PDA

View Full Version : FYI Gasoline Vs Ethanol

Ric
03-05-2011, 02:55 PM
FYI

Florida now has a 91 octane 100 Gasoline for RV and boats. It has the road tax paid so it is legal to run in your car or truck. If the price right I found a 22% increase in my truck gas mileage.

Big advantage comes with two cycle engines. There is no alcohol to dissolve the added two cycle oil and engine life is back to the old days before ethanol. Plus 100% Gasoline has a 6 month shelve life as compared to about a month and a half with ethanol.

I have been purchasing 100% 91 octane gasoline from a local station for about 5 to 8 pennies a gallon higher than 91% ethanol. However that station had storage tank problems and was shut down by the EPA. This has forced me to purchase straight Gasoline from a Marina at super high prices. I no longer use it in my truck because of price. I still feel it is worth the added expense for the life of my air cooled engines.

Keith
03-05-2011, 03:46 PM
I buy non-ethanol here locally, but I have to pay dearly for it. It's at least 30 cents higher per gallon, sometimes more. But it's a small price to pay for the equipment.

In my trucks it doesn't make enough difference to justify the extra cost. My V10 F350 gets about .75 mpg better with it, and my little 4 cylinder Ranger does about 1.5 mpg better on it.

If you are looking for non-ethanol gas... http://pure-gas.org/

Ric
03-05-2011, 04:33 PM
I buy non-ethanol here locally, but I have to pay dearly for it. It's at least 30 cents higher per gallon, sometimes more. But it's a small price to pay for the equipment.

In my trucks it doesn't make enough difference to justify the extra cost. My V10 F350 gets about .75 mpg better with it, and my little 4 cylinder Ranger does about 1.5 mpg better on it.

If you are looking for non-ethanol gas... http://pure-gas.org/

Keith

My GMC with a 4 speed automatic and 350 Cubic inch engine went from 13 to 16 MPG or 23% increase. At 250 K miles, My 4 Cyclinder Ranger took a dump before I could get a reading on it. Interesting enough being the fancy Splash model my buddy traded me for the Ranger and plans to rebuild it. Got to admit I miss that little buggy. I can't decide on what to replace my grocery getter with.

Keith
03-05-2011, 07:16 PM
I love my little Ranger. It averages 26 mpg, almost all in-town, stop and go in the winter, and about 24 in the summer with A/C on. It's a 2008, and I paid just a hair over $12k for it new. It's stripped with just A/C, but it does the job for me.

extremepms
03-08-2011, 07:44 PM
A lot of marina's around here sell non-ethanol gas for about a buck a gallon more. I run it in all of my small engines. 4-wheelers. boat, mowers and all of my 2-cycle mix.

Ric
03-09-2011, 12:03 AM
I love my little Ranger. It averages 26 mpg, almost all in-town, stop and go in the winter, and about 24 in the summer with A/C on. It's a 2008, and I paid just a hair over $12k for it new. It's stripped with just A/C, but it does the job for me.

Keith

The 4 cylinder Ranger is the one to have. Once you move up to a 6 cylinder Ranger you might as well get a F 150 because it gets better gas mileage. Now the 4 cylinder is weak if you tow any thing. I have a small 5 X 10 open trailer and I couldn't get into 5th gear towing. Gas mileage sucked towing also.

Interesting enough around town I got the 26 MPG just like you. But Put me on the interstate driving 80 going to Miami and I only got 20 MPG. I think it was wind resistances that caused the little 4 cylinder to work harder and burn more gas.

Keith
03-09-2011, 01:42 AM
I have seen incredible mileage on the highway, but not at 80mph. Above 65mph, the mileage suffers.

No, if you need to tow, pass on the Ranger. All of them. Get a 150 with the EcoBoost and get better mileage than a V6 Ranger.

nobagger
03-09-2011, 07:59 AM
I wish we had a place around here like that. I've noticed a drastic fuel mileage decrease in the past couple months. I use to get around 10-11mpg in our 06 F250 SD and now I bet its in the 7-8mpg range. Everything's running fine on the truck and it's got a K&N air induction kit and super chip but doesn't seem to help. I was at the Ford dealership yesterday and was talking to a new car manager and he said their putting more ethanol in the fuel more than ever now. IDK, maybe it's time to switch to a diesel!

Ric
03-09-2011, 10:08 AM
I have seen incredible mileage on the highway, but not at 80mph. Above 65mph, the mileage suffers.

No, if you need to tow, pass on the Ranger. All of them. Get a 150 with the EcoBoost and get better mileage than a V6 Ranger.

Keith

I am one or the other but not in between. What I mean is I like the little Grogery getter Trucks for running around town. But if I get a full size truck it is going to be a real truck and not a F 150 car with a bed on it.

Nobagger

By the time you add up all the cost, I am not sure Diesel is the most economical.