PDA

View Full Version : Tried new Red Armor oil.. Horrible!!!

Alekfarmer
03-05-2011, 08:20 PM
So im sort of an oil freak. Its always been something that has interested me and im a firm believer in Amsoil, Redline, Motul, and Klotz being superior to anything else on the market. I visited shindaiwa's website and saw the "Red Armor" worlds greatest 2 stroke oil. Its junk. I filled a fresh can up of 93 octane, ethanol free, and mixed this oil 50:1 and have used it for a couple weeks.

Impressions: Sweet smelling!!! Disgusting sugar smell. I can smell it on me right now(from weed eating just now). Also, My equipment honestly is idling rougher. Not starting as easy. Im telling you, no joke. I know it sounds crazy. I will never buy this again. I used a different can with 93 octane and Amsoil at 70:1 and my equipment was idling smooth and running perfectly. Run normal oil and mix in seafoam if you want a spotless engine, not this garbage.

Red Armor= JUNK!

Clark Griswold
03-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll just stick with the cheap crap I buy at WalMart from now on, hey it works!

ed2hess
03-05-2011, 10:10 PM
You need to do a little more testing before you throw that kind of information out this oil is an excellant oil. I have tested if on over 20 echo units that had carbon build up problems and the results were less carbon. And I am buying into the fact that they got something in the oil to reduce the affects of corn gas.

Alekfarmer
03-05-2011, 10:26 PM
I don't disagree that they clean the engines out, it was the poor idling and the hard starting that turned me off. The smell, again, horrible sweet smell. I have had great results with seafoam decarboning my engines, and the oil/gas mixtures that smell like gas, not sweet perfume!

White Gardens
03-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Alexfarmer.

You should try Opti-2 if you already haven't. I think the stuff is awesome. No smoke to speak of, no smell, easy to mix, and absolutely no carbon buildup in my equipment.

Alekfarmer
03-05-2011, 11:40 PM
I love opti-2 its good stuff. Ive ran it 70:1 before. I like that it doesn't smell. My buddy had about 200 of the 1 gallon packets ive been taking a couple every time i go over to his house haha

weapons of grass destruction
03-07-2011, 09:53 AM
I would not run 93 octane.
My mechanic said to run 89.
I dont know if its true or not.

Alekfarmer
03-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Well they actually say at least 89 octane. I run 93 because fuel looses octane from sitting and oil added. If you call echo or redmax, they will tell you at least 89 octane but 93 is the best. 93 has a better detergent package in it and helps to burn cleaner

White Gardens
03-07-2011, 12:11 PM
I love opti-2 its good stuff. Ive ran it 70:1 before. I like that it doesn't smell. My buddy had about 200 of the 1 gallon packets ive been taking a couple every time i go over to his house haha

Tell your buddy to buy the Opti in a tip and pour bottle. The cost is almost half compared to buying the 1 gallon packets.

sharkey
03-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Do you really run your two cycle engines at 70:1?

Tyler7692
03-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Havent smelled this oil, but sometimes a sweet smell is good... like that of a nice built motor at the strip running 110 octane! Yeah baby....

ashgrove landscaping
03-27-2011, 10:20 AM
I just started using amsoil 100:1 oil last year and notice a big difference. Cleans those old trimmers right out and they run stronger. Never any starting problems either.

grassman177
03-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Alexfarmer.

You should try Opti-2 if you already haven't. I think the stuff is awesome. No smoke to speak of, no smell, easy to mix, and absolutely no carbon buildup in my equipment.

yup. the older engines have some, but only have to clean once a year so not that much :clapping:

grassman177
03-27-2011, 10:46 AM
we get opti-2 in packets that mix 2.5 gal. that is pretty handy and easy for guys to mix without screw up!

fireman1000
03-28-2011, 12:41 AM
Alexfarmer.

Where are you guys buying Opti-2?? I bought some Opti-4 oil a couple of years ago to increase the warranty of my Kawasaki engine when it was new but that was on an out of town trip and I'm unaware of anyone local selling it.