PDA

View Full Version : 640 MPH Back-Pack Blower

Darryl G
09-16-2002, 10:35 PM
I was just reading the Sept. issue of Turf magazine and saw an add for the Fradan 64cc back-pack blower. It's advertised at 1200 CFM (unbelievable) and 640 MPH (way unbelievable). I know that 64cc is a big motor, but 640 MPH can't be right, can it?

Darryl G
09-16-2002, 10:43 PM
Here's a link w/ info about these. The site actually has it as 69 cc.
http://www.precoparts.com/category.cfm?Category=182

parkmaster
09-16-2002, 11:25 PM
hey i bought a fradan bb50 about 4 years ago a good blower still has lots of power. looking into getting another back pack blower.
what brand to get i don't know? :dizzy:

at work it out powered an echo bpb.

Darryl G
09-16-2002, 11:55 PM
Parkmaster - The model # for the one I posted about is the BB70. I guess it's new because I can't find much info on it on the web and no mention of it here on this site. With 1200 CFM of air doing 640 MPH you should be able to fly between lawns with it James Bond style.

BigJim
09-17-2002, 12:12 AM
640 MPH Back-Pack Blower

Category 1 - Winds of 74 to 95 mph. Damage: minimal
Category 2 - Winds 96 to 110 mph. Damage: moderate
Category 3 - Winds 111 to 130 mph. Damage: major
Category 4 - Winds 131 to 155 mph. Damage: severe
Category 5 - Winds above 155 mph. Damage: catastrophic

Be careful with it!!!!!:laugh:

TLS
09-17-2002, 12:15 AM
WOW,

How many typo's can they have?

One minute it has 69cc's the next its 64cc's??

Looks a LOT like an ECHO blower housing and engine. With a front gas tank like the older Echo's. Has different looking air filter, and red paint.

One thing's for SURE......The only way its going to blow 640 MPH is if its strapped to the wings of a 747!!!

Another thing to consider.....How many FRADEN dealers are out there? I've never heard of them before I saw ads in the rag mags. I'll stick to the more "common" equipent that parts are more readily available.

Vibe Ray
09-17-2002, 02:13 AM
One thing a lot of "not so popular-commercial-reputable" brand name blower manufacturers claim is their MPH &CFM #'s as they are @ the blower housing instead of @ the pipe end such as ECHO, Shindaiwa, Redmax, Stihl, etc. do....which I find to be much more useful information......I mean who cares what the MPH & CFM's are @ the the housing? They could be extraordinarily high, but if they drop drastically by the time they reach the pipe end then what good does that do you. I (and most other people) want the MPH &CFM #'s that we can actually use......I mean I completely understand why they do that......it makes the blower sound so much more powerful.

How do I know that this is the case with the blower that you have pointed out? Well if the engine is only 69cc's, then that's only about 10cc's larger than most of the largest commercial well designed blowers )which only kick out an average of 200MPH & maybe around 600CFM). I seriously doubt that they have designed a blower that could increase MPH & CFM's by THAT much w/ ONLY an engine size icrease of about 10cc's!

Not to mention, those #'s you have mentioned ARE near thsoe numbers that all 200MPH/600cfm blowers claim to be @ their housing.

I'm sure it's a decent blower. Heck, it looks a lot like some other blower's made by the manufacturers I had previously stated. Although I doubt those #'s are @ the pipe end.

awm
09-17-2002, 04:27 PM
i dont believe it ,nor do i want it.
cant think of anything it would be safe to use on. but it aint true anyway. ill believe somethin like that when i see it. on somebody elses back.:) hes gonna need some tie downs.

KenH
09-17-2002, 07:35 PM
You would have to hire another employee. You can use the blower, and you would need someone to wrap around your legs!!:eek:

jdseven
09-17-2002, 09:11 PM
I have a model bb51 the manual says 2.5 cu in disp. air speed max 230 mph. air volume max 590 cfm. This must be an error. I use it mostly for fall and spring clean-ups.

SLS
09-17-2002, 09:15 PM
I think it will be a huge success among the parasailing and sailboating crowd.

Floridalandcare
09-18-2002, 12:39 AM
640 mph is about 100 MPH less than the speed of sound . For one I cannot foresee any B/P blower ever coming anywhere close to this speed .The noise alone would deffen the user if he could even hang on to it,the suction alone would probaly rip the shirt and skin off the user back.Knowing how loud our shindawas are that blow about 200mph(and i really dont even believe that)to have a machine that blows 640mph would be louder than a helicopter at a hover and I dont think nor do I beleive anyone else on here does, that there is a blower that blows even half that hard .the only blower that blows that hard is a jets turbine

MikeLT1Z28
09-18-2002, 12:47 AM
forget blowing clippings or leaves. strap that joker on your ZTR!

Darryl G
09-18-2002, 12:55 AM
Florida - You mean if I fire up the blower and drive at 100 MPH I could break the sound barrier? Cool! That would be fun explaining to Mr. Police Officer.

I'm glad you guys share my skepticism on this machine.

Fvstringpicker
09-18-2002, 02:46 PM
640 MPH wind speed? I want to be there, (with hearing protectors) when they open that bad boy up and fan blade tips break the sound barrier. Hey, the air can't move faster or as fast a the blades pushing it.

wxmn6
09-18-2002, 06:00 PM
Well, if there is a leaf blower that can blow 640 MPH for real, I would not buy it. Why? Because the air speed is so fast that the leaves would quickly slip out of "blowing zone" and fly in the air. A slight breeze will bring the leaves away from you to a different spot, that you might have already cleaned up. So this would be inefficent machine.

CFM is a short word for cubic feet per minute. This is the amount of air that it blows. The more CFM, the more leaves it can blow. About the MPH factor, in theory, the more MPH the blower can push the air, the farther the leaves will go. But that is not always necessary true. It would not be efficent if the leaf blower has the higher MPH ratio than the CFM ratio. The blower can blow the leaves farther, but you need more air (CFM) to blow it without having leaves fly out of control.

If I were to go out and buy a leaf blower, the first thing I would check on is the CFM, then the MPH that it can display. In this area, I have alot of big maple trees that drops tons of leaves. So I would be more concerned about blowing more leaves, than the distance I blow the leaves to. Yes, in some case, I would like my leaf blower to blow the leaves farther but that would be hard to make a big pile of leaves in a small radius circle.

Hope that you get the idea. It is only my opinion.

John Gamba
09-19-2002, 07:59 AM
I Have a smaller freaden Bpb It suck's. I Now have a Echo 650. Now thats a Blower. If You can try One with the curved end.

FrankenScagMachines
09-19-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by wxmn6
Well, if there is a leaf blower that can blow 640 MPH for real, I would not buy it. Why? Because the air speed is so fast that the leaves would quickly slip out of "blowing zone" and fly in the air. A slight breeze will bring the leaves away from you to a different spot, that you might have already cleaned up. So this would be inefficent machine.

CFM is a short word for cubic feet per minute. This is the amount of air that it blows. The more CFM, the more leaves it can blow. About the MPH factor, in theory, the more MPH the blower can push the air, the farther the leaves will go. But that is not always necessary true. It would not be efficent if the leaf blower has the higher MPH ratio than the CFM ratio. The blower can blow the leaves farther, but you need more air (CFM) to blow it without having leaves fly out of control.

If I were to go out and buy a leaf blower, the first thing I would check on is the CFM, then the MPH that it can display. In this area, I have alot of big maple trees that drops tons of leaves. So I would be more concerned about blowing more leaves, than the distance I blow the leaves to. Yes, in some case, I would like my leaf blower to blow the leaves farther but that would be hard to make a big pile of leaves in a small radius circle.

Hope that you get the idea. It is only my opinion.

Exactly my thoughts. I didn't see the ad but I'll look for it. I don't have alot of experience with blowers but as mentioned above, it probably would be only good for sweeping lots or blowing wet leaves. If you had a slight breeze in the direction you were working with it then it might work.. I share similar doubts about these claims and while it may be faster than the others even though the engine is not much larger, the fan could be designed differently. So it could be using the engine more effeciently. Still I doubt it's really "as good as they say". There are way too many ways to mark up the value of things or to make them look better than they are :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
I dont' think it's necesarily a bad peice of equipment but either there's false advertising or it's just too much to handle and use effeciently. :blob4:
Eric

MJStrain
09-19-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by darryl gesner
I was just reading the Sept. issue of Turf magazine and saw an add for the Fradan 64cc back-pack blower. It's advertised at 1200 CFM (unbelievable) and 640 MPH (way unbelievable). I know that 64cc is a big motor, but 640 MPH can't be right, can it?

I want one I want one!:blob3: :blob4: :blob1: :blob2:

adamc6
09-19-2002, 03:15 PM
how much high speed wind do you want or even need. if its just for blowing off sidewalks and driveways i think my stihl does just fine. plus, putting a heavy backback blower on in 95 degree weather is the last thing i want to do. just my opinion.....

lawnkid
09-19-2002, 07:23 PM
Taht blower looks like the PB-650 with out the engine thouhg, look at the back rest, it looks exactly like the PB-650, and the engine dos a littlre i guess too nnow that i look at it.

TLS
09-19-2002, 10:11 PM
Are you guys actually believing that this blower can produce 640 mph???

If you are, then I have a bridge to sell ALL of you's!

The 1200 CFM's is most likely correct, as most blowers in the 65cc class are reporting 1000+ CFM's at the housing.

HOWEVER... the 640mph is WAY, WAY off! I'd give them 240 mph, but even THAT would be high. The only other thing that I can think of is that the 640mph is REALLY supposed to be the CFM at the end of the pipe (which really makes sense).

This rediculous misprint garnered 21 posts on here. Just because the misprint occurrs on their website as well as the Turf Mag ad, doesn't make it true. I take it as a company that isn't up with the #'s on current blowers and blew good advertising dollars on a blatently obvious error.

YES, the ad got OUR attention, but you don't see me RUNNING out and buying one!

This horse has been beaten long enough....

Darryl G
09-19-2002, 10:59 PM
John Gamba - If yours sucks instead of blows, you must have the hose mounted on the intake or your engine is running backwards!.:D

BigJim
09-20-2002, 01:51 AM
This horse has been beaten long enough....

Been fun flogging it though............:laugh:

awm
09-20-2002, 05:52 AM
im looking kid ,im looking,and i believe u rite.

John Gamba
09-20-2002, 07:45 AM
That's How It Felt:angry: Another problem with it is It Clog's very easy with leaves And you Need to take the back Off to Clean properly.:angry:

Just tryed the curved End option On the 650. very impressed:D A Must for leaves:blob3: it blows like A Push blower:D I can't wait For the leaves this year. so Many New Toy's to play with:gunsfirin

Flex-Deck
09-21-2002, 12:35 AM
My blower was advertised at 200 mph - don't give a dam about the cfpm or whatever - I know it blows enough air in a very concentrated stream, and anything on the sidewalk goes away - WOW - aint that special.

Thanks, Brad

Flex-Deck
09-21-2002, 12:38 AM
WOW - My blower was rated at 200 mph - it blows a lot of air in a nicely contained stream, and everything on the cement seems to disappear - I do not know what cfpm it does, or what hp it has, but I do not care - it works very well

Thanks, Brad

Mow&Snow
09-21-2002, 01:30 AM
Another thread that just won't die....

Darryl G
09-21-2002, 01:47 AM
How about y'all pitch in for the $399 and I'll give it a test through leaf season for you (if it makes it) and I'll tell you what I think of it? Then we can put this to rest once and for all!:D

joed
09-21-2002, 07:12 PM
John Gamba writes
Just tryed the curved end option on the 650. Very impressed.

John,
When did Echo come out with a curved end for the 650. I just bought one in July and asked the dealer for a curved end extension. He said Echo doesn't make one.

TLS
09-21-2002, 10:23 PM
Hey John, I'd like one too! Do you have a PN for it? As we know the older ECHO tubes are smaller and won't work.

Help us out!