PDA

View Full Version : Mid Atlantic area...seed germination window of opportunity???

GarPA
09-17-2002, 05:52 AM
In general, what date on the calendar have you found that grass seed will not germinate beyond ...I realize it depends on fall weather ...if germination takes 10 to 14 days I'm thinking early October is about the end of the line for putting down new seed?? and maybe thats even too late...reason I'm asking is I have a bunch of renovations to do and I'm not going to get them all done b4 mid October...thanks for your opinion.

Green Pastures
09-17-2002, 02:32 PM
I'm in south eastern Virginia, Newport News to be exact. Now through 1st week in Oct. is the time for us. I'd say if you're in Pa. you'd better get busy. :D

Scott

wojo23323
09-17-2002, 06:43 PM
i seed normally between sept 15th and oct15th and i have never had a problem. this year i will be seeding about oct 1st. i'm hoping for more rain. we got 3 1/2" of rain yesterday!!!:D

wrtenterprises
09-17-2002, 07:23 PM
Gary,

You will be safe in our area until October 15th. After that, let the customer know that you run a fair chance of the project not turning out well.

I have done many lawns and overseeding projects in the first week of October that have turned out great. As long as they water, the soil temperatures here in central Pa. are warm enough for good germination.

HBFOXJr
09-17-2002, 07:48 PM
I'm close to Philadelphia and I prefer to be before Oct 15th but have done work tillNov 1 and had good germionation but not much growth. Still better than aspring job in my opinion and will look good next year.

Last year it was warm enough here and we had a little moisture so even Nov grass germinated.

I start as close to Aug 20 as the consumer will allow. Their idea of fall seeding is Oct 15 to Thanksgiving. EAch year I have sprinkler winterizations held up in Nov because "I just had my lawn seeded."