PDA

View Full Version : Update on my Magna-Matic MAG-9000

Lagniappe
03-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Have had my Magna-Matic for a couple of weeks now, and just wanted to give a brief update on my purchase.

Unpacked everything, and the first thing I noticed was how well built this machine was. After I was done admiring it on the kitchen table, I took it out to the shop to put it to the test. After a phone call, mind you, at 6-7 pm, and spoke with a live person at Magna Matic, I resolved a couple of shipping issues, by tweeking the machine with members of the Bauer Family on speaker walking me through the whole process.

Now it was time I had been waiting for. I took three of my nastiest blades I had in the junk pile, and by the third blade, I wouldn't say I was an expert, but for the most part had it figured out. Tinkered out in the shop for alittle while longer, and saved myself $150 by ressurecting 3 sets of 3 blades, that will be back in service this year. The Magna-Matic had breathed new life into blades that were going to be thrown out.

The next day, I was telling my next door neighbor about the machine, (he has a lawn service as well, and he hands me a set over the fence to be sharpened. Within minutes, I walk his set around, ring his doorbell, and hand him his blades back, in a box (I ordered them from Magna-Matic). Watching him opening the box and look at his blades, reminded me of my girls (9 and 5 years old) like it was Christmas morning. He started digging for his wallet, and much to my grumbling, he made me take $15.00. Put that on an hourly rate, and it runs at $300 per hour. Kinda shoots holes in the "dollar a minute" theory that I hear everyone talking about.

I had about 15 hours on a brand new set of blades, and here in Louisiana we are already cutting, and one afternoon I had my Toro up, scraping the clover and winter weeds from under the deck, I decided to run these new blades on the Magna Matic. The sharpening wheel only touched the first 1/16th of an inch of the blade, and they were sharp ready to go back on the the machine. I would have hated to see how I would have molested them with my old bench grinder, or an angle grinder. There is no telling how long that these blades with last, by sharpening them on my Magna Matic.

With just the few contacts I have made, I live in a small town, other LCO's will have paid for my machine in alittle over a month.

Something to think about. Thanks Magna-Matic. And for anyone on the fence, jump, you'll be glad you did.

Bob_n_weave
03-06-2011, 11:52 AM
I love mine as well. Don't forget to buy the blade balancer if you want your blades truely balanced, your spindles will thank you.

MOturkey
03-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Wouldn't trade mine for "all the tea in China", as the old saying goes. I'd talk to my neighbor, and offer to sharpen all his blades for $2 or so apiece. Would make you some extra pocket money, and save him money if he's having them sharpened at a shop.

Lagniappe
03-06-2011, 02:09 PM
I didn't't want to charge my neighbor anything, being friends and neighbors. But he broke if off to me that he his saving himself money, (what he was paying), and his time that having to travel to go get them done. Five dollars a blade, $15.00 total, was a fair price for him. I have other locked in from $3.50 per blade on up to $5.00.

Am kinda excited how this little side business could possibly take off, re copping my expenses on my setup rather quickly, a couple hundred a week in my small town. Cant imagine what you big dogs could do in the larger cities.

Exact Rototilling
03-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Is there any way you can have someone take a video tour of this process: Dull blade here, put it there show finished product include the time element. Basically a video tour. Maybe there is already something like this on YouTube already?

I have pondered adding a blade sharpening service in my area as long as there isn't someone else who has the the same machine in the area. Logistical issue for me is time and if it is worth the investment or should I say return on investment. I run and operate another business from home 15-20 per week which nets me more after expense than many make at a regular full time job plus I put in well over 40 hours per week with lawncare during the season. So it really has to be a serious cash flow generator to justify pulling time away from either business or justify more sleep deprivation to make more $. Just like my claim to fame in the area is more plugs per square foot in single pass for lawn aeration most don't care or understand. A BIG part of the marketing process, at least for me, is educating the potential client why my service is better. Same would apply to blade sharpening. Zero point IMO to run a Nickel paper ad and say blade sharpening when 10 other places offer and seemingly identical service. Other than people like me most don't care about technical details.

I currently use a vise and a dewalt cordless angle grinder and frankly I have become very good at it but I know the this machine is the ultimate. I know the drill and I don't want to debate this - flat out NOT going to buy this machine just to sharpen MY blades. I would only buy one to sharpen blades commercially to the public.

Lagniappe
03-07-2011, 11:49 AM
On the Magna Matic website, they have a video posted. And to be honest with you, it is that easy, and that quick. Longer if you have a beat up blade, or are trying to square a blade up.

As far as return on your money, it's hard to say. I have only been in lawn service for three years, and if I would have had one starting off, it would have paid for itself, just new blades that I have purchased. Then throwing in sharpening for a handful of LCO's, (like I said, we live in a small town), I will have fully paid for my machine and set up in just over a month.

I agree, that running an ad will not even compete. I want to look my customers in the eyes, show them a finished product. Quality sells itself. Every single LCO that I have approched, have jumped on board with me sharpening their blades.

Bob_n_weave
03-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Not sure why any LCO would pay someone else to sharpen blades due to cost and hassle.

Exact Rototilling
03-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Yeah no kidding...that's what my hang up is. There would have to be some convenient drop off point and the blades would have to be ready quickly like next day or on Monday with a Friday drop off. I live on a 1/4 mile private drive and I don't think the neighbors would like anymore traffic raising dust on the road.

Few years back I paid $6-7 per blade and with a 3 bladed mower that adds up fast not to mention I put fresh sharp blades on every 15 lawns or so. So it's just easier to angle grind them and a take a bit more off than the Magna but my method is every bit as good as the method used at the cutting edge shop in town.
Posted via Mobile Device

Magna-Matic
03-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Hello All,

Just thought I would post, and say thank you for the reviews and information that current users are posting about our equipment.

Those that are skeptical, please take a moment to visit our site and review some of the information, or feel free to post a question in our forum or here.

Remember - a sharp blade is having the correct angle which provides the pointed TIP of the blade - which is the primary cutting tooth of the blade. Regardless how razor sharp the blade is - if you TIP is pointed the blade will tear the grass.

Here is some info on blade tip geometry from our site.
http://www.magna-matic.com/pdf/2008_geometry.pdf

Thank you,