PDA

View Full Version : Threat of Drought!

GrassesGuy
03-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Been pretty rainy the last few seasons where I am. What about everyone else? You remember the last drought or in one now? Please share any thoughts and what it did to you.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Have to get rid of the snow first to see if there will be a drought:)

But in all reality, what is the worse case scenario for a mow guy. Late spring/snow out, followed by below avg temps in spring and below avg precip. Drought in the summer. Early freeze up in the fall. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Jimslawncareservice
03-07-2011, 06:17 PM
i heard reports that mn is going to be hotter than normal. also heard it may be wetter than normal too

1MajorTom
03-07-2011, 06:42 PM
The best thing to do is leave nothing on the table april, may, and june. Being in a weather related business, it's an absolute must to go at it full speed ahead for the first 3 months, no slacking at all.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-07-2011, 07:47 PM
The best thing to do is leave nothing on the table april, may, and june. Being in a weather related business, it's an absolute must to go at it full speed ahead for the first 3 months, no slacking at all.

You know there are truth to these words. Go like crazy first 3 months of season. Cause July, Aug and be tough months to deal with.

djagusch
03-07-2011, 07:54 PM
i heard reports that mn is going to be hotter than normal. also heard it may be wetter than normal too

Yes, the weatherman really has a clue what will happen this summer. Remember a week ago the cities was going to get 12 to 20"s Wednesday now its 2 to 4"s. Yep they have a clue where the weather will be. Sounds like you will get it good now though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
03-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Not a worry in Florida. If we aren't getting a downpour the sprinkler system creates one!
Posted via Mobile Device

ncknaklawns
03-08-2011, 02:44 AM
I hate doing my cleanups in August. Maybe this year I will be ahead of the game.

greendoctor
03-08-2011, 03:21 AM
Not a worry in Florida. If we aren't getting a downpour the sprinkler system creates one!
Posted via Mobile Device

In my area, typical rainfall is about 15" or less of rain per year. If it gets less than that and stays that way for more than a year, then there are problems. BWS sets monthly usage limits that are way more severe than mandating every other day watering. I lived through that in the 1980s and again in the 1990's. This year is the first year in my adult life where I am seeing weekly rains at this time of the year. Some landscapes cannot be maintained on water rationing. The other way it affects me is no rain no weeds. The areas I maintain as bare ground will not need treatment if it does not rain for months on end.

Florida Gardener
03-08-2011, 06:44 AM
Green we are on 2x/week watering here. Like you, I control the system at the clients home. There are some subdivisions where one big irrigation company has all the control and irrigation is set to come on 3x/week no matter what. Makes for fungus issues all summer long given our normal rainfall. It also never surprised me how ignorant a homeowner is with irrigation either. 3-4 times a week is not uncommon to see on a system the homeowner has been messing with.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
03-08-2011, 07:13 AM
The National Intergrated Drought Information System is not predicting a drought in Nebraska for at least the next 3 months. We seem to stay in drought conditions where I am. You can see some of thier stuff at http://www.drought.gov/portal/server.pt/community/forecasting

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/season_drought.gif

greendoctor
03-08-2011, 07:16 AM
I normally deal with drought. Drives me nuts when a system is short cycled or set to come on 2x per day or at night. The short cycling will dry out and kill a landscape because it falls short of the 1" per week. 2x per day or at night begs for diseases to wipe out a lawn. All of the auto systems I maintain eventually go on rain sensors. This cuts out another problem: under usual circumstances "rain" only adds up to about a 1/10" of an inch. There are people that would shut off their systems for days if not weeks because of that "rain". I do not want to give these people an excuse to touch their controller. I have come back in a week to dried out and dying landscapes because of this.

Baytownlawncare
03-08-2011, 08:15 AM
I read an article yesterday about aquifers drying up in the Texas panhandle and the threat of a new "dust bowl" People have gotten to rely on "artificial water" for so long that it is drying up. There are many plans to build more dams and start pumping water from east Texas to central Texas to keep the hill country irrigated. Got to let these sources recharge and not over use them. As far as southeast texas. We are like most of the gulf coast, afternoon showers often come of the gulf and rain sometimes a tenth of and inch, sometimes and inch. Then there is tropical stuff like hurricanes. We seem to get enough rain. I have been told we are in a moderate drought now. Best of luck with rain for everyone so you can mow!

Charles
03-08-2011, 08:24 AM
I used to look at long range forecast but they are pretty much worthless. They do nothing but worry you. The forecast here was for a warmer and drier winter. Instead, we got plenty of rain, snow and below normal temps:rolleyes: Too many factors and combination of factors can change the long term weather. They can't even forecast accurately 10 days out most of the time. Constantly updating and tweaking.

jkingrph
03-08-2011, 07:43 PM
I read an article yesterday about aquifers drying up in the Texas panhandle and the threat of a new "dust bowl" People have gotten to rely on "artificial water" for so long that it is drying up. There are many plans to build more dams and start pumping water from east Texas to central Texas to keep the hill country irrigated. Got to let these sources recharge and not over use them. As far as southeast texas. We are like most of the gulf coast, afternoon showers often come of the gulf and rain sometimes a tenth of and inch, sometimes and inch. Then there is tropical stuff like hurricanes. We seem to get enough rain. I have been told we are in a moderate drought now. Best of luck with rain for everyone so you can mow!

I live in East Texas and it seems as most of the resevior development is being done by Dallas, They have to keep their lawns and golf courses green and swimming pools filled.

Our area just won a suit in fed court preventing another resevior , just south of Lake Palestine. Fortunately it was declared a wildlife management area. We have fewer and fewer bottomlands when they dam up the little rivers and make lakes

When we moved here in 1979 there were plans for one just east of us, and plans are still moving along although no land purchases or work has begun, thats 32 years and no work.

GrassesGuy
03-09-2011, 10:11 AM

Exactly partner!

Kelly's Landscaping
03-09-2011, 10:54 AM
All it takes is a tropical storm or 2 and you make up your rain fall in a few days up here. But we had 3 mini droughts here last cutting season 2-3 weeks periods of now rain with high temps (at least for us) and it hurt cost us easily 10k in lost lawn cut revenue. Just grin and bare it that's the game we play late springs early winters drought summers sometimes you get all 3 in a year.

Charles
03-09-2011, 11:10 AM
The best think to do is plan for the worst and hope for the best as the old saying goes. I do this every year. Droughts, losing customers, equipment breaking down, health problems etc, are all possibilities every year.