PDA

View Full Version : another question for walker guys!!

strickdad
09-17-2002, 01:42 AM
i have a customer that we have on a fertilizer program, and i put a application out in july (granular) i went back in about a week later and couldnt find but a small trace of fert. (much less than when i had applied it) the yard had been freshly mowed with his new "walker" mower. it hadnt rained so i know it hadnt absorbed that quickly. can or will these mowers pick up fert. off the ground? by the way it looks like he is mowing at 2.5 to 3 inches.

MOW ED
09-17-2002, 06:58 AM
That depends on a few things. If the lawn is healthy and the fert is getting to the soil line then it isn't gonna be much of a problem. It also helps to use a commercial grade fertilizer that is medium.

If the lawn has a lot of thatch and the fertilizer sits on the blades and the matting, it is possible to vacuum up some product.

A healthy lawn at 3 inches should not give up any fertilizer to the hopper.

Thats been my experience.

strickdad
09-17-2002, 01:49 PM
thanks mow ed, the lawn was a new install back in the spring, so it was kinda thin , but did reach soil line. also the fert was lesco 5-10-31 (which is a medium to coarse grade)

Mike Paulsen
09-17-2002, 02:13 PM
I like to fert. after I mow that way it gives it a week to get water in before mowing again. Yes I think it will such much of the fert. out of the grass. Where I have some yards the road in front of them has been chip coated with gravel and it will pick the loose stuff off of the road. The gravel is alot heavier than the fert.