PDA

View Full Version : Teaching a guy to use a stand on

Guzzo856
03-07-2011, 11:51 PM
I just bought a great dane 48" surfer. Im gonna need another gut to operate it. I want to get one of my guys on the machine so the can get the hang of it as soon as possible. Most of my guys never cut with one before. I dont want to get an american off craigslist. I know it sounds bad but i would rather train a mexican than to get an American. Because my crew works better as a unit. Also with other experiences they can be a pain in the but by acting like they know everything

mykayel
03-07-2011, 11:55 PM
So is there a question in there?

cvcook
03-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Just put one on it and practice. nobody's born with experience......you'd laughed your ass off if you saw me learning how to drive my Walker 13 years ago LOL!

kilgoja
03-08-2011, 12:09 AM
aww man i worked for a guy back when i was in my 20s and he had walkers...i hated those things lol...i hated that the forward and reverse movement had a seperate lever and i would try to turn 180 degrees at full speed lol....you have to almost pull the lever to the stop position when turning around on those things lol and then push it back forward...i like the normal ztr operation on other mowers much better

ncknaklawns
03-08-2011, 01:59 AM
When I opened my business they loaded it into my trailer I watched and then I was on my own. It took a whole 20 seconds to figure it out. No problem

brian1425
03-08-2011, 09:20 AM
Ok so far this post has nothing to do with learning/teaching to drive a stand on. I will try to divert back to the original question as I have some genuine interest in it. How different is a stand on vs a rider? What is the learning curve for someone who has never driven a stand on?

ncknaklawns
03-08-2011, 09:30 AM
The Wright is cake. No learning curve. To do a good job comes with taking pride in your work and doing the best you can. Its not play time. Visibility is high so its a lot easier than a rider (less likely to bump anything). The Wright handle is in the center with two moving ones on either side. Very comfortable. Its like riding a bike with training wheels cause you can't tip over. Just hold on tight. Hands can get a little sore the first few times out but that diminishes over time. Just hope no carple sets in.

Guzzo856
03-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Im gonna get them on it as soon as possible, thats how i learned by practacing

Baytownlawncare
03-08-2011, 10:11 AM
It took me about 4 yards to master my v-ride. I did hit my house, rather hard at that, did do some damage to the house. I am glad it was my house and not a customer. I gotten where I run a quick ring around the fence and house with the 21" and then break out the v-ride and do the rest. It takes less than 5 minutes to ring the yard and keep a buffer zone and a bit of insurance. I guess when I feel a bit more confident, I may start cutting closer with the stander. It is my first zero turn and it is great as far as productivity. Best of luck.

robertsturf
03-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Start them off in a parking lot, kinda like drivers-ed! Them put them on your largest flatest lawn with the least amount of turns and such. It isn't that hard to train someone on them! We have done it several times.

Landrus2
03-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Well take the blades off and put front detacher on and let him have fun

Stillwater
03-08-2011, 04:01 PM
I dont want to get an american. I know it sounds bad but i would rather train a mexican than to get an American.

you got that right that sounds bad, But it does say a lot about you.

Guzzo856
03-08-2011, 04:18 PM
the guys i use bust there but, they are always calling me to know when were are gonna start up for spring. They have others that they know that want to work hard. Im in this to make money. Not for fun, a hobby, or a side job.... That means me hiring the hardest, best working guys i can find easily so i can make money.

BrunoT
03-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Post his SS# (with the last 4 digits redacted), his payroll stub showing ss,mc, tax, and uic deductions, and I'll write you a large paragraph on the subject.

kilgoja
03-08-2011, 06:51 PM
i don't like walkbehinds or standers...i remember that old scag walkbehind i used to be forced to use when i worked for another company...the levers were so hard to pull lol...i sure hope they are better nowdays...i have no use for one though...ztr, 21", trimmer, and blower is all i need :)

chuacro
07-13-2011, 12:06 AM
The wright stander was the easiest mower I have learned to use. With your butt sticking out you will learn real quick when turning around objects. The walker is easy too if you just remember when turning around any objects slow down and take your time. The Hustler Mini Z has a mind of its own when you hit a down hill area.

BTM Lawn Maintenance L.L.C
07-18-2011, 08:07 PM
That's how I got my brother on my Walker,Put him on it in a lot , now hes doing yards that aren't that great so if he tears some turf you cant really tell...but the only way to learn is to get them on it and stay with them for a few then see if they pick up on it.. good luck.

ALC-GregH
07-18-2011, 08:23 PM
So is there a question in there?

I was wondering the same thing.

2ndNature
07-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Post his SS# (with the last 4 digits redacted), his payroll stub showing ss,mc, tax, and uic deductions, and I'll write you a large paragraph on the subject.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

lol

Lugnut
07-18-2011, 10:39 PM
the guys i use bust there but,

The guys you use? Does that mean your employees or the guys you pick up outside the deli every morning

GravyTrain
07-19-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm going back to the whole mexican vs. american thing as well. I understand that we are all in this to make money (at least, that's the hope, based on some comments, I question what some people are doing). However, when I lay down in bed at night, I like to be able to sleep with a clean conscious.

With that said, if the "mexicans" being hired are mexican by birth, but went through proper immigration (which our country does offer) and is now a US citizen, then I see no problem with this, and applaud your honesty.

MCFISH
07-19-2011, 11:28 AM
I know it sounds bad but i would rather train a mexican than to get an American

In your case paint the machine to look like a goat, then it will come natural for the type of guys you use.

nepatsfan
07-19-2011, 11:35 AM
I cant imagine what the uproar would be if someone said....I only want to hire whites...blacks and mexicans are just plain lazy. The thread would be deleted and everyone would be in an uproar. I am not saying you shouldn't hire a LEGAL mexican or anyone for that matter, but to come out and say it like that....well......talk about racism.

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
07-20-2011, 12:32 PM
I cant imagine what the uproar would be if someone said....I only want to hire whites...blacks and mexicans are just plain lazy. The thread would be deleted and everyone would be in an uproar. I am not saying you shouldn't hire a LEGAL mexican or anyone for that matter, but to come out and say it like that....well......talk about racism.

Someone just pointed out the elephant in the room. If I'm white and I want to only hire white guys I'm a racist. If I'm insert anything else and only hire the same, I'm empowering a minority. This is the biggest double standard in America today. So I'm going to do what would be done if it was said I only want to hire white guys because (instert what ever reason). I think that everyone should start telling you had awful you are and the mods should delete your post b/c of racism. Nothign personal but there is a huge injustice and it needs to stop.

GrassGuerilla
07-20-2011, 01:55 PM
To the OP: are you really just trying to be provocative? There wasn't much of a question, just a loaded statement. As others have said, if you changed Mexican to white... You may well be facing a discrimination lawsuit.

If that was really an honest revelation, you sir, are an offensive racist. Period.

That said, I'm tempted to forward a link to your states attorney general. Such blatant racist statements regarding hiring practices are widely frowned upon. Very revealing indeed.
Posted via Mobile Device

GrassGuerilla
07-20-2011, 02:08 PM
To the OP: are you really just trying to be provocative? There wasn't much of a question, just a loaded statement. As others have said, if you changed Mexican to white... You may well be facing a discrimination lawsuit.

If that was really an honest revelation, you sir, are an offensive racist. Period.

That said, I'm tempted to forward a link to your states attorney general. Such blatant racist statements regarding hiring practices are widely frowned upon. Very revealing indeed.
Posted via Mobile Device

ibjohng4
07-20-2011, 04:22 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

We are still in America...he can say what he wants...until he actually discriminates AND it is proven, there isn't anything anyone can do about it including an attorney general. :nono: If that is all it takes for you to be offended, you need grow up a bit. There are alot more important things in this world to worry about or get offended over about than hiring a mexican over an american. :usflag:

GrassGuerilla
07-20-2011, 04:44 PM
No worries, I'm not the tattle tale type. I just think the very idea of hiring someone based on race is sad. Yeah it's a free country, but spelling out your racially preferential hiring practices is just plain dumb (and offensive). I hope the OP is dragged into court to try to defend his hiring practices someday. I assure you his statements are pretty damning. No it doesn't concern me. It does offend my sense of right and wrong though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Guzzo856
07-20-2011, 05:31 PM
this is old.... still no americans in my crew, and everything is working out

ibjohng4
07-20-2011, 06:24 PM
this is old.... still no americans in my crew, and everything is working out

That is ok. NO mexicans on my crews. ONLY Americans. Everything is working out great.:usflag:

Lugnut
07-20-2011, 07:09 PM
That is ok. NO mexicans on my crews. ONLY Americans. Everything is working out great.:usflag:

Same here...i had to weed out alot who fit the lazy American stereotype but i found enough good guys and am damn proud to say my company is 100% American. Hope it bites the guys in the ass some day when they have no work because they spent their money on guys who send their paychecks back across the border. Boost up the economy here a little bit and hire local workers

nepatsfan
07-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Someone just pointed out the elephant in the room. If I'm white and I want to only hire white guys I'm a racist. If I'm insert anything else and only hire the same, I'm empowering a minority. This is the biggest double standard in America today. So I'm going to do what would be done if it was said I only want to hire white guys because (instert what ever reason). I think that everyone should start telling you had awful you are and the mods should delete your post b/c of racism. Nothign personal but there is a huge injustice and it needs to stop.

Thanks for elaborating....You are 100% right and it really pisses me off. Hire the best person for the job....that's all I'm saying.

Don't give me the Americans are lazy excuse....Americans aren't lazy, they want a wage that they can support a family on....is that too much to ask? If you want to pay 10 bucks an hour cash...you get latin americans who more than likely live in a house with several of them(this is how they can save money)....just stating the obvious. They save money for years sending it back and then move back and live like kings..I dont blame them either, they are doing what is best for their families but if we stopped supporting illegals this would stop.:usflag:

chuacro
07-20-2011, 11:23 PM
I work solo and do not have this hiring issue. My son helps me when needed. I am a white redneck American and my wife is a Filipino. My son looks like a Latin American. He was helping me last week and the customer came out on the porch too talk to me. He asked if my son could speak english. I asked why and told him if this was a problem I would talk to him. He told me that if my son could not understand him then he should not be working on his property. I stopped my son and had him talk to Mr. Shyte. Mr Shyte then told me it was o.k. for him to be there and started to walk back into the house. I said excuse me Mr. Shyte you just interviewed my son and the way I see it you do not approve of the way I select my help. I told Mr. Shyte to find another LCO and make sure to tell them on the front end what type a person he wants on his property. I cut this customers lawn for 2 years and I guess this is the first time he saw my son.