PDA

View Full Version : Funniest thing I've heard all week

HARRIS Property Management
03-05-2011, 09:38 AM
We roll in to a neighborhood yesterday to do a little landscaping at a ladys house that manages one of the apartment complexes we contract for. There is a fella cutting grass at the house next door....I dont know, maybe mid 40's. We all get out of the truck, I wave at him. He doesnt wave back...just stares. I wave again and he says 'who do you work for?'. I walk over to him and point to the lettering on the uniform and he ask if that is my company. I told him it is. He says with a firm voice... 'Well this is my neighborhood! I'm on the HOA board and these are my customers!' It was so cute, I just had to let it go and told him it looked like he was doing a wonderful job. We laughed about that just about the entire afternoon.

2ndNature
03-05-2011, 09:44 AM
I would flyer every house in the neighborhood

HARRIS Property Management
03-05-2011, 10:19 AM

Funny! I figured I would just let him have his moment.

ALC-GregH
03-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Is that something you'd do for spite or because you need more work?

Agape
03-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Is that something you'd do for spite or because you need more work?

...........both! lol

ALC-GregH
03-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Wrong answer Don. Karma is a biotch.

kilgoja
03-05-2011, 01:33 PM
i would've said i'm not here to steal your customers but i'm here to cut the yards of customers that aren't yours

JayD
03-05-2011, 01:41 PM
There was NO need for the neighbor to act like that....He is lucky the guy did not tell him off....I try to be nice to every one, but that does not give them the wright to talk badly to me either. My :) can change to :realmad: feel fast if provoked LOL.. :laugh:

STIHL GUY
03-05-2011, 02:12 PM
haha its best to just be polite and not pay attention to those types of people

944own
03-05-2011, 02:28 PM
You should ask what he charges and then undercut all his yards for being a Richard Cranium.LOL

torotorotoro
03-05-2011, 05:31 PM
then he would be hurting himself

Patriot Services
03-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Why didn't he just pull out and urinate on the yard to mark his territory. Reminds me of my HOA mafia. Now they are trying to get money back from the hack everybody told them not to hire to do the common areas.
Posted via Mobile Device

Field King
03-05-2011, 06:43 PM
was his last name Gotti by any chance?

jiggz
03-06-2011, 02:39 AM
you handled it perfectly.. sometimes you get knuckleheads that get a little out of control and dont know when to stop.. thats when i calmly say "your gonna get your self into trouble if they keep talking like that.. and i walk away 1/2 way threw the sentence.. it doesn't give them time to respond if they do i keep walking.. it ends all further communication some times they even head nod or say hello the next time..lol

nothing is more disturbing to a loud mouth then a calm fellow not playing into there games

jiggz
03-06-2011, 03:02 AM
If i were you.. i dont know how close you are with your customers---I could get away with this cause all my customer are almost like family at this point.. but i would bring it up to her make that dude look like a ******* scumbag!!! cause thats what he is!!! just nonchalantly one day when your there talking say that guy that cuts your neighbors house, you ever talk to him? youll instantly know how she feels about him..from there play your position, if she likes him play it off .but if thats the way the guy is she if prolly iffy about the dude.. so youll youll problally be able to **tap your head while asking is the guy is ok* did he have a strooke or something " he yelled at me the other day told me this was his turff.. i wasnt sure what to say it was like something out of a movie hahah... dont go out of your way to make it obvious your baggin on the guy, but sorta passive aggressively make the guy out to look like a total loon.. word ill get around.. just keep doing a great job and youll be cool

Patriot Services
03-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Sounds like a typical HOA president to me. Think they are royalty and kings of the cul de sac. Egotistical d-bags with more power than they have any right to.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dogbonz
03-06-2011, 10:27 AM
It would of been funny to ask him, Really, what's your company name? Are you legit? Do you pay your taxes? and such! LOL

Littleriver1
03-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Isn't it funny how every time some one in business seems to do well his Competitors feel they have been cheated. I think it is best to let them feel cheated and to be sure they know I don't feel cheated when they do well.

D&K Lawns
03-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Was he on a Weedeater brand 26 inch rider? lol

JB1
03-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Maybe it was, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lawnmower-Steve/270638225335

Oldtimer
03-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Instead of offering suggestions about how the situation could or should have been handled, I think a lot of us could learn from the response of a business professional.

Oldtimer

AzLawnMan
03-06-2011, 08:15 PM
We roll in to a neighborhood yesterday to do a little landscaping at a ladys house that manages one of the apartment complexes we contract for. There is a fella cutting grass at the house next door....I dont know, maybe mid 40's. We all get out of the truck, I wave at him. He doesnt wave back...just stares. I wave again and he says 'who do you work for?'. I walk over to him and point to the lettering on the uniform and he ask if that is my company. I told him it is. He says with a firm voice... 'Well this is my neighborhood! I'm on the HOA board and these are my customers!' It was so cute, I just had to let it go and told him it looked like he was doing a wonderful job. We laughed about that just about the entire afternoon.

I am currently bidding on HOA with 165 houses and the current LCO saw me talking with the president on one occasion and the next time I was out the current LCO blocked me in with his truck and trailer. I had to laugh, seeing this will be the 3rd property I will have taken from him and I have 2 other properties that he does and I have bids on those as well. I was at another one of his properties and he stopped and asked who I was, I dont wear company shirts for this reason. I said I was just a guy giving them a bid, he said "Well I think you are out of your league on these properties, go back to the minors and stop trying to play in my league." I responded, "your right, dont know what I was thinking." Afterwards 2 of my crews called and asked if they could have lunch together, I told them I would meet them and I would pay. Well what do you know, Mr. Big league pulled up and decided to have lunch there as well. After we ate I went over the rest of the schedule with my guys and sent them on their way. The other LCO came over and said, "Hey I didnt mean anything by what I said, its just I have been with these properties for years and they havent given me a reason why they wanna get rid of me. Nothing against you though. How many other crews do you have?" I smiled and said, "Its cool. Oh, those werent my guys, just guys I know."

Southern Pride
03-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Soo I don't get it. What was the point of telling him they weren't your guys?

OP, everyone has come across these worthless humans like you describe in the original post. Make a point to stay in that neighborhood and generously wave at him everytime you see him.

AzLawnMan
03-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Soo I don't get it. What was the point of telling him they weren't your guys?

OP, everyone has come across these worthless humans like you describe in the original post. Make a point to stay in that neighborhood and generously wave at him everytime you see him.

For people who know me on a personal level know what type of business I have and somewhat of an idea of the kind of money I make. Otherwise, for all you know I make myself out to be, in all kindness I am just another "wetback landscaper" and thats just how I like it. I dont advertise myself as some succesfull business man, even though I consider myself as one. People will ask me very often, "Hows business?" I reply, "Slow, dead slow, just trying to make ends meet." Like I said, just how I like it. A close friend of mine, who I now do business with, came with me to my shop last week before we went hunting and he said, "Dude, what the hell do you have going on here? I thought you worked by yourself ?!" I have known him for 6 years now. Very often I have learned that the guys that pump themselves up as "I know everything, I have everything and business is awsome" very rarley have anything going on. In this economy of many people out of work and money really is tight, I dont share any info that is not needed, especially with people I do not know. This guy thought he was some big time LCO and I was just some guy getting a "bone" until reallity starred him in the face.

Southern Pride
03-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Welp, look's like you just broke your golden rule :D ha I'm kidding, but yea, I know guys like you.

AzLawnMan
03-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Well, not really. There are only a handfull of LCO's that know me on this site and I do business with all of them.

Southern Pride
03-06-2011, 10:37 PM
I know I was kidding but you know what I meant. Well, good for you. This site has plenty of guys opposite you.

AzLawnMan
03-10-2011, 06:03 PM
I know I was kidding but you know what I meant. Well, good for you. This site has plenty of guys opposite you.

Have you replaced the motor in the echo 770 yet? I have 3 that need new motors, but im not to crazy about replacing motors on blowers. So just seeing if the replacement motor lasts as long as the stock.

kodak mowing
03-10-2011, 07:52 PM

yeah i would too,last year i got a call from a lady you lived in a really fancy subdivision every house over 1 million each,to come out and bid because her current guy wasn't mowing it as often as she had wanted among other things,so 1st time i show up to do the job,i see the old guy next door working i wave,he didn't,i get the job done,and load up the truck the guy comes over and threatens me to stay out of his neighborhood and he mows 95% of the hoa.then he tells me that "you throat cutting under bidders are killing the biz",but here's the thing, i change more than him to do this yard, his prices are cut throat,and he has a full time job as a real estate agent and mows on the side with no ins.so because he threaten me i dropped fliers and business cards at the whole sub.i picked up 6 in that sub last year,and i was more than the other guy but i did the better job,i hope i get the rest of the neighborhood this year.there's plenty of work out there for the one's who wanna work.

Southern Pride
03-11-2011, 12:16 AM
Have you replaced the motor in the echo 770 yet? I have 3 that need new motors, but im not to crazy about replacing motors on blowers. So just seeing if the replacement motor lasts as long as the stock.

What the ****? No, my 770 has been nothing but perfect to be honest. That scares me, but at the same time I haven't heard of anyone with a single problem with these blowers. Are your three not under warranty? I have another echo blower that is 10 years old (pb403t) I used today on a cleanup. Started first pull. I wouldn't find one person with a lemon odd but you have three that need new engines??? That I find odd. Your guys abuse your stuff or they new or anything? (Maybe put wrong mix in?) How long have you been running them?

Let me know.

Griffin

StanWilhite
03-11-2011, 12:58 AM
Maybe it was, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lawnmower-Steve/270638225335

:laugh::laugh:

AzLawnMan
03-11-2011, 11:09 AM
What the ****? No, my 770 has been nothing but perfect to be honest. That scares me, but at the same time I haven't heard of anyone with a single problem with these blowers. Are your three not under warranty? I have another echo blower that is 10 years old (pb403t) I used today on a cleanup. Started first pull. I wouldn't find one person with a lemon odd but you have three that need new engines??? That I find odd. Your guys abuse your stuff or they new or anything? (Maybe put wrong mix in?) How long have you been running them?

Let me know.

Griffin

I dont think its abuse, but more so wear and tear. We usually replace blowers every 6 months. My father in laws company usually replaces every 3-5 months. I would be happy to have a blower last at least a year, but that hasnt happened in years!! I buy all blowers, trimmers and weed eaters new, never used. Trimmers will usually last us 6-8 months and weed-eaters years. Blowers either the echo 770 or the same model with shindawa I think 650 only last on average 6 months. My crews will usually run 4 blowers 3-5 hours straight. At $560 a pop, it adds up fast.

Southern Pride
03-11-2011, 08:35 PM
holy shitz. You sir are working the hell out of those blowers. I plan on having my 770 around for about a decade haha. I know it may sound crazy to you but my pb403t is 10 years old starts on first pull. That's crazy though. I treat mine very well and will be blowing off 10-15 residential accounts a week with it so hopefully it will last. For $600 it better.

AzLawnMan
03-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Funny though, I have an old grey echo 450 maybe, and thats stays in my truck in case I see things at a property I can blow off real quick while inspecting. But because of all the new emissions they dont make the blowers like they used too.