PDA

View Full Version : Help with Landscape Design. First Design Project I have had.

Mxrider52
03-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Hey I am looking for some advice on how to go about designing this property. This is the first landscape design project I have had. Most of the time I am just maintaining the landscape already there.

I have some pictures of the property and what I want to do. Take a look at the pictures and give me an idea of what you would do or plant. Obviously we have to spray to kill all the grass but basically what I want is something that is low maintenance as far as plants go. Nothing that is going to grow overly huge or need trimmed all the time. I am thinking probably the same type of plant and flowers all across the front? Just give me suggestions of how you would design this.

This picture is of the front of the whole house. I need to redo the whole front. The 2 plants will be removed and we will mulch it all the way across with the addition of new plants and flowers. The stone pathway can be removed. It does not have to stay. Or we were thinking maybe just fill it in with mulch? Or would you take the stones and line the flowerbed edge with them?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/mxrider52/IMG_3219-1.jpg

In this image this is the right side of the front of the house and butts into the driveway. From the front porch step to the driveway it measures 15 ft. The plant will be removed and additional plants will be added. I was thinking 2 plants with some colorful flowers? and how far would you bring the mulching out? 4 ft? or would you just leave the pathway there and mulch inside the pathway?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/mxrider52/IMG_3217.jpg

In this image this is the left of the front of the house. It measures 23 ft from the step but at the other end is a hillside that drops off to a retaining wall. Here I was thinking 3 plants spaced evenly and colorful flowers. Once again the same question would you bring the mulching out 4 ft? Or how far out would you come?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/mxrider52/IMG_3218.jpg

In this image is the side of the house. Right now it has some kind of flowers. I am not sure as they are just starting to come up. But he was just kind of wanting to just mulch it down through there for right now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/mxrider52/IMG_3220.jpg

gunsnroses
03-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Pay someone to do it if you dont have the experience. Save yourself the trouble. Some important questions need to be asked here.

starry night
03-07-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm not trying to be mean, but it sounds like you don't have ANY basic knowledge for doing this job. You should first study, on your own, about various plants and about basic design. Try the internet or some books.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-07-2011, 06:46 PM
I know you said you have never done an install. But you really need to have more experience taking on a job like this. I have many different ideas in my head but nothing that a first timer could do. Put in a brickpavers walkway with sleek lines, use the pavers lines as contour lines for your mulch beds, you could come out as much as 6-10 feet away from the house.

Your thinking way to small, your design is going to look like the home owner just wanted some plants planted by himself.

Ask the homeowner what they want to see it look like, and what they are looking to spend. Come up with a rough overhead aerial design, then google, read and research good plants for your hardiness zone, how to plant, what goes together good. Figure how long the job will take you . Look at pictures. and ask someone who knows what they are doing to help you. Learning from experience is great, but not if you get burned.

starry night
03-07-2011, 06:55 PM

Your thinking way to small, your design is going to look like the home owner just wanted some plants planted by himself. ..............

Ask the homeowner what they want to see it look like, and what they are looking to spend. .

I'll bet the homeowner probably already gave him some clues. And again, no offense to the OP (everybody has to start somewhere) but if the homeowner wanted something more elaborate, they would be hiring someone with more experience.

Mxrider52
03-07-2011, 07:30 PM
I know you said you have never done an install. But you really need to have more experience taking on a job like this. I have many different ideas in my head but nothing that a first timer could do. Put in a brickpavers walkway with sleek lines, use the pavers lines as contour lines for your mulch beds, you could come out as much as 6-10 feet away from the house.

Your thinking way to small, your design is going to look like the home owner just wanted some plants planted by himself.

Ask the homeowner what they want to see it look like, and what they are looking to spend. Come up with a rough overhead aerial design, then google, read and research good plants for your hardiness zone, how to plant, what goes together good. Figure how long the job will take you . Look at pictures. and ask someone who knows what they are doing to help you. Learning from experience is great, but not if you get burned.

Thanks for the advice. Were not really looking to make a walkway or anything. Either use the stones that are there and redo the pathway or eliminate the stones all together.

That the thing he is not looking to spend tons of money. I know the homeowner and he just wanted me to design something up for him. Were not looking to make a show stopping landscape design just a simple flowerbed with a few plants and flowers. I know how to do the mulching and the bed edging. I just wanted ideas on what kind of plants to plant. He wants something that is going to be low maintenance. He wants me to come up with the design as he is too busy to do it himself.

So forget the planting right now. How would you guys do the beds? Like how would you design the bed? Like how far out would you come? Would you make the bed a straight line all the way across the house or a straight line to the left of the steps and than to the right curve the bed out in front of the pathway to the driveway?

gunsnroses
03-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Aww hell. It seems like you need some work or you wouldnt do it. I am here to help my fellow American. The rocks are crap for walkway. Remove rocks and create an 18inchish drystack bed, level but taper into grade about 12ft from left to right. Make new walkway w/ a mild s to the driveway....use metal bed edging to make the sides...and a base of polyproylene spun fabric....cover walkway w/ a creap crusher stone. Make beds in front of house w/curves...like you remember in the ladies from yer 20s. Not many just one for each side of walkway...curve into the walk to make symetrical flower beds. Fill beds 3 inches w/ mulch...not red...not lava either. Go to home cheepo and get 12 7 gal shrubs that look good..tell the old lady at the depot what yer lookin for in a plant. get some tall ones for the corners. Get 4 flats of some wave petunias or sumptin....6 bags of soil and plant these in an unmulched section on both sides of yer new walkway in front of your new shrubs. water in everything real good. Drink a beer. Get off your rump and spray those horrible weeds. Go around to the other side and bury the drain pipe properly. drink another beer. stop there because your client is out of money. send bill for 1,350.00. Save 300 for when they call to replace some plants. Buy 300.00 in books,c d roms etc. Save 500.00 for the gic conference next fall. 100.00 for gas....that leaves 50.00 for more beer.:drinkup:

White Gardens
03-08-2011, 12:48 AM
Re-size your photos! I want to help but this thread is giving me a headache.

Mxrider52
03-08-2011, 01:09 AM
Aww hell. It seems like you need some work or you wouldnt do it. I am here to help my fellow American. The rocks are crap for walkway. Remove rocks and create an 18inchish drystack bed, level but taper into grade about 12ft from left to right. Make new walkway w/ a mild s to the driveway....use metal bed edging to make the sides...and a base of polyproylene spun fabric....cover walkway w/ a creap crusher stone. Make beds in front of house w/curves...like you remember in the ladies from yer 20s. Not many just one for each side of walkway...curve into the walk to make symetrical flower beds. Fill beds 3 inches w/ mulch...not red...not lava either. Go to home cheepo and get 12 7 gal shrubs that look good..tell the old lady at the depot what yer lookin for in a plant. get some tall ones for the corners. Get 4 flats of some wave petunias or sumptin....6 bags of soil and plant these in an unmulched section on both sides of yer new walkway in front of your new shrubs. water in everything real good. Drink a beer. Get off your rump and spray those horrible weeds. Go around to the other side and bury the drain pipe properly. drink another beer. stop there because your client is out of money. send bill for 1,350.00. Save 300 for when they call to replace some plants. Buy 300.00 in books,c d roms etc. Save 500.00 for the gic conference next fall. 100.00 for gas....that leaves 50.00 for more beer.:drinkup:

Thanks for the info. That helps. I will see what the nursery and home depot have available and go from there. Yea those drain pipes are just laying there. I assume they were extras.

I would if I could. There no edit button on my posts so I cant do anything about it. I always thought there was an edit button but I guess not. :confused:

Glenn Lawn Care
03-08-2011, 01:27 AM
Sorry to be an ass, but if you have to ask I think its out of your element. I looked that your pictures for not even 30 seconds and came up with something that would look exceptional for that property! I'd start with the condition of the grass for starters!

Mxrider52
03-08-2011, 01:36 AM
Sorry to be an ass, but if you have to ask I think its out of your element. I looked that your pictures for not even 30 seconds and came up with something that would look exceptional for that property! I'd start with the condition of the grass for starters!

Well I have an idea. I was just looking for some opinions of some more experienced people.

Smallaxe
03-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Looks like a blank slate and could be lots of fun. The walk to the driveway is already very close to the building. Any shrubs put along there need to come further out from the porch and have room to grow. So I would either blend the stones in with the mulched bed some how or space them further apart in the grass.

Your next big element is the lack of any type of aesthetics in this field... I would think that placing various tree about the property has crossed your mind, particularily Shade trees near the house, and some kind of hedge along the property line so that you're not looking across an open field to your neighbor.

I wouldn't have to be a dense privacy hedge, just something of interest that draws the eye away from the open boring expanse. Even a perenial garden with roses or hydrangeas etc.

White Gardens
03-08-2011, 11:14 AM
I would if I could. There no edit button on my posts so I cant do anything about it. I always thought there was an edit button but I guess not. :confused:

Only for 10 minutes after a post. You can re-size your photos in paint also for future reference. Thumbs Up

bmc1025
03-08-2011, 11:41 AM

Maybe people should quit viewing forums on their netbook...

As to the OP, gunsnroses put you on the right track. I struggle with design myself.
Some questions you should ask yourself when taking on a project like this would be: How much sun does this area get? Water? Type of soil? Is the customer going to maintain? Does he want you to maintain? Some customers only like to pay someone to maintain once a year, most landscapes need it at least twice a year.

If it is hardly going to get maintained things like Knockout roses, widely spaced Boxwoods, Barberry, or Holly. Hydrangeas give plenty of colors and don't need much upkeep but make a mess of the mulch.

On the left side of the house I would think about making it wider towards the corner and planting a small slow growing tree, I know the budget is low but some kind of Japanese Maple would be my first thought. You would be surprised at all the varieties there are so make sure you research before choosing.

Waves would make for some quick color just make sure they will get plenty of sun and get properly watered.

Draw some things up and share with us I'm sure more people would chime in with suggestions after seeing you do some homework.

White Gardens
03-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Maybe people should quit viewing forums on their netbook...

Huh?......

blueheronlandscaping
03-10-2011, 03:55 PM
What part Tn. are you in?

ForestCreekLandscaping
03-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the info. That helps. I will see what the nursery and home depot have available and go from there.

Dont buy your plants from Home Depot. Buy them wholesale so you can mark up the plant material. The homeowner wont be happy when he walks into Home depot and sees the shrub you charged him 75 for on sale for 20.

powerslawn&landscaping
03-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Stone walk is a trip hazard , it's gotta go ! Make a sketch , What direction is the house facing ? What is the soil type ? Does it have water issues ? Go to a local nursery and take this info. They will certainly help you with the plant material. Use a few pieces of flagstone for the walkway , using a little sand under it. Ask the person you purchase it from if they can give you some pointers. Good Luck

MarkintheGarden
03-13-2011, 07:26 PM
I agree that you and your client should consult someone with education and experience with landscape design. It will cost him less in the long run, and it will be better for you.

Otherwise you will not achieve the goal, A low maintenance attractive landscape that will enhance the property now and in the future.

When you take on a project that is way over your head, you end up wasting time and it becomes a disappointment for you and your customer.

angelc77
03-13-2011, 11:44 PM
Make it simple and affordable since its your first job, dont take shortcuts and have a plan before you go at it, dont get overwhelmed most people here i guess were pros since they started, ask questions at your local nurseries the guys are there to help and get off at giving you info it makes them feel important and they are getting pay to help you, i would do one section at a time since you are new tell the customer it'll be better to focus on the front of the property first. I would get rid if the steping stones its all about the customers budget, if low make an s shape walkway use metal edging cut grass out level ground 2 inches deep place weed mat use river stone or crushed stone and use flat stepping stones in middle as a walkway, bed to right of housecut out all weed and grass from the root spray and plant by entrance you want something the grows up to 3"-5" tall follow line with some miniature boxwood mix it with a wild grass or a flowering bush place them 2-3 feet apart if you have the space use proper fresh topsoil and peat moss we use up in Jersey no idea where you are, left side keep it simple slow grower evergreen by entrance make sure it doesnt grow past 12-16 feet so you or homeowner can keep it prune throughout the years, save those azaleas get one more if possible same height make a line 3 of them 3 feet apart prune the older ones to match new one they will go in back line meke a new line in front of it with smaller shrubs mix color maybe golden cypress if they grow by you or other plants that wont grow as high as your azalea line behind and finally in front place some ground cover to fill in and mix it up have fun make it yours, edge with a hose nice and deep 5-6 inches place mulch, rake it so it looks from a magazine and get your paper make sure you get at least $1500 -$2000 since you are a the new guy once you get going you'll know how much to charge dont do it and barely make a profit . Have a beer like the other guy said and read read read you wont be the first or last person asking for ideas good luck.

johnnybow
03-14-2011, 09:20 PM
I agee, research and you have to start somwhere. I posted on here and i got flamed for being a lowballer. Only cause i didnt go into enough detail and people assumed i was. Its really not that complicated. Search the web.

MarkintheGarden
03-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Yes, everyone has to start somewhere, and the best place to start is with landscape design classes. Next step would be horticulture classes. It is not as easy as some seem to think.

Before you decide how big to make the beds, you need to know what you are going to plant in them. Before you know what to plant, you need to consider the position of the property relative to the sun and it helps to have a working understanding of the kind of plant material that you can use that will be appropriate to your region and to the specific locations on the landscape.

A design requires a complicated balance of many factors. You need to have the knowledge of design principles and plants in order to create a plan that will be attractive and reliable.

If you are not going to do this the right way, then the next best thing you can do is drive around the area and look for a landscape that looks like what your customer wants and copy the design and the plant selections.

Smallaxe
03-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Design is the BIG PICTURE, the individual plantings, and the type of colors and textures as well as the time of the year in which you are most interestted in seeing these pictures are all a part of the design...

Classes are fine, but people, especially clients are what is important to you as a Pro... :)

Mxrider52
03-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the help guys. At least some understand that we are not all pros at this. We all have to start somewhere. I am piecing a few ideas together. Still thinking about it.

I think I am going to leave the stones and remodify them and put metal edging down beside and than fill it in with sand. And make the left side of the bed wavy and than bring the right bed out to the metal edging for the walkway.

Now I just have to figure out plants to put in it. Nothing to extensive. Just something to make the front of the house look a bit better.

Well that is if he wants me to do it. Depending on the price.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 05:58 AM
Here is something quick i put together for you.This thread is stressing me out reading it. READ READ READ AND LEARN FROM OTHER DESIGNS.

This is just a simple design for the front yard. Re-shape the flagstone walk, with stone dust underneath. Line the walkway with pea gravel or river rock around 4" wide and continue on side closest to house, along the driveway.

Plant something colorful along the walk and on the left side of walk as you are going up the steps with a small ornamental tree to give height, and ground cover under. The corner of the house, plant a larger tree, like a Eastern Dogwood or a Pine tree or spruce or some type of evergreen. Make sure this tree can grow at leased 15ft tall when fully mature.

alone the railing of the house in the front right side, plant some evergreen shrubs, or boxwood to keep it simple with the impatiens in front.

Also, build beds up from back to front and make sure there is a slow grade down from the house. This helps with drainage, and builds the height of the design so when everything is grown in, the back plants appear larger.

Here is a quick edit of the property. Sorry for it being so messy, its 5 in the morning and i cant sleep. you could easily order 8 yards of mulch($200), go to home depot and get 6 flats of flowers($75), 7 box woods($140), a small Japanese maple(100), a small Eastern boxwood or ornamental pine tree($150-200), a flat of ground cover ($30), 10 bags of pea gravel($40) an a yard of 21AA or Stone Dust($35) Plus 15 hours labor(on the high side)

This project could be under 820 for material and around another 850 to install it all.

The back and side, i wouldn't even worry about plants if he is on a budget, and just do some mulch 2ft along the back of the house, and exaggerate the corner with a big circle of mulch on each corner.

White Gardens
03-16-2011, 07:29 AM
Here is something quick i put together for you.This thread is stressing me out reading it. READ READ READ AND LEARN FROM OTHER DESIGNS.

Good perspective DLONG. Looks good. And yes this thread is stressing me out too.

The only difference I would make is the sidewalk. Either pour a good walk-way or try to install pavers.

You can do flagstone paths with the rock between them, but this is going to be the most used sidewalk on the property. Anytime someone comes to visit the home, they will more than likely use it.

So doing a good front sidewalk would lead to better safety for anyone coming to visit, especially if it's 90 year old grandma coming over with her walker for Sunday dinner.

Ultimately you are looking out for your clients interests. A small investment in a good walk-way will keep any slip and fall claims away from the homeowner.

Smallaxe
03-16-2011, 07:54 AM
Hahaha, That's the deal with 'design'... everybody wants a 5th Avenue look for a sub-division comfort zone...

Pea gravel sucks in any landscape design, especially with southern exposure and where leaves can drop in... Just an Opinion and the clients' opinion rules... :)

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 09:08 AM
Good perspective DLONG. Looks good. And yes this thread is stressing me out too.

The only difference I would make is the sidewalk. Either pour a good walk-way or try to install pavers.

You can do flagstone paths with the rock between them, but this is going to be the most used sidewalk on the property. Anytime someone comes to visit the home, they will more than likely use it.

So doing a good front sidewalk would lead to better safety for anyone coming to visit, especially if it's 90 year old grandma coming over with her walker for Sunday dinner.

Ultimately you are looking out for your clients interests. A small investment in a good walk-way will keep any slip and fall claims away from the homeowner.

just keeping an eye out for the bottom line of the guys client. I would never do a project like this or even get near it, way to much work for my standards to keep a limited budget like this. I would tell him to invest 6-10% of his homes value in his landscape and call it good.

Also, with regards to the pea gravel, i know it gets messy but up in the north, a lot of people use flagstone and bluestone dry laid in pea gravel. I dont see any trees near the property so i doubt leaves will be a huge issue. Just something to better outline the patio with minimal cheap material

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Hope this helps the OP, and hopefully this is the end of the thread.

ha

starry night
03-16-2011, 09:59 AM
This thread is stressing me out, as well. I haven't posted since the first page.
It's driving me crazy because despite many good ideas suggested, still NOBODY knows the budget. DeLong, I think your time was wasted. I will be utterly surprised if the homeowner would spend even $1500. Not to be arrogant or high-minded, but this is a pretty inexpensive home. Sure, it's home to these folks and that means everything. But if you look at the pictures, you'll see that the lawn is in rough shape; there is the black plastic tile left lying beside the house; there are the two unkempt bushes in front. These are not signs of someone who wants to put money into landscaping Iif they have it.)
Before spending any time planning a nice landscape job, even a simple one,
the OP should throw some figures to the homeowner. "What do you have mind, XX dollars or XXX dollars.?" Usually, clients won't volunteer a dollar amount but will react very quickly if you suggest an amount. I could go on......but I won't.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 10:28 AM
This thread is stressing me out, as well. I haven't posted since the first page.
It's driving me crazy because despite many good ideas suggested, still NOBODY knows the budget. DeLong, I think your time was wasted. I will be utterly surprised if the homeowner would spend even $1500. Not to be arrogant or high-minded, but this is a pretty inexpensive home. Sure, it's home to these folks and that means everything. But if you look at the pictures, you'll see that the lawn is in rough shape; there is the black plastic tile left lying beside the house; there are the two unkempt bushes in front. These are not signs of someone who wants to put money into landscaping Iif they have it.)
Before spending any time planning a nice landscape job, even a simple one,
the OP should throw some figures to the homeowner. "What do you have mind, XX dollars or XXX dollars.?" Usually, clients won't volunteer a dollar amount but will react very quickly if you suggest an amount. I could go on......but I won't.

It honestly was no big deal to give him some ideas. Im 18 and i started designing very young so its easy for me to in-vision. I dont mind helping people my age out, it took 5 minutes to draw all over with some designs and trees and shrubs.

Basically educating the kid that landscaping isnt cheap, and even a small design takes time to produce. I was thinking that the homeowner prob would think 8 yards of mulch alone is too expensive.

If he wanted to do it right, he would have hired a local landscape contractor. But i dont mind helping people out, especially when i couldnt sleep at all, and never actually went to bed.

The first thing i do when i talk to a potential design customer is ask, what do you want to accomplish with your landscape(beauty or practicality/use, and their budget. Then i give them options on what they can do to manage their budget and to squeeze a little more out of them

MarkintheGarden
03-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Do not get stressed out guys! This is just part of the learning process.

Good point about the budget. I always deal with that by emphasizing the value of a good design. I tell my customers that if they spend some money on a good design, they can execute the design over time. This is how we enhance the value of the property. If you just plant whatever, then you just create more work to do and the result is a liability and not an asset.

DiLong, I like your ideas! I am concerned that the property might have full sun exposure and perhaps too much for the impatien. Perhaps begonia would be a better choice.

I certainly understand that we all start somewhere. I just think that this thread makes a good case in point for the value of education.

If you want to learn landscape design, then there is no alternative to professional instruction. If you do not want to learn landscape design, then do not pretend it can be done properly without the benefit of training and experience.

But whatever you do, do not get stressed out, just accept that you cannot fake expertise.

Harrington Landscape
03-16-2011, 11:42 AM
you can pay me to come down and build a nice design for you I need a vacation. You should do a little more homework before you start our of you element. Find out what the customer is looking for what type of plants she likes the walk way needs to go I agree a nice s paver walk way would look great.

gunsnroses
03-16-2011, 12:51 PM
MX...you better get this job or we will all take turns kicking you in the huevos.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the advice. Were not really looking to make a walkway or anything. Either use the stones that are there and redo the pathway or eliminate the stones all together.

That the thing he is not looking to spend tons of money. I know the homeowner and he just wanted me to design something up for him. Were not looking to make a show stopping landscape design just a simple flowerbed with a few plants and flowers. I know how to do the mulching and the bed edging. I just wanted ideas on what kind of plants to plant. He wants something that is going to be low maintenance. He wants me to come up with the design as he is too busy to do it himself.

So forget the planting right now. How would you guys do the beds? Like how would you design the bed? Like how far out would you come? Would you make the bed a straight line all the way across the house or a straight line to the left of the steps and than to the right curve the bed out in front of the pathway to the driveway?

Honestly?

Not to be rude, but if you think that is a show stopping landscape you are terribly mistaken, that drawing too 5 minutes. I used on ground cover, two types of color, two small ornamental trees, and boxwood or evergreen shrubs, Also, about the walkway, all i did was reshape the walkway WITH THE STONES THERE and put an edging of pea gravel alone the sides.

I honestly was trying to help, but if this is too much, then you are completely out of your element. I mean, come on. No plants at all are going to look better than one or two here and there. I gave you a mulch bed design. I, in detail drew right on your pictures and showed you how far to come out to make it look like an actual landscape.

Answer me this? What is a lot of money on a landscape? Right now he could spend 500 dollars fixing his lawn. Another 500 on just mulch installation and another 100 on bed shaping. What the hell is his budget? What the point of even doing anything?

this is so god damn frustrating its ridiculous, it sounds like his budget is 150 dollars and he wants plants, mulched beds around his whole house, and bed edging?

It actually is starting to really tic me off the way this thread has turned from constructive criticism, to WRITTEN IDEAS, to .....uhhhh,he just wants to clean it up and have a few plants....dur ta dur.......

I honestly would get off lawnsite. Go walk around a couple neighborhoods and go see how people do it. You obviously arent taking any advice from anyone on here.

good luck

starry night
03-16-2011, 01:53 PM
Why would we be surprised? It's not the fault of the OP. I sensed from the start by what the OP said and by the appearance of the property that all the homeowner wanted was, in effect, a couple spireas and some coreopsis across the porch. There needed to be room for the bike and balls.

That's what "stressed" me about the thread........everyone was making it more than what it was.

Mxrider52
03-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Hey Dlong, I appreciate the drawing. That is kind of what I had in mind except not bringing the left bed out as far. But I do like it. I was not thinking that many plants on the right side but I guess it could work. I will show him that idea and see what he thinks about that and like someone else said the Impatiens will have way too much sun so the Begonias would be a better plant for the area.

I know it is going to cost alot but he is just going to have to accept the fact that you have to spend money to make things look better. I was easily expecting about $1000 for the project seeing as there is not previous landscaping. He never told me what he wants to spend. But I am just going to throw him that design and figure out the pricing to do and it see what he says than. He will probably flip. I am going to see if I can get my landscape buddy to help me out some.

I am sorry to stress everyone out over this. I was just looking for some simple help. Like someone else said I think everyone is trying to over think this.

White Gardens
03-16-2011, 03:11 PM
oing to see if I can get my landscape buddy to help me out some.

I was just looking for some simple help. Like someone else said I think everyone is trying to over think this.

You can never over-think a good landscape........

kgserv
03-16-2011, 08:31 PM
see if you can do a nice paver walkway this year then next year do the plants he might have save enough up by then. ps guys im a 10 yr landcaper with a hort degree and my house has no plants am i a bad man

MarkintheGarden
03-17-2011, 01:55 AM
ps guys im a 10 yr landcaper with a hort degree and my house has no plants am i a bad man

Maybe not a bad man, but really, not one lousy tulip? That is just wrong on so many levels.;)

kgserv
03-17-2011, 08:47 AM
ok ill set out some planters,, i just got done building it and the garage just got cement maybe ill try more this year. the only reason we have grass now is my wife chewed me out and i had sod left over