PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Ram tranny issues??

mow king
03-08-2011, 01:23 AM
I have a '94 Dodge ram with 105k miles with the auto tranny. I bought it with 100k on it and the tranny had been previously rebuilt..

The issue has been developing over the last 1k miles or so. What happens is going over 60 (anywhere between 60 and 80mph) cruising the RPM will fluctuate about 200rpm.

I do not know much about tranny's but is it possible the torque converter is locking and unlocking?

It is really annoying on long drives.

Any help or tips would be great

Chop Stuff Up
03-08-2011, 05:06 AM
I had the same issue with a new trans and it ended up being a torque converter clutch relay switch. They covered it under warranty and trans has been fine since.

swanny
03-08-2011, 07:40 PM
I drove a 97 Dodge 3500 w/ cummins, AT w/ OD - tranny with OD off wouldn't do more than 55 mph. Is that normal?

jay12
03-08-2011, 09:37 PM
It could be as chop said, the relay switches do tend to go out on a dodge. I had one that did the same thing in a 99 dodge diesel, with overdrive off it didnt do it. Mine was pretty much burnt up, and needed a torque converter and clutches. The noise is typically what you said, the converter not locking up, it free wheels when its not pulling hard or is running steady, when your in the gas or in a pull (hill) it locks up as it should, just wont stay. Mine needed a new converter. I wish you the best of luck though.

mag360
03-09-2011, 11:05 AM
That's tricky - in '94 the torque converter had no electronic lockup. 46rh and 47rh transmissions used fluid coupling only (and were more prone to heat related failure). Not sure if a rebuilder would have been able to replace with a 47re without spending lots of $$$ on computer related stuff...