PDA

View Full Version : Edgers???

derbyd137
03-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Hi all.
I'm am new to the business and I have a question pertaining edgers. I,ve been looking into lawn edging equipment and I'm leaning towards a Stihl stick type edger. As apposed to a small gas engine push type edger. As I said I am new to the business and have always used the push edger for my personal home use. I'm not sure about commercial use though. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Karl from http://www.straightlinelawn.com

elitelawnteam1
03-07-2011, 06:51 PM
I prefer walk behind edgers, mainly because the stick edgers have a hard time cutting the overgrown areas. Don't get me wrong, stick edgers are nice, but only if you plan on edging the properties each week. I've got a McLane, and it's not bad, I use it for maintenance as well as overgrown areas. Also depends on your budget and what you can spend

StihlBR600
03-07-2011, 07:34 PM
I use a stihl stick edger and it does great. I only edge about every 3 to 4 weeks and i can basically run with it. Dont waste your time with a walk behind edger theres no point in getting something that is going to take more gas, space, and time. Just go with a stick edger and you wont regret it

ncknaklawns
03-08-2011, 01:42 AM
My FS110 kombi edger lacks the power through edging properties that are done once every 10 years. The dedicated ones probably have more power.

Merkava_4
03-08-2011, 02:20 AM
I love my McLane edger.

derbyd137
03-08-2011, 08:45 AM
Ok, for now any suggestions on what models and brand name for each type of edger.

ncknaklawns
03-08-2011, 09:31 AM
How often and what are you edging. If you do it every week I use a string trimmer and only use the metal blade occasionally not worth investing dollars. Use thin line and hold perpendiclar to the edge, eye protection a must.

derbyd137
03-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Maybe every other week

derbyd137
03-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Sidewalks and drives

ncknaklawns
03-08-2011, 10:32 AM
I try to minimize time. I use the str=ring trimmer and with the 0.095 x line from HD it looks pretty good for most of my clients. For those "perfect lawns" if it was required to use a metal blade I would have my back-up kombi trimmer ready to go with the edger attachment. (also works as extended reach heger, trimmer, chain saw and others).
A dedicated hand held might be good idea also. My trailer does'nt have room for a powerful walk behind, and I wouldn't buy one but if I already owned one and the trailer was bigger it would be in there for the few demanding never been done jobs.

Big C
03-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Get something that is super high torque like the Redmax 2601S. I love mine and it can cut through almost anything, and doesn't take up the space of a walkbehind edger on your trailer.

ArTurf
03-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Hi all.
I'm am new to the business and I have a question pertaining edgers. I,ve been looking into lawn edging equipment and I'm leaning towards a Stihl stick type edger. As apposed to a small gas engine push type edger. As I said I am new to the business and have always used the push edger for my personal home use. I'm not sure about commercial use though. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Karl from http://www.straightlinelawn.com

I use Stihl trimmers, FS 100R & 100RX . You can buy the edger head and use it on the 100R as needed. This way you do not have to buy the dedicated machine for edging if you do it my way.

Here is how I maintain an edge. At the first of the season I establish it on lawns that need it with the steel blade edger. Then I maintain that edge the rest of the year with my regular string trimmer (100RX) with an Edgit device(see edgit.com). I do not use the steel edger the rest of the year. This will work on properties you maintain on a regular basis. If you go weeks or months then you may have to re-establish with the steel edger for which I would charge extra since it is very time & labor consuming.

I use the trimmer with the edgit for all my trimming. Once you learn how to use it you will not want to be without it IMO.

smz89
03-14-2011, 03:13 PM
I use Stihl trimmers, FS 100R & 100RX . You can buy the edger head and use it on the 100R as needed. This way you do not have to buy the dedicated machine for edging if you do it my way.

Here is how I maintain an edge. At the first of the season I establish it on lawns that need it with the steel blade edger. Then I maintain that edge the rest of the year with my regular string trimmer (100RX) with an Edgit device(see edgit.com). I do not use the steel edger the rest of the year. This will work on properties you maintain on a regular basis. If you go weeks or months then you may have to re-establish with the steel edger for which I would charge extra since it is very time & labor consuming.

I use the trimmer with the edgit for all my trimming. Once you learn how to use it you will not want to be without it IMO.

Have you used the edgit and the edgit PRO? I see you use straight shaft but was curious if you have used both and what the pros and cons may be to each in your opinion.

derbyd137
03-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Wow! I just youtubed the Edgit. " Nice " If that thing really works that good I think I have found my answer. Thanks for the tip on that one! I appreciate all the great tips I'm getting from you lawn pro veterans. Definitely one of the best sites I have joined.

ArTurf
03-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Have you used the edgit and the edgit PRO? I see you use straight shaft but was curious if you have used both and what the pros and cons may be to each in your opinion.

I use the pro model. If you are using a commercial trimmer I would asume it is a straight shaft model and you would use the pro model. The curved shaft model doesn't look like it would do the job, not that you would be using a curved shaft trimmer.

clydebusa
03-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpI love my McLane edger.

derbyd137
03-14-2011, 04:53 PM
I am actually going to buy a new edger. I'm leaning towrd the Stihl FS 100 RX. Looks like that unit will handle all I want to do with it.

StihlBR600
03-14-2011, 05:01 PM
The FS100RX isnt an edger and it cant be turned into one either

kilgoja
03-14-2011, 05:01 PM
alot of people swear by using edgers...you can if you want...but it's not necessary...i only use a trimmer and hold it upside down to do the edging since most yards around here the driveways and such are 2"-3" higher than the grass level so edging isn't required...i do have some that require it though so i use the trimmer method...the very first time you do it it takes more time since you have to cut the trench in the dirt...after that it's a breeze to maintain...here's an example of a yard i did last week

before:

http://i51.tinypic.com/zs7lj.jpg

after:

http://i56.tinypic.com/28b49ac.jpg

all done with this lol:

http://i37.tinypic.com/30xe62o.jpg

derbyd137
03-14-2011, 06:38 PM
You are right it is not an edger. I guess what I was trying to say is that unit retrofitted with the edgit tool that was discussed on this thread would do the job. My Bad :))

scraper1
03-15-2011, 02:41 AM
tanaka tle 650...nice push edger...shaft driven...i like it.

lawnkingforever
03-15-2011, 07:39 AM
A walk behind edger is a nice tool to have. Only you can decide if it is worth buying one and storing it when not in use. It is simply to big and heavy to be an everday tool. With that being said, it comes in very handy at the start of the season to create an initial edge and on long and overgrown edging jobs. My WB edger sees limited use, but I feel it is worth owning one.
I like maintaining my edges with a stick edger. It leaves a cleaner cut. Towards the end of the growing season when edging is not required very often, I will use my trimmer. The main problem I have with using my trimmer is that I find myself going through alot of line.