PDA

View Full Version : which lawn equipment engine is made in USA

zmowingmaster
03-06-2011, 01:38 AM
I've been researching today to see which engine is made in USA,whether it is for handheld,small equipment (aerator,or edger) or lawn mower.
I thought that briggs & S was made in wisconsin,but a recent reading on wiki says they will be building it in china and shipping it over here :confused:
I want to know which one is totally made in USA by a US company...
Thanks guys

Richard Martin
03-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Probably the engines with the most American content are the Kohler and Generac. The small Kohler engines are built in China.

ashgrove landscaping
03-06-2011, 10:12 AM
the U.S. can't make small engines. It's just not in our blood. And the asians do it better anyway.

Dogbonz
03-06-2011, 11:22 AM
I think the best made Small engine that was USA made, was the 283 small block Chevy!

Landrus2
03-06-2011, 11:25 AM
America likes to build big engines all small stuff we send over seas

Patriot Services
03-06-2011, 11:50 AM
the U.S. can't make small engines. It's just not in our blood. And the asians do it better anyway.

You must not look at the custom v twins on bikes these days. Billet pieces of art. We just refuse to do it cheaply.
Posted via Mobile Device

SNAPPER MAN
03-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Kohler is made in America.
Posted via Mobile Device

rwaters
03-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Kohler is made in America.
Posted via Mobile Device

some of the Kohler Courage engines are not made in America. The Kohler Command is I think though. I once read where the Kawasaki Engines have the most american labor in them though.

nolanjim
03-06-2011, 12:49 PM
My kawa is made in america.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landrus2
03-06-2011, 03:35 PM
My kawa is made in america.
Posted via Mobile Device

Can you post where the assembly plant is in USA ?

Alekfarmer
03-06-2011, 03:41 PM
My 27hp Generac is made in the U.S. 3 year warranty too! Love dixie chopper

rwaters
03-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Can you post where the assembly plant is in USA ?

Maryville Mo here is a link on google maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=kawasaki+Maryville,+MO+64468-3641&aq=&sll=40.359397,-94.849734&sspn=0.004268,0.006899&ie=UTF8&hq=kawasaki&hnear=Maryville,+Nodaway,+Missouri&ll=40.313273,-94.874715&spn=0.008197,0.013797&t=h&z=16).

kilgoja
03-06-2011, 10:34 PM
briggs and stration is from the usa originally but i dunno where they are built now...doesn't matter...get the best kawasaki...kohler is second best...honda would be best but they don't make but a few riding mower engines and they don't have alot of hp...i never understood why...but their pushmower and trimmer engines are bulletproof

mowingmachine
03-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Quite a few of the Briggs engines are made in the US and some are made in China. The Briggs Vanguard is Japanese.

rwaters
03-07-2011, 12:50 AM
briggs and stration is from the usa originally but i dunno where they are built now...doesn't matter...get the best kawasaki...kohler is second best...honda would be best but they don't make but a few riding mower engines and they don't have alot of hp...i never understood why...but their pushmower and trimmer engines are bulletproof

Honda underrates their engines, I do not understand why but they do. I have a Hustler sport with a 16 hp honda that I would put against a 26 hp briggs any day and expect it to out preform it. But they are not as prevalent on the ztrs as everything else. I think he was looking for smaller engines and american made. Honda has small high quality engines but not american made:(

zmowingmaster
03-07-2011, 02:05 AM
So here is what we have so far:
Briggs makes some engines in the US and some china
Kohler makes some engines in the US ,some in Japan and some in china
Kawasaki is still under reserach,there is a location,but no website.
Honda makes engines..God knows where ( not in the US)
Generac website talk about generators not small engines ( though dixichoppers come with generac engines)
Correct me if I am wrong...please...
Is there a line of lawn equipment that is 100% made in USA?
I might think of the dixichopper as a number one nomini.:confused:
GO:usflag: mowers

nolanjim
03-07-2011, 07:53 AM
If i remember i will check. Do know it says made in america on the engine. Its a kawa 500. I have two of those engines one is made is america the other says assembled in america. The one made in america purrs like kitten both work great.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
03-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Generac website talk about generators not small engines ( though dixichoppers come with generac engines)

The Generac generator division was bought out by Briggs and Straton. If you look at a Generac generator they have Briggs motors in them now.

If I've understood correctly, they kept the motor part of the business.

shepoutside
03-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Think'n Walker lawnmowers are US made!!

pugs
03-07-2011, 09:58 AM
So here is what we have so far:
Briggs makes some engines in the US and some china
Kohler makes some engines in the US ,some in Japan and some in china
Kawasaki is still under reserach,there is a location,but no website.
Honda makes engines..God knows where ( not in the US)
Correct me if I am wrong...please...
Is there a line of lawn equipment that is 100% made in USA?
I might think of the dixichopper as a number one nomini.:confused:
GO:usflag: mowers

All Kawasaki air cooled V-twins are Assembled in the US. I thought they used to say Made in the US on them but all the tags in our showroom are Assembled. Liquid cooled Twins come from Japan...not sure on smaller singles. Not sure how many of the parts are actually made in the USA...although most of the air cooled Cylinder heads I have seen have USA molded into them so they are probably cast here somewhere.

Honda is made all over. Some are Japan, some are Thailand, some are China. The cheap engines(GC160 and similar) are made in the USA

I doubt you will find any engine that is 100% made in the USA of parts that are also made in the USA. Parts come from the lowest bidder wherever that is.

Patriot Services
03-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Assembled and made in the US are terms that have become very blurred in the last 20 years. Very few manufacturers of anything source all parts from within the US. It has come down to what percentage of the assembly is US in origin.
Posted via Mobile Device

pugs
03-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Assembled and made in the US are terms that have become very blurred in the last 20 years. Very few manufacturers of anything source all parts from within the US. It has come down to what percentage of the assembly is US in origin.
Posted via Mobile Device

Very true. I would actually have to check on the cheap hondas to see if they are Made or Assembled in the US.

Self_Paid1
03-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Walker Mowers!