PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying business out-What's it worth?

TJS Lawn Care
03-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Im going to look at purchasing an established lawn care setup from a local guy. I have not met with him yet, but this is what he has:

2003 Ford HD F150 4x4 truck

12' Pace enclosed trailer (ramp door).

Scag Advantage 36" walk behind mower with 19hp Kawasaki engine

Scag Tiger Cub zero turn with 52" Advantage deck, roller striping kit and new 24 hp Honda engine. (Engine installed last summer by local Scag dealer).

They mentioned some accounts may come with the business, not sure on all the details. They are asking $12,500 for everything. Looks like a decent deal, what do you all think? Wanting to get a ballpark idea before I head over and talk with them. I was thinking in the neighborhood of:

2003 Ford HD F150 4x4 truck ($5000-$6000 depending on condition, etc)

12' Pace enclosed trailer (ramp door). $1700-$1900

Scag Advantage 36" walk behind mower with 19hp Kawasaki engine $1500

Scag Tiger Cub zero turn with 52" Advantage deck, roller striping kit and new 24 hp Honda engine. (Engine installed last summer by local Scag dealer). $2800-$3000

Without really looking at anything, Im guesstimating around $10000-$11000???

If I can, I'll get some pics and post.

Thanks-Jason

oldclawn
03-06-2011, 12:55 PM
You're the one that has to live with the decsion--let it be your own from your own observations and touch/feel session. The Scags are older models. the Truck is old--is this the way you want to go?

TJS Lawn Care
03-06-2011, 01:02 PM
You're the one that has to live with the decsion--let it be your own from your own observations and touch/feel session. The Scags are older models. the Truck is old--is this the way you want to go?

Im just looking for an idea on value, dollar wise. I know things could be totally different once I look at the equipment. I'm no stranger to vehicles and evaluating their worth, but the mowers are kinda new to me.

Right now Im using a 7 year old JD L108 that I beat up pretty good last year, a 10 year old JD JX75 and a JX65 and am using my daily driver '05 Chevy crew cab truck with a 12' flatbed utility trailer.

This would not be my daily work, but something for a little extra cash for my son and I both.

tradeyouraccounts
03-06-2011, 02:47 PM
This may help you for the customer accounts side of it
http://www.tradeyouraccounts.com/dept.aspx?id=8

kilgoja
03-06-2011, 07:51 PM
i just don't get it...i hear about all these people on here selling their business or whatever...why don't they keep their trucks, trailers, and mowers for themselves?...they still have to cut their own yard and maintain it...and they can use the truck and trailer for other things too...i dunno i just know if i went out of business i would keep all of my stuff lol..it's not like it's a money issue because they still have all their accounts and i'm sure they have another job set up or they wouldn't be selling the business...i dunno i just don't get it really lol

AzLawnMan
03-06-2011, 08:05 PM
For $12,500 I could buy a decent truck from auction for about $4k, a nice trailer for about $1k, 2 honda mowers new for $1,200 and new equipment for another $1,500 and thats $7,700 so round it off to about $8k and that leaves around $4k. I can buy alot of advertising with $4k. Just saying.