PDA

View Full Version : what should I charge???

langlo's landscaping
03-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Hey guys im wondering what to charge for some jobs, im in the Geneva IL area.

Muching per yard?
Weeding?
Hourly jobs with one other person?
Hedge trimming?
Minium price per mow including weedwip and blowing the driveway off?

Thanks guys

THEGOLDPRO
03-07-2011, 06:51 PM
so your basically saying you have no idea at all of what to charge in this industry?

StihlBR600
03-07-2011, 07:36 PM
It depends on how much your buying mulch for, what your operating costs are and how much time the job will take you.

Florida Gardener
03-07-2011, 07:38 PM
so your basically saying you have no idea at all of what to charge in this industry?

Hahaha...sorry this is funny
Posted via Mobile Device

langlo's landscaping
03-07-2011, 08:08 PM
I know what I would charge just seeing what other prices are out there in this area, prices are not the same across the US and I just moved into this area. I was looking for someone who was in this general area. If you don't want to help don't bother to comment.

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
03-07-2011, 10:29 PM
I'm sorry but to me it sounds like what the gold pro said you don't know how to price, and now u want somebody from the area to give there price so you can under cut it. so what would you charge

StihlBR600
03-07-2011, 11:02 PM
You shouldnt be asking people what they charge. If you dont know what you should charge in order to make a profit then you have a problem

StihlMechanic
03-07-2011, 11:13 PM
I whip weeds for free, Its cheaper than going to the anger managment classes the judge ordered me to go to.

cooltype
03-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I will tell you what to charge if you come work for me for free for a season.

White Gardens
03-07-2011, 11:31 PM
I know what I would charge just seeing what other prices are out there in this area, prices are not the same across the US and I just moved into this area. I was looking for someone who was in this general area. If you don't want to help don't bother to comment.

If you are in Geneva, the sky's the limit from what I hear services go for up in the Chicago land area.

bonzo1012
03-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Hey guys im wondering what to charge for some jobs, im in the Geneva IL area.

Muching per yard?
Weeding?
Hourly jobs with one other person?
Hedge trimming?
Minium price per mow including weedwip and blowing the driveway off?

Thanks guys

You wanna profit $60-$65 per yard of mulch including edging if not too extensive charge more if it is

Give your self $45/per hour get someone to work for $10/hr and charge $55/per hr
weeding charge $40/hr hedge trimming $45/hr

Never mow a lawn for less than $40 if its really small charge $35. But $40 should be your absolute min. "Oh but my neighbor gets his cut for $30" walk away.

You should be making $45/hr as the owner

clean_cut
03-23-2011, 09:52 PM
You wanna profit $60-$65 per yard of mulch including edging if not too extensive charge more if it is

Give your self $45/per hour get someone to work for $10/hr and charge $55/per hr
weeding charge $40/hr hedge trimming $45/hr

Never mow a lawn for less than $40 if its really small charge $35. But $40 should be your absolute min. "Oh but my neighbor gets his cut for $30" walk away.

You should be making $45/hr as the owner

Not saying your prices are wrong for YOUR area and YOUR properties... but min. of 35-40 per lawn? What if I could get 6 small lawns in a neighborhood and knock them all out in around an hour? Would you still charge 45 per lawn? Just saying...

Also, to the original poster, I can't really help you out because I don't know the market in your area, but if you use the search feature, you can find tons of great info on this site :)

STIHL GUY
03-24-2011, 10:45 AM
you should charge what you need to cover your operating costs and make some profit. it doesnt matter what other people are charging it all depends on the kind of busisness you run

flyingdutch16
03-27-2011, 09:10 AM
What i did last season was, just walk up to a lawn service crew while there working and ask them how much would i cost if you cut my lawn. They told it would cost 65 or 75 dont remember which one. So i decided to cut for 35 since i dindt have a profesional mower that was the most fair to me. Remember not to to low with your price or else you wont make any money

LoweJ82
03-27-2011, 10:54 AM
chicago land.... Ive heard that all forms of work run more $$ up there, A better way to ask for advice would of been to show what your charging asking if its off or to ask "How to charge" rather than "what to charge"

Get Some...
03-29-2011, 12:26 AM
I would agree with the $45.00 per hour as a general rule to start from....as you get into it you can see what the market will bear and how long thing's take. Keep track of the daily,weekly, monthly fixed expenses/daily non productive travel time....break them down to an houly cost of doing buisneess...add that on to what you want to make an hour....

Just remember that if you bid the job low and it dawn's on you 1/3 of the way into the work that it is going to take longer, therefore lowering you hourly wage......the most important thing is doing the work you contracted to do.....and doing the best job you can.

You can alway's get better at estimating, you cannot however shortchange folk's and establish a good buisness.

It's your job to make the customer happy with a good looking job, just as it is your job to make yourself happy with competant estimates.

Best to walk away proud of the work you have done, and chalk a few extra hour's up to experiance and move on.

I would think if you are getting 50-60% of what you bid, your pricing is competative. Provided you present yourself as a competent and buisnesslike person to your customer's.

Good luck with it all.....

StihlMechanic
03-29-2011, 12:50 AM
I try to base my pricing at $1 per min. or $60 per hour as a solo operation.

t.land
03-18-2012, 11:00 AM
I have worked for several landscape companies in that area, and I do most of my work in Batavia and Geneva. I myself have run my own operation for 7 years now and will tell you that prices are all over the map. Like previous posts have said it all depends on your cost of operation and ultimately what you would like to make at the end of the day. Another issue that hasn't been mentioned yet is amount of hedge trimming, mulch, etc. at each one of these jobs. You will have to determine where your price breaks are, i.e. cost of material and installation of 10 cyd of mulch vs 15 or 20 yds. There is a good amount of work around here, but probably 10x the competition of anywhere else (and pricing jobs so low it seems like theyre losing money). Also, it all depends on where you're going to get your mulch from, there are a lot of places around here and they charge VERY different amounts for the same material. I can tell you bed edging ranges from $0.50-$1.10/lf, with the lower amounts being for high volume jobs and higher amounts typically being for new bed construction. Let me know if you have any more local questions.