PDA

View Full Version : Best sulky for a beginner

bigorange03
03-07-2011, 09:22 PM
I am getting ready to purchase my first walk behind. I have not ran them much so i am wondering what is the best sulky for a beginner to start out with? I have ran one once with a sulky but it seemed to want to move arround alot, are they all like this or is it something you get used to? I have herd verry good things about the pro slide but i dont know if i want to spend that much money on one right now. It will be going on an 04 John Deere 48" hydro. So some of you Deere guys might know what works best on those mowers.

nobagger
03-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Get a Proslide. You kill two birds with one stone, a built in stripe kit and a "sulky" that won't twist, turn or rotate on ya when you don't want it to.

kilgoja
03-07-2011, 10:52 PM
if you are gonna use a sulky i think it would be better to just get a stander or have you already bought the walkbehind?

93Chevy
03-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Get a Proslide. You kill two birds with one stone, a built in stripe kit and a "sulky" that won't twist, turn or rotate on ya when you don't want it to.

From what I understand, you can't run a proslide on asphalt which is a major buzz kill because I tend to go faster on pavement than when I'm mowing.

But I might be wrong.

knox gsl
03-07-2011, 11:03 PM
http://www.junglejimsap.com/jwheelSS.html This will link you to the one like mine. I've enjoyed it so far and is easy to back up on. Its only downside is that there is 240lbs bouncing on a single little tire and it does rut some. If you get a 2 wheeled one expect there to be more side to side play on uneven ground, but less rutting. The proslide is nice but there is no backing or running on pavement. Its all about what suits you best and remember that good equipment usually cost good money.

bigorange03
03-07-2011, 11:17 PM
if you are gonna use a sulky i think it would be better to just get a stander or have you already bought the walkbehind?

I have already bought the walk behind. A stander is what i really want but money is a factor. I am going to see how this year goes and hopefully next year i can afford the stander. Sounds like the pro slide is the way to go, what is the price on a new one? Someone told me they were arround $500 but i am not sure.

BINKY1902
03-07-2011, 11:35 PM
What kind of properties do you have? Do you do alot of transporting on sidewalks and such? I have a sulky from Havener Enterprises and like it alot, the two wheel model, was about $150. With a sulky you just have to get used to it, it's gonna move around unless you get a swivel caster sulky that stays behind the mower, or a proslide. If you cross alot of sidewalks and driveways on the mower, or have bigger properties that require transporting down asphalt you probably need something with wheels.

Turf Dawg
03-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Not trying to be rude but how much do you weigh? The reason I'm asking is because if you are not very heavy [like my fat arse] with a 48" hydro a sulky with the castor wheels would be the way to go. You can turn, go across hard surfaces and back up without ever getting off of it. It kind of turns your walkbehind into a cheap stand-on.