PDA

View Full Version : How to bid on an account you haven't seen?

RR's Lawn Service
03-07-2011, 02:07 PM
I received a phone about bidding on some accounts for a company. The problem is that I don't have time to see all the properties in time. I have the square footage and the list of work that needs to be done. It is pretty much just mowing, trimming, edging where needed, and blowing off the walks. Is there a way to bid by the square footage and what's a round about number to start at? Thanks in advanced.

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
03-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Seems kind of risky.

If you know how much you would charge for a certain amount of square feet you can divide that into the info that you have.
Posted via Mobile Device

highlander316
03-07-2011, 04:13 PM
use Google Earth so you can get a rough view of the place.

silverwoolley
03-07-2011, 06:42 PM
use Google Earth so you can get a rough view of the place.

I would take this route and then bid a little high so you dont have any regrets.

Florida Gardener
03-07-2011, 07:05 PM
I NEVER bid on something I haven't seen and when they say oh well it's your typical lot that is a big red flag.
Posted via Mobile Device

thomp33
03-07-2011, 07:44 PM
What are you bidding per square foot? Are you including mulch, straw, fertilizer? Or do you charge per man hour? Using Google Earth does work well, but you need to choose a format for how you charge.

gene gls
03-07-2011, 08:49 PM
I NEVER bid on something I haven't seen and when they say oh well it's your typical lot that is a big red flag.
Posted via Mobile Device

For sure X2..........

KrayzKajun
03-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

bingo!!! :clapping:

billslawn89
03-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

BINGO # 2 Never bid a property without walking it first.

BrunoT
03-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Imagine you're an established, professional, knowledgeable LCO. You've walked the properties, met with the owner, presented your case, and calculated a fair price using your years of knowledge on how long the job takes and proper knowledge of your costs and other inputs. You spend valuable time submitting a bid that is on the low side but you know the economy is bad and want the business so you're willing to be somewhat flexible on your price.

Well, you never even hear back, because some new guy with little understanding of how to price the job, who has only the vaguest idea of how long the job will take, who never even saw the property, underbid you by 40% because someone on the internet told him to price it from space.

Keep encouraging this sort of buffoonery. Eventually it'll be one of your bids that gets screwed up.

BINKY1902
03-07-2011, 09:31 PM
I agree, if you don't have time to look at it don't bid it.

highlander316
03-07-2011, 09:34 PM
BrunoT, incase you are referring to me, no where did I say use Google Earth to give a price. I said use it to get a rough VIEW so that he could at least have SOME idea of what he is looking at. If he already has the the sq/ft (and hopefully he knows his production numbers for edging/trimming/mowing square footage), he might have a ROUGH idea where his range could be. I would never give a price just using Google Earth. That's ridiculous. But it can help him if he wants to see what the place looks like.

kilgoja
03-07-2011, 09:45 PM
why don't you have time to look at it?...how far away is it?...you could go look at them right now...a company with accounts?..how many accounts?...are they all the layed out the same?...are they all different?

RR's Lawn Service
03-07-2011, 10:10 PM
I received a phone call and I just don't have to time to go see all of them. I went and looked at two and I'm told that all the lots are very similar. I would never give a price that was really low and low ball someone out of a job. That is not my style and I wouldn't want that done to me. I know what I think is a fair price and was wondering if anyone on the site has ever "bid blind" on anything. There is no mulching or trimming shrubs, just mowing the grass.

I do like the google earth idea though. If I can't tell by google earth, I won't bid on it.

kilgoja
03-07-2011, 10:43 PM
well if you've seen 2 of them and the others are similar then you know what you are bidding on...just bid and if it turns out a disaster then just back out of the deal...or are you locked into it somehow with a contract?...just don't sign the contract until after you've seen every property or worked on all of them

Glenn Lawn Care
03-08-2011, 12:24 AM
I would use google maps....

RR's Lawn Service
03-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks for all the help and opinions guys. Wish you all the best this year.