PDA

View Full Version : Buying first bed edger please help

wiseguyslawn
03-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Will be using only to shape beds before mulch. I have seen the brown mfg. one that appears to be the most expensive. A yellow little wonder hydro model, a turfco model, and one that appears to be a weed whip with a different attachment of course. Any advice or comments would be great. THanks

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-06-2011, 08:15 PM
I have a Turf Teq its the best its faster then any i tried

beachlandscapes
04-05-2011, 09:03 PM
I use a Turfco bed edger. By far the greatest and easiest machine i've ever used to put a deep cut edge on beds. You have to order directly from turfco but they are very friendly and helpful. I think i paid around $1300 and it paid for itself in about 1 month.

Fawcett
04-06-2011, 01:22 AM
Its a PITA but I love the results I get from my squared spade.

White Gardens
04-06-2011, 06:47 AM
I used a Brown last year to try and re-cut a few edges at a property last year and hated it. The Brown is a good machine, but the wheels kept dropping into the existing trench.

Would love to try the turf teq, that seems like a great machine.

What I'm currently getting the most use out of now is my yard-boss tiller head on my FS-90. It's bigger and more aggressive than an echo re-definer, (but doesn't throw crap at high speeds) but yet lighter and easier to deal with than a dedicated walk-behind edger.

Ultimately I feel I get the best of both worlds, and I spent pennies in comparison.

brandon@snellers
04-06-2011, 07:38 AM
we have an echo bed edger unit, works great i think. looks and feels like a spin trimmer almost. good luck.

Get Some...
04-06-2011, 08:12 AM
I used a Brown last year to try and re-cut a few edges at a property last year and hated it. The Brown is a good machine, but the wheels kept dropping into the existing trench.

Would love to try the turf teq, that seems like a great machine.

What I'm currently getting the most use out of now is my yard-boss tiller head on my FS-90. It's bigger and more aggressive than an echo re-definer, (but doesn't throw crap at high speeds) but yet lighter and easier to deal with than a dedicated walk-behind edger.

Ultimately I feel I get the best of both worlds, and I spent pennies in comparison.

How many tine's do you take off to re-edge?
Thank's.

White Gardens
04-06-2011, 10:43 AM
How many tine's do you take off to re-edge?
Thank's.

Usually the two on the inside tines. I keep the washer on to help protect the sealed bearing in the housing.

I want to come up with a sleeve or something of that nature to help keep that washer in place, but I just replace the bearings on the drive/worm gear this year, and the shaft bearing still felt great so I left them alone.

When I wear out this set of tines (5 years old, cultivator tines), I want to take the hubs and make a very small diameter tines to use for the inside of the bed, and keep the bigger two on to cut the edge.

Another modification thought too is to come up with a small wheel with a bearing to use as a roller on the side with no tines.

bmoorefield
04-06-2011, 11:07 AM
I rented the brown bed edger, not sure which model but I wasnt thrilled about design of controls. I ended up buying a bluebird bed edger (lightly used for $1500) because all of the controls are on the handles and it is chain driven. Every so often I run into rocky soil and have had to replace the blade (cost around $165). In my cases a tooth has been chipped off of the blade and I continued to use it until further damage has occured. This will be a great investment for your company...saves a lot of time.

I am interested to here what people have to say abou the Little Wonder and the Turf-Teg, they both look like great machines. Pros and cons would be nice to hear.

Get Some...
04-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Usually the two on the inside tines. I keep the washer on to help protect the sealed bearing in the housing.

I want to come up with a sleeve or something of that nature to help keep that washer in place, but I just replace the bearings on the drive/worm gear this year, and the shaft bearing still felt great so I left them alone.

When I wear out this set of tines (5 years old, cultivator tines), I want to take the hubs and make a very small diameter tines to use for the inside of the bed, and keep the bigger two on to cut the edge.

Another modification thought too is to come up with a small wheel with a bearing to use as a roller on the side with no tines.

Stihl sell's the wheel as an attachment for the yard boss tiller.
FC-MM Bed Edger..come's with a wheel and one straight tine cultivator......it will fit the BF=KM cultivator, in fact all the yard boss accessorie's will..

Get Some...
04-06-2011, 10:26 PM
One of the edge's I did today.

These edge's have never been properly done, and the sod is thin in some spot's.
I will add top soil and seed the lawn edge to give it a full look....

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss325/martingoodwin56/53-1-2.jpg

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss325/martingoodwin56/53-2.jpg

Tool's used.
Along with a straight blade edge cutter, which wil no longer be necessary when the wheel and straight tine cultivator ordered come's in.

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss325/martingoodwin56/53-3.jpg

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss325/martingoodwin56/53-4.jpg

About one foot a minute, start to finish.......

White Gardens
04-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Was that the first time you used the tiller for cutting bed edges? Did it work out good for you? Thumbs Up Thanks for pointing out that wheel for the attachment too! Didn't realize they offered one.

All in all I do think there is a place for bed edgers, but as long as I have my tiller head, that would be a rare occurrence.

Get Some...
04-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Was that the first time you used the tiller for cutting bed edges? Did it work out good for you? Thumbs Up Thanks for pointing out that wheel for the attachment too! Didn't realize they offered one.

All in all I do think there is a place for bed edgers, but as long as I have my tiller head, that would be a rare occurrence.

First day I used it was yesterday.....
Just picked up a 110 Kombi head and tiller, it worked well.
Some of it was hard wet clay, a few passes did it. Then used the tiller to move the spoil's.

The reason I went with the tiller was your pic's of edging you had done, and your comment's on another thread.

I appreciate your advice on this and could not be happier as a result of following it.:)

White Gardens
04-07-2011, 08:38 AM
First day I used it was yesterday.....
Just picked up a 110 Kombi head and tiller, it worked well.
Some of it was hard wet clay, a few passes did it. Then used the tiller to move the spoil's.

The reason I went with the tiller was your pic's of edging you had done, and your comment's on another thread.

I appreciate your advice on this and could not be happier as a result of following it.:)

Sweet! Glad I could help. I get a lot of comments saying that the tiller head doesn't work or work well and I just laugh because those people don't understand the ease and time savings that it actually gives you over a bed edger.

That and it's versatile for more than just bed edges. The tiller as a whole works great for grading out beds, and also dislodging and piling rocks when I remove old rock beds on renovation projects.

Turf Teq
04-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks for all the kind words in this thread. To those of you that had questions, visit http://www.turfteq.com to view some demo videos and see the specs.

Our machines are self-propelled and at top speed you can edge about 110ft per minute. They have a 13hp Honda engine and a fully hydro-static transmission. We are not cheap (possibly the highest price out there), but if you ask any company that uses our machines it is completely worth it. They are extremely easy to use since you can walk forward and not have to pull anything backwards like some of our competitors.

Tq23
04-19-2011, 05:43 PM
The type of machine you get should depend on what you are looking to do. If you are looking for a machine to create a new bed or edge, the brown mfg. unit is very good. The downside is this machine does not "re-edge" an existing bed very good. If you are looking for a machine to "re-edge" existing beds, the echo bed edger works very well. The only problem with any bed edging machines is that the ground needs to be pretty dry for them to work the best.