PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Super Z PTO clutch

duraleigh
03-07-2011, 03:57 PM
The clutch engages fine when mower is first started up. After running for an hour or so and warming up, clutch will not re-engage if you release it.

1. Local maintenance shop says almost surely the clutch is going bad and should be replaced. Does that sound reasonable? (It does to me, but I've never had one go out before and am not sure why it won't re-engage because of being warmed up)

2. Is that an easy DIY job or a little difficult for someone with very average mechanical skills and facilities?

rwaters
03-07-2011, 04:10 PM
The clutch engages fine when mower is first started up. After running for an hour or so and warming up, clutch will not re-engage if you release it.

1. Local maintenance shop says almost surely the clutch is going bad and should be replaced. Does that sound reasonable? (It does to me, but I've never had one go out before and am not sure why it won't re-engage because of being warmed up)

2. Is that an easy DIY job or a little difficult for someone with very average mechanical skills and facilities?

I would agree with the shop as that is most likely your problem. Yes you can replace the clutch if you have a torq wrench without much problem. it is removing a bolt replacing the clutch and putting the bolt back in, then putting the belt back on.

Mickhippy
03-07-2011, 04:34 PM
I would firstly replace the fuse and check the switch for dirt, maybe even try and new switch. Then I would check the lead/wires that runs to the clutch for cracks. These are all quick, cheap and easy checks!

StanWilhite
03-07-2011, 06:43 PM
I would firstly replace the fuse and check the switch for dirt, maybe even try and new switch. Then I would check the lead/wires that runs to the clutch for cracks. These are all quick, cheap and easy checks!

I agree.

When it's warmed up and the PTO won't engage, you can run a "jumper" wire straight from the battery (or any 12 source on the mower) straight to the PTO and see if it will engage then. If it does engage, you have a bad fuse, wire, switch, or bad connection somewhere. You can then start looking at each individual component (ie: fuse, wires, switch, connections).

You can use a "jumper wire" to jump across the switch to see if that's the problem.

I'm sure you know this, but do all of your checking without the engine running (you'll have to have the ignition switch on to check certain things like checking to see if the PTO will engage without a "jumper" wire). You don't want your hands around the PTO and belts when the engine is running. It can ruin your day in a hurry!

Good luck, Stan

HenryB
03-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Contact Hustler this is a common problem they have with the Super Z?

ArTurf
03-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Do an internet search on checking Warner clutches or whatever brand you have before replacing the expensive clutch. I was having trouble with mine and tried everything. Finally I tried the relays that are located under the dash panel. I bought one for about $5 and switched out each one. On the second try I found the bad one.

There is also a pigtail that connects to the clutch about 6 inches long that has a diode in it. It goes for about $12.

I would try these cheaper things before dropping big money on the clutch.

rwaters
03-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Do an internet search on checking Warner clutches or whatever brand you have before replacing the expensive clutch. I was having trouble with mine and tried everything. Finally I tried the relays that are located under the dash panel. I bought one for about $5 and switched out each one. On the second try I found the bad one.

There is also a pigtail that connects to the clutch about 6 inches long that has a diode in it. It goes for about $12.

I would try these cheaper things before dropping big money on the clutch.

you check the clutch by measuring the resistance across it. Switches tend not to be regular in problems they would be total hit or miss. The diode is most always also a hit or miss or total failure. Heat in my experience is always the clutch.

ncknaklawns
03-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Last fall while vacumming up huge leaf piles I came back from dumping a load and saw shiny metal disc laying in the lawn. I thought jeez I'm glad I didn't run over that with the blades moving. Stopped to pick it up and it was warm, ut oh. Clutch was in three pieces, Luckily the spacer and key didn't fall out. Ordered new one $250 put in , cake. Just not sure the best way to block crank shaft. Any suggestions? Lasted 950hrs, 3 yrs. I shouldn't have bogged it down so much with thick wet leaves. Next year will pick up half first.

milo
03-08-2011, 04:13 PM
if it works when not hot its the clutch. when they heat up and dont turn on they are going out you need to replace the clutch and it takes like 10 minutes to do. if you let sit for like 30 min after using it and it works again its for sure the clutch....

duraleigh
03-08-2011, 05:00 PM
First, I am very appreciative of all the replies....Thank You! I think Milo may have helped me narrow it down to the clutch because I forgot to mention that after it warms up and will not engage, I can let it sit (and cool down) for about an hour and it will re-engage.

HenryB
03-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Check the other stuff I had the same machine same problems. After 3 clutches I replaced the pigtails and diode. Call or email Hustler.

Mickhippy
03-08-2011, 05:27 PM
I agree, check other stuff first. It cant hurt and may save you a few dollars.

BrunoT
03-08-2011, 05:38 PM
I've learned from recent and past experience that this sort of thing can be a lot besides just the clutch. Safety switches, PTO switch, wires, etc, etc, it all has to work right for them to engage.

It is true, however, that resistance is affected by heat. At some point I suppose it could cause it not to magnetically engage when hot.

I had a clutch engagement issue turn out to be a broken wire near the switch that was not visable due to the tight quarters. It broke AFTER it'd gone out with a fuse blown just before that, so it sort of hid the problem by having me thinking other things.

I've had a clutch engagement issue turn out to be a fuse that looked seated but wasn't fully seated due to grime after being checked and it would cause the PTO to randomly just not engage. It would engage 10 times in a row, then refuse to, then engage again eventually.

I believe you can check your clutch itself by simply applying a seperate 12v source to it when it's hot. If it engages nicely then, it might well be something further up in the circuit. You can also check the resistance on its wires and see if that's within spec (which I do not know the number for)

Finally, some clutches are adjustable for gap, so if yours is maybe it just needs to have the gap adjusted.

I've never done it but I do believe you might have to remove a pulley wheel from the shaft to get the clutch off. Not sure how Hustlers are designed. If you can do that I would say it's definitely a DIY thing.

Also, I'm sure buying a clutch online from a reputable seller would be less than the markup a dealer would have on the same part. Shop around, they do vary a good bit. Get the part number from your manual's parts list and google that. That plus the labor might save you $150 or more.

StihlMechanic
03-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Quick test of the clutch.
Take a volt-ohm meter and check the ohms of the two wires from the clutch. If its around 1.2 ohms or below, safe to say the clutch is bad. A good clutch can be 2-4 ohms, depending on the diameter of the plates. If good, I would check the pto relay, its just a cheap 12v relay and about $5-15 bucks at an auto parts store. good luck.

rwaters
03-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Quick test of the clutch.
Take a volt-ohm meter and check the ohms of the two wires from the clutch. If its around 1.2 ohms or below, safe to say the clutch is bad. A good clutch can be 2-4 ohms, depending on the diameter of the plates. If good, I would check the pto relay, its just a cheap 12v relay and about $5-15 bucks at an auto parts store. good luck.

Our auto parts store is $15 support your local dealer buy it at the dealer for $12

rwaters
03-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Also, I'm sure buying a clutch online from a reputable seller would be less than the markup a dealer would have on the same part. Shop around, they do vary a good bit. Get the part number from your manual's parts list and google that. That plus the labor might save you $150 or more.

The Hustler PTO Clutch for the Super Z is not adjustable here is a picture and part numbers.

Hustler 601311 Warner 5218-222 (http://www.alloutdoorparts.com/33-155.html)

It is not cheap.

d6dozerlgp
03-12-2011, 12:32 AM
I have ran Hustler Super Zs for over 5 years, very dependable and best mower on the market in my opinion . I have come across this problem and for me it was the clutch pto wiring harness. It will rub on the frame and split or the ends will melt out of the plastic pigtail causing it not to function after the machine warms up. Try changing the harness its about $15 to $20 dollars. I hope this solves your problem.