PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE need quick feedback, getting new mower tomorrow...??

abbzer0
03-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Okay - I know this is last minute, BUT... I am planning to drive 225 miles tomorrow (each way) to get a Land Pride (repainted/branded Hustler Mini Z) zero turn. 52" Deck, and 24HP Honda Engine. It has 223 hours on the clock. A guy got it in trade when his neighbor moved away, and has been one owner this whole time. (He has 2 other zero turns, and doesn't really need the third, so is selling it.) He has agreed to sell it to me for $3,100.

I currently have an Exmark Viking 48" Walkbehind, and am totally fine with it. I always WANTED something faster, but I like walking the few accounts I have for the exercise. I have sever carpel tunnel, and using my hands to grip really aggravates it, so I have decided to get a riding mower instead. (I have used Scag, White, and Exmark riders in the past, FYI...)

I am just looking for some feedback here. It seems like a really good price/value here. Any input on pulling the trigger?

Thanks!!!

kilgoja
03-07-2011, 11:01 PM
repainted? with only 223 hrs on it?...i don't get it..shouldn't be any paint off of it in that short of time

abbzer0
03-07-2011, 11:06 PM
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my description... I meant that the only difference between the "Landpride" mower and a regular "Hustler" apparently is the color of paint they used in manufacturing. The Landpride one is more of a creamy yellow, while the Hustler version is completely Yellow. It has not been RE-painted. Thanks for your quick response though!

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-07-2011, 11:07 PM
its a hustler with land pride paint on it
i understand I cant help you to pull trigger My self I dont buy used stuff

davidcalhoun
03-07-2011, 11:24 PM
It's been quite a few years since Hustler had an agreement to build mowers for LandPride. I would find out what year this one was built. Might affect what you want to pay. One other thing, the deck on this LandPride will be shallower like the older Hustler decks.

Not sure who LandPride used to build their mowers after Hustler pulled out.

kilgoja
03-07-2011, 11:37 PM
oh i'm sorry..i had never heard of landpride before so i didn't get it lol..

abbzer0
03-07-2011, 11:42 PM
I am never TOO worried about low hour, used mowers as long as they are well taken care of. In the $3,100 price range, have you seen anything comparable to this in value? I need to get a rider before the spring cuts start, so I don't hurt my hands. I'm afraid if I don't jump on this now, I might now find another deal. I did find one Scag Tiger Cub with just over 1,000 hours on it for $2,800. But I feel that is over-priced for the amount of hours. ??

Again, thank you all for your input!

Turf Dawg
03-07-2011, 11:50 PM
What year? I'm pretty sure Hustler quit building the Landpride mowers in 05. I did have a 03 Landpride which was a Hustler Fastrac. It was a 52" with the 20 or 24 HP [can't remember] Honda. It was a decent small frame mower. It cut at lower heights great but was not too good at heigher heights. I sold it in 08 to my stepsister and they still use it.

dgfitz
03-07-2011, 11:56 PM
It's been quite a few years since Hustler had an agreement to build mowers for LandPride. I would find out what year this one was built. Might affect what you want to pay. One other thing, the deck on this LandPride will be shallower like the older Hustler decks.

Not sure who LandPride used to build their mowers after Hustler pulled out.

Kubota has a partnership with Landpride now.

abbzer0
03-08-2011, 12:03 AM
The guy's neighbor is the one who got it. He is not 100% sure of the year.. I am thinking (as stated) 03-05. Does anybody know how the cut would be compared to my 48" Exmark walkbehind? The low HP (15) of my Exmark (w/ 15HP Kawa engine) makes it difficult in wet conditions too.. I am hoping the 24HP Honda Engine could make quick work in the thick/wet stuff. If this is not a good buy, I would spend $3,500 on a new(er) model of mower that will do a better job.

abbzer0
03-08-2011, 12:19 AM
Or would paying full price for this be a better deal? (Local within 5 miles....)

http://columbus.craigslist.org/grd/2207199903.html

?? Thanks!

Quality Cuts PLS
03-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Wow!, 450 miles is a long way to drive to save a little money. How much will that cost? What is your time worth? It may be better to spend a little more locally and you may actually come out ahead, all things considered.

abbzer0
03-08-2011, 12:36 AM
yes, and Diesel fuel is at $3.95 per gallon right now!!! What do you think about the local bobcat mower?

KS_Grasscutter
03-08-2011, 12:38 AM
I would get the Bobcat. Have read a lot of good things about them on here, I would probably buy one next time I need a midmount if we had a somewhat local dealer.

abbzer0
03-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Anyone else? I am at the zero hour, getting ready to leave this morning for Kentucky.

davidcalhoun
03-08-2011, 09:02 AM
It's up to you. There will be more mowers advertised within the next month or so, but maybe you need to have the decision over with.

Will the guy at least come down a little to offset your fuel cost?

abbzer0
03-08-2011, 09:10 AM
He wanted $3,200, but would barely budge to $3,100. My wife brought up a good point. $3,100 is not a bad price for this. I'm sure the 24HP Honda is a good engine, and there is apparently a lifetime warranty on the deck. This should be equivalent to a Hustler Mini Z of say, 2005 or so. I think perhaps I will get this now to use this season, then if I find something better, I can always upgrade/change things out next year. I can probably get at least $2,800-$3,000 out of it if I need to resell, so it won't be a huge loss, except for my fuel costs, and about a days worth of driving to get it. Thank you all very much for your feedback, it is most valuable and appreciated. I had better get ready for a long drive today..... :usflag:

abbzer0
03-08-2011, 10:25 PM
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!

Totally worth my trip today. The mower was in even more excellent condition than I had originally anticipated. It looks like it is still almost brand new. The PO had just changed the oil for me as well before I got there. Turns out this is not just the Land Pride ZR52, but the ZRP52, which was built for their commercial applications. The 24HP Honda engine combo was the highest priced, best optioned mower they produced. It is a 2004, and retailed for $8,599. With just over 200 hours, at $3,100, I think I got a GREAT deal! I am very excited to start using this in the upcoming season!! I can upload a pic later, but figured I would clean it up a little bit more first... :clapping:

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
03-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Okay - I know this is last minute, BUT... I am planning to drive 225 miles tomorrow (each way) to get a Land Pride (repainted/branded Hustler Mini Z) zero turn. 52" Deck, and 24HP Honda Engine. It has 223 hours on the clock. A guy got it in trade when his neighbor moved away, and has been one owner this whole time. (He has 2 other zero turns, and doesn't really need the third, so is selling it.) He has agreed to sell it to me for $3,100.

I currently have an Exmark Viking 48" Walkbehind, and am totally fine with it. I always WANTED something faster, but I like walking the few accounts I have for the exercise. I have sever carpel tunnel, and using my hands to grip really aggravates it, so I have decided to get a riding mower instead. (I have used Scag, White, and Exmark riders in the past, FYI...)

I am just looking for some feedback here. It seems like a really good price/value here. Any input on pulling the trigger?

Thanks!!!

Used mowers is all I buy. This isn't that spiffy of a deal, quite honestly. With that number to spend I could get a good 61" Scag Turf Tiger or a Toro ZMaster 66", an Exmark Lazer 60". If you wanted to keep in the Scag Tiger Cub smaller deck range you could easily match that. We're still in winter, deals are to be had right now but yours isn't it. That mower should go for $2600 tops, even then I'd not be interested personally but you couldn't go wrong. Hustler Super Z or Mini Z can be had for $3100 regularly with good hours. Don't get so infatuated with 235 hrs as opposed to better quality machine with 500-800 hrs. You'll never know the difference in hours of use and you'll own a bigger, more powerful machine. Just an opinion from one who sells used every week of the year...

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
03-08-2011, 10:54 PM
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!

Totally worth my trip today. The mower was in even more excellent condition than I had originally anticipated. It looks like it is still almost brand new. The PO had just changed the oil for me as well before I got there. Turns out this is not just the Land Pride ZR52, but the ZRP52, which was built for their commercial applications. The 24HP Honda engine combo was the highest priced, best optioned mower they produced. It is a 2004, and retailed for $8,599. With just over 200 hours, at $3,100, I think I got a GREAT deal! I am very excited to start using this in the upcoming season!! I can upload a pic later, but figured I would clean it up a little bit more first... :clapping:

now...go mow some grass, young feller.

Dogbonz
03-08-2011, 11:52 PM
Geez,,,first he's got to clean out his cereal bowl from you pissing in his Wheaties,,, and then clean up all the balloons that you just popped for him. If he's happy with the deal that's all the matters.

davidcalhoun
03-09-2011, 02:48 AM
I agree. Why try and kick sand in someone's face after the fact.

abbzer0
03-09-2011, 07:56 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: ... okay, so I thought my cereal tasted a bit funny this morning.... While I agree I may be able to find a better deal (and I offered $2,800, but he wouldn't hardly budge), this is the best deal I could find RIGHT NOW. There were a few Tiger Cubs out there, but with 1000 hours, the dealer was willing to give the guy $2,800 on a trade-in, so he wouldn't take any less than that. I am much happier to spend an extra $300, and have 1/5th the hours on it. Plus, I would rather have a 24HP Honda engine any day over a 19HP Kohler. Just my preference.

This isn't a "my mower is better than yours" thread, I was just looking for some last minute insight. I've been under the gun to buy a new mower FAST before cutting season starts so I don't mess up my hands any more. (I could hardly ride my motorcycle any more, and had difficulty sleeping at nights, shaving during the morning, etc.... and mowing severely aggravated it)

With the time I had to buy, and didn't want to go over 3k, I"m happy. PLus, to go with another comment, this mower is essentially a Hustler Mini Z. After 2006 LandPride started manufacturing their own, but before then everything was made from hustler. I believe most of the parts are interchangeable as well. (Although I got a complete parts index.)

I may not be very active in posting on here, but that doesn't mean I appreciate everyone's feedback any less. So thank you all for chiming in. Hopefully this will be a better season than last for everyone!

D&K Lawns
03-09-2011, 10:40 AM
I have purchased mowers that when I look back on it, I felt I probably paid a little to much, but in your case, if you like the look and feel, then good. This was obviously not an impulse buy so therefore be proud in your efforts to get all the info possible. Enjoy and let us know how it works for you.