PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Leaf Rakes

Homie
09-16-2002, 04:30 PM
I am interested in a wide (36-42") leaf rake, but cannot find anything except the standard plastic jobs at Home Depot.

Can anyone give me an internet site that has something like it?

Thanks.

jeffyr
09-16-2002, 04:59 PM
Commercial quality....I have not found such a rake that will last.

However...6 years ago I purchased 5 Crapsman leaf rakes--some metal and some plastic. I get new rakes at least once per year and I have not payed for another set since the initial purchase ($17-$22 each). I walk in and throw 'em up on the counter and walk out with all new rakes as soon as these start to flex or crack or ....well you don't need a reason. Make sure you buy enough to get through the season because they do sell out and may not have replacements in November.

jeffyr:D

sprout
09-16-2002, 05:39 PM
:D Hey Homie-- Go to www.gemplers.com, item #R8330

Runner
09-16-2002, 08:23 PM
I don't know. I've always used the real wide Ames rakes, and made custom handles. (Ash that I keep when I replace the rake heads). Also, I've found the wide Union rakes (burgundy ones) a little stiffer, but what Jeffyr is saying really makes sense. He's told us about these rakes before, and the free replacement.(Probably last year at about this time :D) And, when you think of it, if they perform rather well, then this would be a great way to go!;)

MOW ED
09-16-2002, 09:23 PM
Get a good backpack blower. There is no need for a rake on my trailer. Horsepower beats arm power every time.

mdb landscaping
09-16-2002, 09:29 PM
i still use a rake sometimes when stacking leaves, or shoving them into the leaf loader. i too have broken a number of the ames plastic heads. i just use a pitch fork now, and only use the rake to pick up the loose ends. id be interested in a good quality wide rake if somebody made a good one.

parkmaster
personally i like the all metal ones. ames makes a good leaf rake.
home depot sells them for under $15 each get the kind that has
a screw through the handle.

AL Inc
I'm with Jeffyr-I buy all my hand tools at Sears. Buy it once and that's it. The yellow fiberglass tools are long lasting and the bright color helps avoid leaving them behind.

parkmaster
09-16-2002, 09:36 PM
you still need to rake leaves away from the building before using a backpack or walk behind blower.

jeffyr
09-16-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by MOW ED
Get a good backpack blower. There is no need for a rake on my trailer. Horsepower beats arm power every time.

I agree and would choose a backpack and ground blower if it were the most efficient route every time. But when the twigs/gum balls/leaves/pine needles/acorns need loading on the tarp or pushing into a pile in the road a rake is my weapon of choice.

jeffyr

Ax Man
09-16-2002, 11:27 PM
I used to use a 36" bamboo rake with a hose clamp added to keep the tines from pulling out.
You could push a lot of leaves with a 4 dollar rake.
Now I use the Ames steel tined rake and something called a timber rake with round stiffer tines. (works like a pitch fork some times) but most work is done mechanically.

MOW ED
09-17-2002, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by jeffyr

I agree and would choose a backpack and ground blower if it were the most efficient route every time. But when the twigs/gum balls/leaves/pine needles/acorns need loading on the tarp or pushing into a pile in the road a rake is my weapon of choice.

jeffyr

There my friend is where the Walker SHINES!!!!

Still no rake on my trailer, tarps either.

jeffyr
09-17-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by MOW ED

There my friend is where the Walker SHINES!!!!

Still no rake on my trailer, tarps either.

My Walker shines as well under messy circumstances, but there are times when the most efficient route where I live is to use backpacks and ground blowers and (when necessary) rakes. I can't make the call as to what would work best in Wisconsin because I don't live and work there, but then again I don't claim to know.
I'll give you a birdseye view of the land I and others in the area work on and can say that in the fall everyone here must use a rake or leaf plow to help pile leaves and keep things moving efficiently. I could get away without a rake if I felt like spending extra time blowing small piles of twigs and leaves 2 feet at a pass with a ground blower alongside a backpack. But piling the heavy stuff and moving it to the curb with a plow (or walker pushing) or tarp in a "quick and dirty" cleanup and finishing with the Walker is my quickest route when all the leaves you see below dump in a 2-3 week period with rainy days mixed in.
BTW: There are streets and houses all thorugh the dense covering of oak and maple trees below.:cry: :cry: :cry:

How did this get so far off of "what kind of commercial rake do you like" ?:dizzy:

jeffyr

yardman1
09-17-2002, 08:16 PM
WHAT IS A RAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

Mow&Snow
09-18-2002, 12:59 AM
Rakes are the thing homeowners use to make a mess out of my new clean-up jobs before they get tired and call me.:angel:

Guido
09-18-2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by jeffyr
Commercial quality....I have not found such a rake that will last.

However...6 years ago I purchased 5 Crapsman leaf rakes--some metal and some plastic. I get new rakes at least once per year and I have not payed for another set since the initial purchase ($17-$22 each). I walk in and throw 'em up on the counter and walk out with all new rakes as soon as these start to flex or crack or ....well you don't need a reason. Make sure you buy enough to get through the season because they do sell out and may not have replacements in November.

jeffyr:D

I always bought the large plastic ones from Craftsman. They are actually good rakes, and you can't beat the warranty!

bubble boy
09-18-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by yardman1
WHAT IS A RAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

yeah, i know we all like our power toys here, but c'mon.

twigs and sticks with a blower? rake easier.

and i still use a rake sometimes after doing pruning.

for certain situations, rakes work, until i get a walker.;)