PDA

View Full Version : what's the deal

SOONERS222
03-06-2011, 10:07 PM
My mower leaves an uncut strip of grass down the middle between my blades. Blades are sharp and the deck is clean... this happened the last three months of mowing last yr. Thanks for the help
Posted via Mobile Device

kilgoja
03-06-2011, 10:12 PM
something is wrong...are the blades bent? are they on backwards?

grassman177
03-06-2011, 10:17 PM
as many have asked, it is most likely deck pitch issues or the wrong blades(if they are not the factory ones).; my vote goes for pitch.

Southern Pride
03-06-2011, 10:26 PM
This exact same thread already exists with answers but I can't remember the title, try doing a search.

kilgoja
03-06-2011, 10:31 PM
yeah check the pitch too...suposed to be lower in the front...check the owner's manual...most say 1/4 inch lower

ALC-GregH
03-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Check the deck belt. Might be slipping.

Grass Shark
03-07-2011, 12:18 AM
My mower leaves an uncut strip of grass down the middle between my blades. Blades are sharp and the deck is clean... this happened the last three months of mowing last yr. Thanks for the help
Posted via Mobile Device

What kind of mower is it?

jiggz
03-07-2011, 02:13 AM
you have a blade on upside down.. :hammerhead:

its ok, happens to the best of us lol

Magna-Matic
03-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Hello All,

Another cause of uncut grass between the blades of a multi-blade deck is incorrect sharpening.

Lawn mower blades are measured from TIP to TIP (diagonally). The points actually stick out, and the two TIPS are the teeth of the blade. The natural wear pattern of a mower blade is for the TIPS to become rounded.

When the TIP of the blade is rounded - the blade is SHORTER therefore there is a larger space between each blade in the deck. This is why sharpening your blades at the proper angle to create a POINTED TIP or TOOTH of the blade is critical. When the TIP becomes rounded - your blade is tearing the grass - and no longer cutting it.

So remember it is not how razor sharp the blade is, but how pointed the TIP of the blade is.

Please see this link - for some more infomation and pictures of lawn mower blade geometry.

http://www.magna-matic.com/pdf/2008_geometry.pdf

Thank you,