PDA

View Full Version : Who is eligible for commercial bids??

TexasTurfgrass
03-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Someone asked me who commercial companies, HOA's, and schools are required to let bid on the property in Texas, but I was not sure.

According to our HOA I think it is the discretion of the board of directors. Does anyone have information on this?

For commercial bids in Texas I heard it must be open to everyone (by law). Anyone know if this is true?

Thanks,
Mark

JB1
03-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Someone asked me who commercial companies, HOA's, and schools are required to let bid on the property in Texas, but I was not sure.

According to our HOA I think it is the discretion of the board of directors. Does anyone have information on this?

For commercial bids in Texas I heard it must be open to everyone (by law). Anyone know if this is true?

Thanks,
Mark

so are you saying that if you own a business, you have to let everybody bid your business. just clarifying.

Mowingman
03-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Well, city contract bidding, etc. might be open to anyone, but not everyone can qualify. Our city requires a bid bond and if you are the successful bidder, you have to post a performance bond. These bonds are issued based on your credit rating and previous experience with the type of work you are bidding. When the bond requirement was added to the city bidding package, the typical number of bidders on lawn maint work dropped from around 20, down to 6. MOST people do not know how to get bonding, or can not qualify for a performance bond.
You, as an individual can bid for contracts on local, county, or state work. All you have to do is get signed up to be on the bidder notification lists, and meet the minimum qualifications.
I have been awarded bids in the past for city, county, and state work here in Texas. The process can be frustrating, but, once you get a foot in the door, you have it made from there on out.

Turf Dawg
03-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Well, city contract bidding, etc. might be open to anyone, but not everyone can qualify. Our city requires a bid bond and if you are the successful bidder, you have to post a performance bond. These bonds are issued based on your credit rating and previous experience with the type of work you are bidding. When the bond requirement was added to the city bidding package, the typical number of bidders on lawn maint work dropped from around 20, down to 6. MOST people do not know how to get bonding, or can not qualify for a performance bond.
You, as an individual can bid for contracts on local, county, or state work. All you have to do is get signed up to be on the bidder notification lists, and meet the minimum qualifications.
I have been awarded bids in the past for city, county, and state work here in Texas. The process can be frustrating, but, once you get a foot in the door, you have it made from there on out.

I am not sure about HOA's but Jeff [mowingman] is pretty much right for the state,city and county work.
I also know that the schools are supposed to have you bid, with qualifications, and have one year contracts that they can renew for one or two years [i forget] if you are both happy before they have to publicly bid it again.

If something is not paid for by tax payers, then they can get whoever they want.

Brodie
03-05-2011, 05:51 PM
In Australia larger companies and government bodies that need work done post a tender for work. These tenders can take two forms.

1) Open Tender - anyone can look at and bid on the tender proposed but they must meet minimum standards in order for the tender to be reviewed. The tender document will specify a level of training and competency's to perform the work, also types of machinery suitable for the work. Most tenders are now looking for bidders with a Quality Management System in place because this insures a quality of work.

2) Closed or Invited Tender - Is on that is only offered certain service providers they still have the same criteria for acceptance but are only offered to a select group of businesses.

Another thing that may be of interest is that it is not always the lowest price that wins the bid.

Hope this helps.