PDA

View Full Version : used mower prices and hours?

Field King
03-05-2011, 11:35 PM
I have looked at many used mowers for sale the last 2 years, ztr mowers mainly and have noticed either the hour meter stopped working long ago, never worked or has been tampered with, some have been changed, this seems to leave a huge ? when looking at these mowers. I also notice that newer low hour units are at retail asking or close to it, I would assume that is because of loan payoffs!

mowerbrad
03-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Some people think that their mower is worth what they paid for it new when they have already used it. I don't care if the mower has only 10 hours on it, once you bring that mower off the lot, it depreciates just like a car.

I see it all the time in the marketplace on here. Some sellers really have no idea what their mower is worth and will price it way too high and think they are going to get their asking price. These mowers are USED, I will not, nor should anyone else, pay an asking price that is the same as the retail price.

I don't so much see the hour meter deal. I know many people really do have hour meters that break and then they replace them with a new hour meter. Its not so much for the fact that they want to make it look like the machine has less hours on it, but rather to keep up on the maintenance schedule. If the condition of the mower corresponds with the hours on the meter or the hours the owner tells you, then there probably won't be any surprises. Now, if the mower is completely beat up/used (like it has 1800 hours on it) but the owner insists that it only has 400 hours on it (per the meter)...then you may want to suspect something is up.

Field King
03-06-2011, 12:05 AM
I agree, but I have noticed worn,torn seats, grips etc. on mowers with broken/replaced meters! The biggest tell all for me is the low hour mower with burned out muffler!

BINKY1902
03-06-2011, 12:49 AM
I like it when the seller says the machine reads 400 hrs., but they left the key on overnight several times so actually there is only 200 on it.

Field King
03-06-2011, 12:59 AM
I like it when the seller says the machine reads 400 hrs., but they left the key on overnight several times so actually there is only 200 on it.

how do u know?:dancing:

kilgoja
03-06-2011, 01:11 AM
i never buy used mowers unless i know the previous owner personally...and those loan payoff guys are the ones out there cutting yards for $25 lol