PDA

View Full Version : Question for Walker guys

ksland
09-16-2002, 07:52 PM
Is there any tricks to making a walker mow straight? I know you can adjust the rods at the bottom of the control levers but are there any tricks to it or just trial and error? It seems I pull back ever so slightly on the left control to go straight most of the time. It was only my first couple lawns on it and I am sure with practice I will master it.

Strongmd
09-16-2002, 08:01 PM
In addition to that, check the tire pressure.

MOW ED
09-16-2002, 08:22 PM
Tail wheel lock also helps I have heard. Practice, practice, practice.

robert payer
09-16-2002, 08:43 PM
It's been years since I ran a Walker but same as any mower sounds like you should begin with checking the tire pressure on all 5 tires. Always diagnose any problem with the simple things first. We had ran Walkers and never felt the need for one of those tail locks. I do not even really no what one is. We have always been big on straight lines and the machine and operator did a fine job with that.
Check that the Spec's on the drive tires are the same.

Hope that you are able to correct the problem without having to open your wallet!

visions landscape
09-16-2002, 10:14 PM
Try running the machine with one hand. I find that is easy to keep great lines

BigJim
09-16-2002, 10:57 PM
It was only my first couple lawns on it
:dizzy: Yep its just practise,just takes you a while till your driving it by feel and not looking at all the levers.

Brickman
09-16-2002, 11:50 PM
I had Walkers for several years and put a couple thousand hours on em.

Practice, practice, equal tire pressure, and making sure the mower runs straight on a hard surface. Gravel will not work, it will throw the mower one way and then the other. Try to find as level a surface as you can. Run with about half throttle and the forward speed most of the way forward. If it doesn't track straight you adjust the rods like you mentioned. A small turn of the nut goes a long way.

I also found out that there was no way in the world to drive straight when two handing it.

MOW ED
09-17-2002, 07:18 AM
The tail wheel lock is used quite a bit for hill/slope mowing when you don't want the free spinning tail wheel to point downhill while mowing sideways across a hill.

If you never mow hills then you wouldn't know what the lock is for. My next machine will have one.

LB Landscaping
09-17-2002, 02:27 PM
I agree with the one handed method. If you use two hands you tend to overcompesate on your direction. It takes practice. One thing I do is find a point on the sides of my deck and line it up with the previous stripe. Good Luck!!!

jeffyr
09-17-2002, 04:52 PM
This may seem stupid to some, but walker will send you a free demonstration video on how to operate their mowers correctly and safely. It was helpful when I was thinking about the purchase.

Either that or find someone in your area that has one and watch them go !:p

Ryan Lightning
09-17-2002, 05:23 PM
I run the walker with my left hand only, If I try to switch to my right hand, I can barely drive straight, are turn around.
Id stick with learning with the left hand, and it will take a few weeks to get good, and month are so before you figure out just where the rear end is, so that you dont bump anything. Not that I hit anything.;)

jeffyr
09-18-2002, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Ryan Lightning
figure out just where the rear end is, so that you dont bump anything. Not that I hit anything.;)

Oh yeah !!! Watch out around cars and those central AC units ! 1 false move could be expensive.

Westbrooklawn
09-18-2002, 07:40 AM
I know exactly where you are coming from. The first few days after purchasing my first walker (6 years ago), I was asking myself "what have I done......have I just made a $9000 mistake?", but after about a month I knew that I had made the best purchase ever, it just takes about that long to get proficient at running it. I still use the old 44 toro walk behind occasionally, and I have recently bought a lazer hp, but when it comes to the best job on my high end residential accounts, the walker is by far the most efficient, and produces the most beautiful cut and striping.

Be patient......you will love it after some practice!

Brickman
09-18-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by jeffyr

Oh yeah !!! Watch out around cars and those central AC units ! 1 false move could be expensive.

Ground level windows. :dizzy:

Personally I haven't messed up any thing more than a few trees. But I have had to pay for windows hit by some body working for me.

shearbolt
09-18-2002, 09:28 AM
I love my tail wheel lock. If your into striping it is a must. It also saves the grass from tearing up when you back up. One of my best purchases.

TALLEY-HOE
09-18-2002, 09:40 AM
when you get a chance, pull out the deck & look under the mower & make sure control arm nuts have not worked loose. Probably ok, but it doesn't hurt to look. I had this problem one time--like to drove me nuts. Good luck!!!!!!

walker-talker
09-18-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by shearbolt
I love my tail wheel lock. If your into striping it is a must. It also saves the grass from tearing up when you back up. One of my best purchases.

A few questions:

1) How much? I am thinking around $300
2) Can you install these yourself?
3) Do you control this with a switch on your control panel?
4) It is my understand that when the tail wheel is in the locked position, you can still turn left and right without unlocking the tail? Then, once you turn so much it will unlock it's self? If this is the case, then you never actually have to unlock it manually with the switch?

One more thing, how does the tail wheel lock prevent the turf from being torn when backing up?

Thanks
MATT

RMDoyon
09-18-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by walker-talker

A few questions:

1) How much? I am thinking around $300
2) Can you install these yourself?
3) Do you control this with a switch on your control panel?
4) It is my understand that when the tail wheel is in the locked position, you can still turn left and right without unlocking the tail? Then, once you turn so much it will unlock it's self? If this is the case, then you never actually have to unlock it manually with the switch?

One more thing, how does the tail wheel lock prevent the turf from being torn when backing up?

Thanks
MATT

1) Yes
2) Sure
3) No, normally mounted on FSC
4) Yes and no. You can turn while locked but you are just dragging the wheeel sideways. The "Walker way" to unlock without the switch is to pull quickly into reverse to disengage the lock.

MikeLT1Z28
09-19-2002, 01:30 AM
i steer mine left handed now. i sort of wish walker had two ways to operate the machines though. like the fsc and an over ride to lock in the steering levels for those short runs across small yards.

shearbolt
09-19-2002, 09:12 AM
Mike, the tail wheel lock is Walker's way of "locking the steering levers". When it's engaged you go straight. You can take your hand off the levers and go. Tearing of the turf happens when the rear wheel turns 180 degrees as you back up. If you are in a tight place and have to nose in the same place every week you will destroy the turf because the rear wheel pancakes the turf in the same spot. It's especially helpful when it's wet. Best accessory Walker has.

MikeLT1Z28
09-20-2002, 01:31 AM
i'm kinda partial to the power dump feature myself.

what i meant by locking in the control levers is a way to use the fsc or to override it and have the steering levers work like most other ztr's do. particularly when loading it on a trailer, mine anyway.

Brickman
09-20-2002, 09:16 AM
Mike are you backing on the trailer, or driving on?

If you are backing on, to prevent violent forward and reverse motion of entire operation (looks very funny to those watching) pull the FSC to the neutral position when lined up to back on. With a few tries this will become natural.

You drive up to the trailer, flip around to line up, pull the FSC back and the steering levers back and roll smoothly onto the trailer.

MikeLT1Z28
09-20-2002, 10:18 AM
i back on the trailer. i don't have a ramp yet (tilt) so that's the only way i can get on it with a wood floor.