PDA

View Full Version : Spring Aeration

gman75
03-05-2011, 10:36 PM
When do you guys start your spring aeration? How long into the season do you do them?

Any help appreciated.

elitelawnteam1
03-05-2011, 10:46 PM
I usually will keep aerating until it gets real hot, I know last year I had to stop the 2nd week in June.

GTC1187
03-05-2011, 10:51 PM
I would say anytime is a good time to do an aeration, regardless if it's spring or not. Just be sure to get them to schedule another one in 6 months. :)

gman75
03-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Thnx guys.

Exact Rototilling
03-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Until I get busy with mowing. Not worth forfeiting mowing accounts for aerations. I may hire a helper this year but workman's comp, payroll hassles and increased insurance rates may squelch this plan.
Posted via Mobile Device

gman75
03-05-2011, 10:57 PM
As of now, i plan on just getting what i can get regarding aeration. I hit em' hard in the fall and did real good. To me, it just seems that more people in my area look for it in the fall. Hopefully i'll catch a few of the ones who didn't want it then.

elitelawnteam1
03-05-2011, 11:43 PM
interesting, because i've found the exact opposite in IL, nobody thinks about their lawn in the fall, (ironic because the best time to renovate cool season grass is in the fall :confused: ), during the spring, i get a ton of dethatching calls, as well as aeration.

silverwoolley
03-05-2011, 11:44 PM
I would offer aeration any time. I don't think it ever hurts to aerate a lawn. I don't usually up-sell it because I would have to go rent a machine but If im going to profit then I do the job whenever they request it.

mowerbrad
03-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Around here the words "spring" and "aeration" do NOT go together.

Dethatch in the spring, aerate in the fall.

gman75
03-06-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm not going to up-sell it either, it will just be listed as one of my services. If a customer wants it, I'll do it. I agree that aeration will never completely hurt a lawn but it just doesn't make sense to do it in the heat of the summer when the yard has been baken at 90 degrees for a long time. To a certain extent irigation will help but i'd rather do it in the fall or early spring.

1993lx172
03-06-2011, 12:04 AM
I do most of my aeration and dethatching in the fall but I get enough calls for both in the spring to make a decent run of it. Usually when people call in the spring they're about to either fertilize or put down seed. I've found that I get the best results if I dethatch and aerate first then put product down.

JFGauvreau
03-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Usually I start in late march, I end in late April, early May. I do all my spring services, aeration, dethath, fertilizing, etc in the 1st month of spring, then kick it off in 2nd gear with seal coating.

kilgoja
03-06-2011, 01:26 AM
noone around here really ever aerates or dethatches...i've never been asked to do either one...it's more about people just want their grass cut around here...i'm lucky if someone wants me to get leaves out of their yard in the fall lol