PDA

View Full Version : Measuring by SQ.FT. lawns not square?

JayD
03-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Hey guys, just thought I would throw this out there. How do you guys measure for square footage if the yard is odd shape like a pie/wedge shape or any other shape. It seems like anymore all these properties are goofy shapes.

I know I can buy IGOlawn or what ever it is, but they just priced them self out of my range. I liked it and was just getting ready to buy a package from them and all of the sudden, the price jumped up to high for me...So I just do it the way I have always done done it, by wheel.

Roger
03-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Use high school trig fundamentals.

signature lawns
03-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Hey guys, just thought I would throw this out there. How do you guys measure for square footage if the yard is odd shape like a pie/wedge shape or any other shape. It seems like anymore all these properties are goofy shapes.

I know I can buy IGOlawn or what ever it is, but they just priced them self out of my range. I liked it and was just getting ready to buy a package from them and all of the sudden, the price jumped up to high for me...So I just do it the way I have always done done it, by wheel.

http://www.goilawn.com/promo/promo.aspx

Great website that gives you a lot of tools. Allows you to trace the lawn areas only giving you exact square footage.

kilgoja
03-05-2011, 02:20 PM
don't measure sq. footage...just use approx. measurements...like 1/8 acre, 1/4 acre, 1/2 acre, 3/4 acre, 1 acre and so on...if it's a little bigger or a little smaller no big deal...i don't think any yard is exactly 1/2 acre or anything...it's always a little more or a little less...no need to get that technical about it...just use approx. measurements

MOW ED
03-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Trig fundamentals like stated by Roger. Make it a big square and divide it down. It doesn't have to be exact to a decimal point. Otherwise my county has an online database that I can pull everyones tax info up on. I get the total sq ft of the lot from there and just figure for the house and concrete and subtract. Don't make it too hard on yourself. Check with your county to see if ther is an online database for you.

JayD
03-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Use high school trig fundamentals.

:laugh::laugh: I'v been out of school way to long to remember how to use it..Now that I think of it, I never had that class...

JayD
03-05-2011, 08:49 PM
http://www.goilawn.com/promo/promo.aspx

Great website that gives you a lot of tools. Allows you to trace the lawn areas only giving you exact square footage.

So what is the promo code?

oldclawn
03-06-2011, 12:01 AM
try Google earth pro---very good, quick and the package is cheap if you have a lot of properties or estimates to do.
Another average site is findlotsize.com

Agape
03-06-2011, 01:46 AM
you can take measures about every 3-4 feet (length) and total the accumulative feet (all measurements) and divide it by times measured (avg) and do the same for width and then multiply the two avg. but that's why I just eyeball, cause PITA.

Armadillolawncare
03-06-2011, 02:21 AM
This will allow you to measure using sq. feet, acres, miles etc. and best of all it is free.

http://www.measurefromouterspace.com/index.cfm

grassman177
03-06-2011, 09:08 AM

use geometry