PDA

View Full Version : No more cutting wet grass!

gobblet
03-07-2011, 04:19 PM
I mostly work alone, except when it comes to other things besides grass cutting. I really think I am going to start around 10am for grass cutting. I just keep making more work for myself when I start cutting at 8am. Now with fuel prices (?) it's just stinks when all customers are fertilized. So I will work till 6pm or past. Who else starts late cause it make your job easier not cause your not a morning person?

grassman177
03-07-2011, 06:05 PM
i used to do the same thing when i was starting out. it is not a bad practice of saving time and headache when you dont have anyone to help out.

we try to not mow too wet of grass.

elitelawnteam1
03-07-2011, 06:44 PM
"Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise" - Ben Franklin

All kidding aside, I don't even think it's physically possible for me so sleep in 'till 10
I agree w/ grassman, things unexpectedly pop up during the day, I start at 8:30 sharp during the summer, and I get done without having to try to beat the dusk. That way if something breaks down or someone walks up to me and gives me extra work, i'm prepared to handle it without having it throw off the rest of my workday

MOturkey
03-07-2011, 06:49 PM
There were days I didn't get started as early as I should have, but I basically do the same thing. I try to time it where the first lawn I mow is starting to dry out, and try to start with ones that dry more quickly, like ones with little shade or thinner turf.

soloscaperman
03-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Same here. My fertilized lawns at 8AM mixed with a trivantage deck makes me go crazy. With a shallow deck with too much HP will cake up any deck. I wait till 9 or 10.

Exact Rototilling
03-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Yes 9:30 is about as early I can mow and I have a Quick 36 with the Ultra Hi lift blades and I have to bag most properties. What I noticed last fall is lawns really didn't seem to dry out enough ever for the best possible cut as the days got progressively shorter.

TuffWork
03-07-2011, 07:07 PM
We start at 9. Last year we started at 9:30 but we didn't have as much work as we will this year. The year before that I think I started around 10 or 11.

I usually get up around 8am and get my little boy ready and get him off to his mothers house or a sitter. My help meets me here at 9 and we load the truck. We are at the first property before 930. If it's super wet then I'll wait. General rule is if there is moisture on the sidewalks I won't mow.

fireman gus
03-07-2011, 08:48 PM
We normally try to be on our first residential property by 745am. Commercial property we start by 5am or earlier. We would never get done with our work if we started much later.

kilgoja
03-07-2011, 11:18 PM
yeah i hear all these people starting at 6am or whatever lol...i would never do that...the grass isn't fully dry here until 10am sometimes...i'm not a morning person either...it stays daylight here until 9pm during the summer so it's not an issue...i try to leave the house by 9:30am...wake up around 8:30am...but i'm a small one man operation...i only cut 5-6 yards a day at max

american dream
03-08-2011, 12:21 AM
We normally try to be on our first residential property by 745am. Commercial property we start by 5am or earlier. We would never get done with our work if we started much later.

bet that makes for a happy customer!

kilgoja
03-08-2011, 12:24 AM
that's weird...you made the same post as the other guy...maybe you are the other guy lol

cutting wet grass means clumps in the yard which is not what the customer wants and it makes grass stick to the mower deck as well...cut it when it's dry...that's the best way :)...if you have that many customers you need to hire more help lol

ncknaklawns
03-08-2011, 01:04 AM
I was starting at like 10am work til 7 or 8 even 9 when its light out. If I start ealier I could probably add more accounts- sounds good - then I can buy more equipment.
ON wet days do thin lawns first try making adjustments.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
03-08-2011, 08:36 AM
If I waited until the grass started to dry here, there would be many days you couldn't start until noon or later. I can remember at least 5 days last year the grass stayed wet all day! Wet grass sucks, but its not that bad. as for clumps and grass under decks, adds some time until things are dry. When I'm done, wet lawns look just as professionally done as dry lawns.

Swampy
03-08-2011, 09:28 AM
1. Start early to beat afternoon heat.
2. Start early finish early, enjoy the rest of the day. I couldn't imagine going home when its dark in spring and fall. Its just to depressing.
3. Any problems that can occur can be dealt with as there is no rush to get to a dealer for a broken deck belt. Remember they have set hours and its a ghost town when 4pm comes around.

hackitdown
03-08-2011, 09:31 AM
We roll at 8AM. I try to schedule the thick wet lawns for late in the day.

ncknaklawns
03-08-2011, 09:33 AM
I bag everything - always looks good - minimal cost overall, just like mower gas.

fireman9
03-08-2011, 11:32 AM
I start around 8:30 checking everything over, sharpen blades if needed, fill all the tanks with gas, check the oil on everything, fill the trimmer spool if needed, load up the cooler, clean out the truck, etc. I'm usually at my first account around 9:45 to 10 am. I love to work in the late afternoon and watch the sun set while driving home, then its off to the shower and a nice soak in the hot tub watching the stars come out.

TMlawncare
03-08-2011, 11:45 AM
I get to the shop a 7a.m. every morning. Everyone leaves the shop at 8:30a.m. to start the routes. The grass in my area is always wet until 10:30-11a.m. We mow restuarants first thing in the morning. They have to be done by 10:30 to beet the lunch crowd. Sometimes you just can't wait half the day to work. When mowing in the wet morning conditions we know there will be extra work required. Many times we have to bag, scape the decks, double cut, what ever it takes to make sure those morning accounts are tended to and measure up to our quality standards. To my crew and I its just part of the job.

BrunoT
03-08-2011, 05:51 PM
It's just common sense, but try to schedule non-mowing work or slow growing lawns for your first stop. Even if you lose a few minutes drive time on a less efficient route it beats doing twice the work for the same price.

If everything there truely is fast growing and lush, that's part of the business. Charge accordingly if it requires a second pass to disperse or even bag up clumps.

Lots of fortunes have been made on paper mowing lawns at 10mph where the grass just disperses beautifully. In reality they rarely go that easily most of the time. I have had lawns that took 30 minutes double when conditions were bad. Your rate should be based on the average, not your best possible time.

kilgoja
03-08-2011, 06:01 PM
grass dries pretty fast here when it's 100 degrees in july and august lol

1MajorTom
03-08-2011, 06:18 PM
that's weird...you made the same post as the other guy...maybe you are the other guy lol

the second guy was quoting the first guy, then he added his comment after the quote.

kilgoja
03-08-2011, 06:20 PM
oh lol...i guess he didn't hit the quote button and just typed it out rofl