PDA

View Full Version : Scag Tiger Cub catches FIRE

Silverback
03-06-2011, 09:49 PM
This past Friday our Tiger Cat ('09 - STC52V25C) ignited on the right side of engine. My worker heard an explosion and jumped off the mower. Another worker put the fire out using a jug of water. Thankfully nobody was hurt.

I read another thread about a Tiger Cat igniting into flames. I'll contact Scag and the dealer on Monday. But can anybody give me any idea what to expect?

My pics are below:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/manimalrox/EngineFireTopView030411.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/manimalrox/EngineFireSideView030411.jpg

kilgoja
03-06-2011, 10:15 PM
whoa...never seen that happen before :O

flatlander42
03-06-2011, 10:16 PM
subscribed to see the reason!

Fuel Related? Explosion......is there any damage to the block?

Silverback
03-06-2011, 10:30 PM
I'll see the mower in person tomorrow at the shop. From what my guy tells me he believes it'll still start. So not sure if engine block is damaged or not.

Grass Shark
03-06-2011, 11:17 PM
wow that sucks, thank God nobody was hurt

White Gardens
03-06-2011, 11:51 PM
I'm guessing the fuel line came off the carb, similar to what happened on my Dixie Chopper last year.

rwaters
03-06-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm guessing the fuel line came off the carb, similar to what happened on my Dixie Chopper last year.

Looks like it fuel line came off at the fuel pump by the location of the burned parts. And no it would not have started no fuel will get to the engine, and the ignition coil is fried. As for what to expect I would expect scag to send a factory rep to see the fire. Good luck, from the picture I am not sure this would be covered under warranty. Is it still under warranty just in case?

On another note it looks like your air filter housing was on wrong, you might want to teach your guys to put them on right so you do not have dirt leak past from a loose air filter.

soloscaperman
03-07-2011, 01:25 AM
Is there a recall?? This is like the 4th tiger cub that caught on fire that I read online!

SouthSide Cutter
03-07-2011, 07:37 AM
That is the side the fuel line is routed. Ill be checking mine in a few minutes!!!!

rwaters
03-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Is there a recall?? This is like the 4th tiger cub that caught on fire that I read online!

I do not know of any recall with fuel lines or the fuel pump for a scag. As for the true cause I doubt you will figure it out with what is left of that mower. I have a feeling that since it could be put out with little problem it was before the fuel pump, so maybe the fuel line came off at the inlet of the pump... or maybe even just a nick in the line.

regardless it will be hard to prove a warranty. I have only seen one mower catch fire like this, it was in Washington Indiana, and it was also a scag but since I am not the scag dealer I did not have to deal with it. From what I understand from the customer it did not go well for him though.

D&K Lawns
03-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Expect a new motor. Is warranty out? My tiger cub is a 2004. It's my back up. Let us know what your dealer says.

wahlturfcare
03-07-2011, 09:34 AM
go to scags website. I saw a fuel leak recall last fall about the wildcats and have repaired a couple because of the same problem this week.

Clark Griswold
03-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Your insurance should take care of it, oh lord you don't have insurance!

fireman9
03-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Not funny, but thats where the fuel pump was on my wildcat, I replace the pump once because of it leaking. Replaced all the fuel lines too at the same time after seeing one burnt up just like yours. All my mowers now have a 5lb ABC extinguisher mounted on them.

Oh and when the pump leaks, it drips on the frame, runs back, and drips directly on the muffler....... ;)

Patriot Services
03-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Not funny, but thats where the fuel pump was on my wildcat, I replace the pump once because of it leaking. Replaced all the fuel lines too at the same time after seeing one burnt up just like yours. All my mowers now have a 5lb ABC extinguisher mounted on them.

Oh and when the pump leaks, it drips on the frame, runs back, and drips directly on the muffler....... ;)

How nice a built in wick and igniter. People laugh when they see my extinguisher mounted on my DC and Scag.
Equipment insurance doesn't sound like a bad idea now does it?

jherety
03-07-2011, 12:20 PM
I browse copart.com looking for salvage vehicles and have come across several Scags that were being sold with fire damage. I always assumed it was people collecting insurance money on a mower they couldn't afford. Definitely going to check the fuel lines on my Exmark when I get it out!

Wes
Posted via Mobile Device

fireman9
03-07-2011, 12:25 PM
If your board, try Google-ing "SCAG FIRE" and watch what shows up. I was surprised.

Oh, and check your fuel tank grommets too, they also like to leak. Now I know why Ferris brags about top mount fuel lines on there tanks. My IS3100z never had a problem.

fireman9
03-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Kind of a before pictures... from my Wildcat 30hp Kohler. You can see where the fuel lines went. In the lower corner you can make out the edge of the fuel filter and see how everything drips onto the muffler directly below. You'd think they would have made a heat shield or placed the pump elsewhere. When the pump starts to fail they will usually leak from the breather. That yellow-gold circle just left of center on the pump.

kilgoja
03-07-2011, 12:59 PM
maybe it's just on the kohler engines?...what about the kawi's?

fireman9
03-07-2011, 01:16 PM
If you look closely under the left arm rest, attached to the ROPS you'll see the fire extinguisher on my Ferris. I have insurance, but NOW I have piece of mind too. In this area we mostly have volunteer fire departments, and I don't want to have a mower fire and WAIT till someone shows up. Not to mention burning up someones property.

Silverback
03-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Update:
Great news. After emailing both Scag and my local dealer in Houston I got a call. Koehler's rep, Al Schmitz, offered to replace engine an cover all costs. A new Koehler Comando 25 is on the way. I've received calls from Koehler, Scag, and dealer. Everyone was helpful and acted in a professional manner. Consider me impressed. Now I'm buying fire extinguisher.

Thanks for all your input guys. Love this site.
Posted via Mobile Device

Grass Shark
03-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Update:
Great news. After emailing both Scag and my local dealer in Houston I got a call. Koehler's rep, Al Schmitz, offered to replace engine an cover all costs. A new Koehler Comando 25 is on the way. I've received calls from Koehler, Scag, and dealer. Everyone was helpful and acted in a professional manner. Consider me impressed. Now I'm buying fire extinguisher.

Posted via Mobile Device

Thats really good to hear that they stande behind thier product!

fireman9
03-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Update:

Posted via Mobile Device

AWESOME JOB SCAG ! ! :) It's nice to have someone willing to stand behind a product once and a while. ( next time hope they have a fire extinguisher too...lol)

rwaters
03-07-2011, 04:39 PM
AWESOME JOB SCAG ! ! :) It's nice to have someone willing to stand behind a product once and a while. ( next time hope they have a fire extinguisher too...lol)

Sounds like the credit should go to Kohler for standing behind the engine. I am glad you got it covered.

Mike Blevins
03-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Sounds like the props go to the dealer,Scag and kohler. Its good to know that there are still companies out there that back up what they produce. :usflag:

kb9nvh
06-04-2011, 02:45 PM
www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=276252

This is what happened when my 2006 (2yr old) tiger cub burst into flames in 2009.

SCAG offered little.

kb9nvh
06-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Yes, this is a horrible flaw in the design where any gas will flow off the engine deck and directly on to the HOT muffler. My replacement mower has the muffler away and somewhat above the rear deck.

kb9nvh
06-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Those fuel pumps are put on there by the engine manf. No regard for the final installation and the impact of a gas leak.

Kind of a before pictures... from my Wildcat 30hp Kohler. You can see where the fuel lines went. In the lower corner you can make out the edge of the fuel filter and see how everything drips onto the muffler directly below. You'd think they would have made a heat shield or placed the pump elsewhere. When the pump starts to fail they will usually leak from the breather. That yellow-gold circle just left of center on the pump.

kb9nvh
06-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Kawi fuel pumps sit right back there also.

maybe it's just on the kohler engines?...what about the kawi's?

MJB
06-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Well, Your definately going to need a new air filter . LOL

Seriously every year check all your fuel lines for cracks or loose clamps. I change mine out when I see cracks or after 1000 hrs.

thezaz
06-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Dang!! Good thing your ok.