PDA

View Full Version : Help with Lawn Rennovation

Hopper1124
09-16-2002, 05:26 PM
This is the problem I have a customer that wants their lawn overseeded. The lawn is very brown from lack of rain ,it also has thatch build up, can I just go ahead and overseed over the existing turf? Or should I dethatch it then overseed? Any thoughts? I will be using a Bluebird overseeder.

Also same lawn has a sink hole about 30 x 6 since the lawn is already brown and struggling can I just fill the sink hole with top soil and seed?

Anyone know of a good Fescue blend I am in the Ohio Area?

Thanks for the help

wmsland
09-16-2002, 08:21 PM
Aerate, thatch it real well, fill in the hole and overseed it. Why fescue, is it in a shady location, if not try a blend of bluegrass and perennial rye.

robert payer
09-16-2002, 09:02 PM
Hopper,

I just overseeded my lawn 2 weeks ago. It is coming in great!
Yes I used Petite turf Fescue (Crossfire II)! Will work well in the sun. Good choice in my opinion. Drought resistent, pest resistent, less water requirement and less cutting. This might become the seed of choice here in northern Ohio (Cleveland) The radio gardener shows are really talking it up.

I began the Overseeding by killing the existing lawn twice four days apart. Besure to read label and know your square footage this is vital to success. Vital in killing, seeding, and putting down starter fertilizer. A real must! Dethatch lawn in two directions at about a quarter inch deep. Only pickup thatch from the surface where it clumped up like a ball. Surface thatch will work as a mulch to shade the neew seed. Seed at 5 Lbs. per 1000 Sq. Ft.
New seed must be watered daily until established.

My new lawn at home is now begining to look green!

This thread will be watched in the event further advice can be given.

Good luck! don't forget to measure every thing.

robert payer
09-16-2002, 09:25 PM
Oh Yea, Petite turf fescue(CrossfireII) can you say $2.00 a pound!
Got a deal, paid $1.80 still expensive. Yet it is always a good value.

joshua
09-16-2002, 11:19 PM
unless you're in southern ohio tall fescue won't come in this time of year, but the others will, if you're going to seed with a kentucky blue seed asap, or you may not get the seed to survive if we have a bad winter, (nothern ohio), with the drought over seedings and thatching are almost out of the question for most people unless they can water everyday, for 2 weeks min. for faster germinating seed. just hope that the el nino weathr there promising at the end of the month till next spring does come and we have a extended fall.