PDA

View Full Version : best mower/ deck for discharge

cabo91
03-06-2011, 04:19 PM
hi Im looking form a new mower this year. I have a scag tiger cub with an advantage deck. with a 25 koehler. It works well but I have some properties that I have to double cut because of grass left behind. Does anyone know of a better machine to use?

Alekfarmer
03-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Dixie chopper 2744. 27 hp Generac and 3 16" blades. I can honestly cut a ft tall grass at about 5 mph and not leave anything behind it'll just shoot out the side 10 ft :) Generac engines hp rating are what the actually put out unlike most other companies. If your Kohler says 25 hp, its prob putting out 21-22 hp.

SouthSide Cutter
03-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Scag with a Velocity deck then the JD 7Iron.

nobagger
03-06-2011, 05:46 PM
hi Im looking form a new mower this year. I have a scag tiger cub with an advantage deck. with a 25 koehler. It works well but I have some properties that I have to double cut because of grass left behind. Does anyone know of a better machine to use?

Yeah, a bagging unit for the Scag. There probably all very similar when cutting grass thats over 4-5 inches tall. Unless you find one that discharges to ten feet away a bagger is the only thing I can think of.

Jims Lawncare
03-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Scag with a Velocity deck then the JD 7Iron.

yep, what he said

castlerockmo
03-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Husqvrana pz that thing throw grass like crazy 12-15 feet plus. I have cut 4 foot grass and never left a stragler, great cut great ride, great price and great warranty.
Just an option.
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Dixie chopper 2744. 27 hp Generac and 3 16" blades. I can honestly cut a ft tall grass at about 5 mph and not leave anything behind it'll just shoot out the side 10 ft :) Generac engines hp rating are what the actually put out unlike most other companies. If your Kohler says 25 hp, its prob putting out 21-22 hp. Im with this guy my Choppers blows 2-3 decks wide I never need to bag and if there is clippings when get done go back different angle and mulch it up But not with him on the motor Kohler has more power then the Generac I have both the Generac are easy to dog down

kilgoja
03-06-2011, 09:54 PM
the best decks out there are the scag velocity, JD 7iron, and maybe the new hustler v4 deck is good but i dunno yet for sure

kilgoja
03-06-2011, 10:10 PM
vx4 deck i meant lol

Alekfarmer
03-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Dixie choppers have the highest legal blade tip speed, mix that with x-blades, 6 hi-lift blades = launching grass like the space shuttle.

kilgoja
03-06-2011, 10:27 PM
or just use 3 gator blades on a 7iron or velocity deck lol

AllAmericanlawn
03-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Husqvrana pz that thing throw grass like crazy 12-15 feet plus. I have cut 4 foot grass and never left a stragler, great cut great ride, great price and great warranty.
Just an option.
Posted via Mobile Device

Or twin brother Yazoo Kees Max3 wich is the same mower. Thats what i liked about it was the discharge hole/opening is like 3 feet wide and blows a windrow distance of like 12 feet. Clippings get crazy air out of the deck.

AllAmericanlawn
03-07-2011, 12:11 AM
Oh yeah i got mine for a bit over $8k. About $4k less than a comparable John Deere, Scag, etc models with 29 Kaw engine.

castlerockmo
03-07-2011, 12:33 AM
Or twin brother Yazoo Kees Max3 wich is the same mower. Thats what i liked about it was the discharge hole/opening is like 3 feet wide and blows a windrow distance of like 12 feet. Clippings get crazy air out of the deck.

Actually their triplets (dixon grizzly/dx200) I have the dixon version that thing leaves the best cut EVER!
Posted via Mobile Device

jiggz
03-07-2011, 02:01 AM
you ever try running 2 gators and a high lift on the spindle closest to the shoot?

Ive always loved the bobcats I cant really speak on these but they came out with a new deck this year with a pretty wide opening on em.. buy one and let me know how they perform lol

retrodog
03-07-2011, 10:25 AM
I know a lot of people can't use a 72", but the 72 in every brand I have ever mowed with is amazing. The SCAG and bad boy with a 72, I have never seen any grass build up, and they perform better than any of the other sizes. I always push 72's just from what I have seen....
Posted via Mobile Device

Self_Paid1
03-07-2011, 10:43 AM
or just use 3 gator blades on a 7iron or velocity deck lol

Which blades do you use on you & iron High Lift, Gator, or Medium? can you give me the pros and con's

kilgoja
03-07-2011, 01:17 PM
i use gator blades....i've used high lift as well....both work great...i wouldn't use medium they don't do as well....gator blades are better on thicker stuff

GrassesGuy
03-07-2011, 04:38 PM
JD decks blow donkey doo. I just talked with a dealer in Ames about this. He runs multtiple crews and sells JD, etc. Well they use Everrides and they have never failed them and that there repair and maintenance costs dropped two fold after dropping the Deere's and switchinfg to all Everride. I own Everride and can assure you that they are the best if not close to the best in regards to deck quality. I know Scags has superior stuff but JD no way man, I hear nothing but problems.

LawnCareNoobie
03-07-2011, 06:35 PM
JD decks blow donkey doo. I just talked with a dealer in Ames about this. He runs multtiple crews and sells JD, etc. Well they use Everrides and they have never failed them and that there repair and maintenance costs dropped two fold after dropping the Deere's and switchinfg to all Everride. I own Everride and can assure you that they are the best if not close to the best in regards to deck quality. I know Scags has superior stuff but JD no way man, I hear nothing but problems.

Lol, who are you fooling? :laugh:

kilgoja
03-08-2011, 12:30 AM
lol for real....what planet do you cut grass on?

castlerockmo
03-08-2011, 12:50 AM
lol for real....what planet do you cut grass on?

In his defense I have never really liked the cut of a 7 iron. I can't remember how it discharged but I do remember the discharge opening aint that big. IMHO that's all it is though my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

kilgoja
03-08-2011, 01:19 AM
the opening is huge on the new ones..the 7iron decks have the best cut i've ever seen..
the velocity scag deck is good too

Lawnut101
03-08-2011, 01:59 AM
The Exmark Ultracut is pretty sweet in tall grass. Also Scag Velocity is a good deck. I haven't used one, but I also heard John Deere's decks are nice.

LawnCareNoobie
03-08-2011, 11:59 PM
In his defense I have never really liked the cut of a 7 iron. I can't remember how it discharged but I do remember the discharge opening aint that big. IMHO that's all it is though my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

The discharge opening is big...

castlerockmo
03-09-2011, 12:17 AM

Yep its big, looks just like the husqvarna pz deck. They sure can move some grass that way!
Posted via Mobile Device

castlerockmo
03-09-2011, 12:17 AM

Yep its big, looks just like the husqvarna pz deck. They sure can move some grass that way! I have actually heard people complain that the pz throws it too far!! Hahaha
Posted via Mobile Device

ramcat
03-09-2011, 12:51 AM
I have heard good things about the everride, but if im not mistaken the john deere 7-iron has been out longer than the velocity or the pz deck and it seems to me that some general concepts have been used from the 7-iron in the fabrication of these other cutting decks....

ramcat
03-09-2011, 12:53 AM
look at an underside picture of the pz deck and compare it to the 7-iron.....thats why they cut good imo

castlerockmo
03-09-2011, 01:00 AM
What year did Jd open the discharge that wide because the older ones like on the 700 weren't that wide.
Posted via Mobile Device

GrassesGuy
03-09-2011, 10:44 AM
What year did Jd open the discharge that wide because the older ones like on the 700 weren't that wide.
Posted via Mobile Device

I rest my case. :weightlifter:

LawnCareNoobie
03-10-2011, 01:22 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

The discharge opening has always been wide on the 7 Iron deck.

Everyone else just copied it.

SouthernLawnCare4860
03-13-2011, 06:10 PM
I own and operate a everride WARRIOR. THat thing is a beast! It cuts thick grass three times better than my Ferris Fleet. I use it just for that reason. I love my Ferris mowers for making a yard look smooth and manicured but that everride means buisness.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-13-2011, 07:31 PM
The discharge opening has always been wide on the 7 Iron deck.

Everyone else just copied it.does JD even make that mower yesterday I seen a Hustler and a JD side by side looks like same mower just different color They may not be but with my eyes they look the same

My local dealer of John Deer when they mow there lawn last summer they would mow with a used Dixie Chopper over the used JD, Exmark,Everride they had When I ask the guy he said its faster and softer ride That came right from a dealer ship

johndeeretech09
03-13-2011, 07:32 PM

are you kidding me!? the john deere 7iron is the best deck in the industry. all those fabricated decks are junk. and the new 7iron pro is better then the old 7ironII. way better deck and discharge quality. nothing can touch it when it comes to that.

LawnCareNoobie
03-13-2011, 10:03 PM
does JD even make that mower yesterday I seen a Hustler and a JD side by side looks like same mower just different color They may not be but with my eyes they look the same

My local dealer of John Deer when they mow there lawn last summer they would mow with a used Dixie Chopper over the used JD, Exmark,Everride they had When I ask the guy he said its faster and softer ride That came right from a dealer ship

Yes, JD makes their own mowers. You might need to get your eyes checked...