PDA

View Full Version : 36 wright stander

jimbos
09-16-2002, 10:50 PM
went today and tested a 36" stander and was really impressed. Just wanted to check with anyone to see if 5299.00 was a fair price with the 17 kawasaki and electric start.

Flex-Deck
09-16-2002, 11:06 PM
The Flex-Deck should fit a wright stander very well also - Have a guy in Florida that has a wright stander 36" and is very seriously contemplating getting one - he wants to mow under his trees and get between some narrow places.

Hate to disappoint, but no pics here - see my sponsor forum

Thanks, Brad

AielLandscaping
09-16-2002, 11:35 PM
that sounds like a fair deal to me, i was going to get a 17hp w/es but when my dealer called and told me he had a promotional 15hp kawi for 3999 i bought it as fast as i could. that price i had been looking at for the 17hp was 5599, i think, whatever the suggested retail was.

Tidycut
09-17-2002, 08:41 AM
Hey Jimbos,

I bought that exact same mower a month ago and paid the same price as was quoted to you. I did find a few dealers in the Orlando area that were $150 cheaper but it wasn't worth the trouble of driving over there. I also got an extra set of blades free and a nice pat on the back. Anyway, I'm pleased overall with the mower. Handles great, easy to use and is fun to drive. The only disadvantage, from my standpoint, to the mower is the height of cut adjustment. Basically done with spacers and moving bolt positions. Which isn't a big deal unless you need to lower the rear wheel height. Currently I don't have any yards that require this but my inquisitive nature dictates scientific experimentation. So, I quickly realized a problem with my 36" Stander. Which is - the hydraulic hoses to the rear wheel motors lay directly over the bottom forward nut and bolt on the mounting bracket. Making it difficult to get at and this nut is torqued on from the factory with a lot of force. I had to use a four-way lug wrench to break free the other nuts but couldn't get at this one because of the hoses. I tried an open-end wrench but couldn't budge it and was afraid of rounding off the nut. Anyway, Friday I'm taking it to the dealer to let them look at it.

However the problem seems to be unique with only my Stander, as far as I know. I looked at others and the hoses were routed slightly different than mine. So a word to the wise - make sure you can get at them nuts. :p

Rick

Flex-Deck
09-18-2002, 07:09 PM
Is it not amazing that we are paying $5200 for 36" mowers? WOW time does go on. And the mowers are worth what they cost because they do the job we need done. There are a lot of good machines out there, and I would only recommend that dealer support be a big factor, much bigger than saving a $100 here or there on a better bid on the original price.

If your dealer makes a little money on the machine, he will probably fit you in much faster if you need work done on your machine. - "How much is that worth"

Thanks, Brad

Roger
09-18-2002, 08:30 PM
Since the thread is focused on Wright Stander, I have a related question for current users. How difficult is the height change?

I know that the front casters are mounted on brackets with a latch pin and collars. This 'feature' makes me think twice about considering a Wright.

I currently have a 36" Exmark Viking (hydro/fixed deck) and it has the same caster/collar arrangement for height adjustment. My mower is very light in the front. I can pick up the front with one hand, while I pull out the caster shaft , change collars, and remount. However, I think that the Wright is much heavier in the front, making the procedure of picking up the front impossible. Is the only way to remove the caster to run one wheel on the ramp of the trailer? Or, do you use a jack?

My pattern of work requires that I change heights often, sometimes one or two times on the same property. I've had serious reservations about Wright because of this point. Great Dane has a much easier height change procedure.

While I'm asking questions to current users, does anybody have any productivity comparisons between a 36" w/b hydro and a 36" Stander? I'm getting tired of walking (limited use of a Velke), and may seriously consider a standon mower for next season.

How about quality of cut between a 36" Exmark fixed deck and a Wright Stander 36?

I would consider a 48" deck, but I have several gated back yards with gates too small for a 48" deck. I may consider keeping my Exmark 36" for those, and use a 48" for others.

Comments? Thanks,

Roger

jimbos
09-18-2002, 09:57 PM
Flex-deck, what has to be done for your product to work on the 36 stander? Also dealer carries chopper and exmark, he had no idea that you put it on the 36 viking and 52 tt.(looked at me like i was nuts!) So i sent him to this page- will talk to him on friday when i pick up the stander. By the way he said the chopper guys love it(flex-deck), and don't want the word to get around.

jimbos
09-18-2002, 10:05 PM
aiel do you drive your stander in the bed of your truck? I thought I saw a pic of your rig before. If so how easy is it to pull-start your machine when its on the truck? Also tell me one good and bad thing that you have found with the 36 stander, thanks.

jimbos
09-18-2002, 10:11 PM
tidycut, i'm guessing that you are close to cocoa beach, yes? My question to you is about the height diff between st. aug and bahia in the winter.(i usually mow the bahia shorter just to be able to cut some off when it slows down) Is it going to be a pain to lower?

Flex-Deck
09-18-2002, 10:14 PM
Jimbos - Got a guy in Florida that is drooling about putting it on a Wright stander when he can afford it or get it done, and we talked about deck measurements, and it should go on a stander very well -

HERE IS MY DILEMA and YOU SAID IT PERFECTLY - Everyone that has one does not want anyone else to know because it is so efficient that all of a sudden they have the advantage as to making MONEY. This Flex-Deck deal is so revolutionary that it is hard for most to even think it will work, let alone look at it

It is like when the Weed-Eater came out in about 1960 - People scoffed and said there is no way string can cut grass! Guess what - Everyone has at least one weed-whacker today.

If you need a video or whatever, email me with your address and phone and we will talk. I will send you some info along with the video - we do have dealer programs available. The video is home made and somewhat blurry, but am in the process of getting one done by the pros. It does show you what it does though.

Thanks, Bradhttp://36X

Shady Brook
09-18-2002, 10:21 PM
That 36 stander is a neat lookin little mower. I think it would be very productive... I can't do 5,000 plus for a 36. I will suffer with belt drives to save a couple grand, but that is just me. I would rather spend the big bucks on a big rider that I can really make hay with, especially with greater ground speed, easy deck lift assist, and ability to change mow height from my seat.

To the question I think that is a pretty fair price.

Enjoy whatever you get.

Jay

jimbos
09-18-2002, 10:32 PM
shady brook, I hear ya! I remember whe i bought my first 36 beltdrive, it was an exmark. That was in 1989 and i think it was 1,800 bucks with a 12.5 kawi! Moved from orlando to the beach, and the properties are really small now in comparison. Will look into 60 inch chopper or lazer when the time comes, they both rock.

Shady Brook
09-18-2002, 10:40 PM
No doubt Jimbos, over on the thread with a Tiger Cub, a fella said a Scag rep told him a new 2003 cub with 25 Kohler, and 61" deck would sell in the spring for 6195! I know it is not a Dixie or Lazer, but man, that is not much more then a 36 stander.

Jay

AielLandscaping
09-18-2002, 10:53 PM
aiel do you drive your stander in the bed of your truck? I thought I saw a pic of your rig before. If so how easy is it to pull-start your machine when its on the truck? Also tell me one good and bad thing that you have found with the 36 stander, thanks.

jimbos currently i'm using a 4x8 trailer for my 36 stander and a 21 honda, but that's just until the trailer i want gets shipped to my dealer. then i'll be moving up to a 6.5x12. pull starting isn't hard though. my 4x8 has 4 foot high sides on it, so when i pull start i just squeeze around to the front of the mower and pull, or lean over the controls and use two hands to pull the cord straight up. that way is a little awkward, but it works easily enough.

good things about it - no more walking. lawns look like i just vacuumed them. fast. extremely manuverable. easy to use. doesn't take up much room. fun. etc...

bad things about it - i get done early and can't use it anymore for the day. (that's the worst thing i can think of.)

Tidycut
09-19-2002, 03:23 PM
Jimbos, yes I'm near Cocoa Beach, Cocoa actually. I'll admit height adjustment is a pain on the Stander. I run one wheel up the gate ramp and it takes about 5 minutes to change blade spacers, caster spacers and/or caster bracket positioning bolts. You've gotta plan ahead for the different yards, because changing the height often can eat up time during the day.

Rick

KLMlawn
09-19-2002, 03:58 PM
Basically, yes, it is front-end heavy ... but for a reason. If it wasn't, you would need bigger and longer "wheelie" rollers in the back of the machine ... as it is you can pull a wheelie from a dead stop or even slow roll with the weight distribution as it is now.
That said, the easiest and SAFEST way is to make the investment in a Jungle Jack or similar lifting device. They don't take up much room in the trailer and make changing blades a lot more pleasant experience, plus it can be used to lift the back of the machine if you ever need to service the drive tires.
Price - I bought my 36" 15 Kawi 2 years ago for 3999 on promo, but they regularly retail for about $5200, slightly more with the 17 Kawi elec/recoil. My new 52" Stander 25 Kawi Elec. was $6000 out the door, even though the MSRP is $6749 ... bottom line is haggle or shop around.
The machine itself ... as most of you know from other posts and with the fact I own two, I think they are great machines, versitale and compact. They cut and stripe well ....

TJLC
09-19-2002, 07:14 PM
This has probally been asked before but how are the wright standers on steep slopes, I mean will they hold as well as say a 48" w/b?

Flex-Deck
09-21-2002, 11:16 AM
Could someone get me a picture of the wright stander deck from the front left corner and possibly measure the height of the deck - from the bottom of the skirt to the top of the deck - also - height above the top of the deck to the centerline of the drive belt on the left spindle - Need to see how the front castors are attached, and how far inward they are positioned if possible

Thanks, Brad

Shady Brook
09-21-2002, 08:34 PM
Ah Brad, just go buy a stander, you will have a great tax write off, and a nice machine to boot! :D

Jay

Turfdude
09-21-2002, 08:48 PM
Brad,

I don't think it'll be as easy as you think to take measurements. I got 2 diff 48" standers from 2 diff dealers and had to change set up on one to be similar to the other. There are too many variables. Guys whop mow lower have to have the reaer wheels set in the lower position (total of 3 I think to choose from), and guys who mow 3"+ have to use the higher position. So unless your flex deck has some versatility and good instruction, a stander owner could be S.O.L. Personally, I set all of my machines at the same height (w/in 1/8"0 and leave them there.
Makes my life a lot easier and then I don't hafve to worry about wasting time changing heighs and worrying that my foremen & laborers check to make sure they are at correct height.

Bob

jimbos
09-22-2002, 09:03 AM
hey flex deck, I will see if I can get those measurements for you monday at the shop.

Flex-Deck
09-22-2002, 08:55 PM
Turfdude - My Flex-Deck is on a 1/2" spacer deal - easy to change - Set my Flex-Deck at the height you want to mow then set the main deck to that height.

It will do things you have never done before:http://36X