then. double Blades are the answer In wet Or heavy Bluegrass.
Sig sorry to miss spell your Name And i hope you solve Your problem. the lazers are very good mowers.

John.