PDA

View Full Version : Feedback On 48" Tiger Cubs By Scag

MOWERSALES
09-17-2002, 10:45 AM
I AM LOOKING FOR FEEDBACK ON YOUR 48" SCAG TIGER CUBS..LIKES DISLIKES PROBLEMS FEATURES

Oliver1850
09-17-2002, 01:01 PM
Are you asking about the 2001 or 2002 Tiger Cub. Considerable impovements were made for 2002?

Why the 48"? The 52" may be a better choice, particularily for cutting closeness, i.e. less trimming.

I have the 2002 Tiger Cub with 52" deck and 23 KAW. I am very impressed with this machine. The compactness is a huge plus versus the larger machines.

The advantage deck is awesome in the wet heavy Spring grasses and I especially like the front adjustable baffle.

The maintenance is very accessible. All filters, drain plugs, belts and clutches are within easy reach. I especially like the greasable, cast iron spindles. After replacing spindle bearings on my 2001 Laser, I never want to do that again.

The Cub lays a decent stripe, however, not as consistent and agressive as my Laser. It stripes better now that I adjusted the front pitch, put higher lift blades on and added a chain kit. According to my dealer Scag has a striping kit in the works for next Spring.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any particular questions.

strickdad
09-17-2002, 02:44 PM
i have been informed by the scag rep that the 2003 cub will be the biggest bang for the buck.. it will feature a 61" advantage deck and a 25 kohler price will be 6195.00

CSRA Landscaping
09-17-2002, 02:53 PM
A 61" deck on a CUB? That sounds nice ... The only thing that I see there is that may sort of defeat the purpose of the cub's compactness. There are places that I go taht you can't even take a 52" deck. I've enjoyed my 48" deck STC for almost two years now. Been through a few belts but I think that was my fault, and also a tire that I know was my fault. So far, I like it. I'm planning on getting a bagger from Scag later, prob. the Cougar.

Jimbo
09-17-2002, 04:39 PM
I have the 2002 Scag Tiger Cub 23HP Kawi with 52" Deck. I have ran the piss out of it on some rough properties all year without a hitch. Everything is working great and I would buy another in a minute.

Built like a Tank!

Jim

Precision Care
09-17-2002, 09:54 PM
I had a 2001 48" cub w/19Kaw. I put a mulch kit on and the grass disappeared. It did a great job. I traded it in for a 2002 sabor tooth 61" w/27 h2o cooled kaw. It to has a mulch kit. I also got that fancy seat and it is worth every penny. My only complaint is if the grass collection system for the 2001 cub is the same for the 2002 sabor tooth I would not give $5.00 for it.

Precision Care Lawn Service

firefighter
09-17-2002, 10:06 PM
I also have a SCAG CUB 52" deck and 23hp k. Oliver1850 and jimbo said it all about the cub. Great machine, can't wait for a stripping kit next year. :dizzy:

CSRA Landscaping
09-17-2002, 10:10 PM
Jeffrey Lee, how do you like the saber tooth? Does it mulch as well as the cub?

odin
09-17-2002, 10:28 PM
hope they bring out a stripeing kit for the walkbehinds to

Strickdad that 6195 is a good bang for the buck. Buddy of mine paid 7400 for a 2002 with 23 horse kaw and 52 inch deck

Zacks Lawn Care
09-18-2002, 03:06 PM
I have a 2001 tiger cub 23 Kaw 52 advantage deck.Worked all of yesterday replacing spring that holds tension on hydro pump belt.The machine only has 150 hrs on it,needless to say I was seeing Exmark red by the end of the day.This was the second time I have had spring problems,had to replace broken deck spring at 70 hrs.
ZACKS LAWN CARE

Farmboy
09-18-2002, 09:01 PM
I do not know if they are good or not. Never see one, and if you ask anyone about them they will either laugh or just bad mouth them. From what I have gathered at least around here is they have no parts availablilty or at least very poor parts availabilty.

Shady Brook
09-18-2002, 11:37 PM
6195 for a 25/61!!! :dizzy:

That sounds too good to be true! I wish there was some way to get confirmation on that. 61 does not sound to compact to me, but boy the price is right. Any more info on this deal would interest me.

Jay

strickdad
09-19-2002, 02:59 AM
guys i dont know, cause i dont run them, but they tell me that the cub will hold a hill really well. (thats why i run great danes)the rep tells me that the cub will hold a hill better than a saber tooth. and that the cub has sold really well, so they are taking that on step futher and putting the 61" on the cub and a 25 kohler in it ( i imagine you will also be able to get a kaw too.) the rep said the mower will pretty much be the same, except it will have a larger drive tire on it.. i will keep you informed..

mklawnman
09-19-2002, 01:26 PM
We looked at a Tiger Cub last year 2001 when looking at buying a 52inch ZTR. Our dealer had said that the Tiger Cub doesn't hold hills as well as the Turf Tiger because of the wide stance the Turf Tiger gives so who knows. I have a 52inch Turf Tiger and love it, built like a tank like someone said, though somewhat dissappointed at times in the striping. Made a rubber stripe kit for it, has helped some but not much, will be very interesting on what Scag makes for a striping kit in spring cause id be very interested in buying one if its resonable.
Oh the Scag WB stripe terrific without any kit added, jungle wheel helps the striping effect too.
Matt (lawnman)

Oliver1850
09-19-2002, 03:52 PM
All 2002 ZTR Scags have redezigned frames that altimately lowered the center of gravity, thus improving hill stability.

I know that my 2002 Tiger Cub, when compared to my full size Laser, sticks like glue. I attribute this to great weight distribution, particularily where the engine is placed on the frame.

The seats on the 2001 models placed the operator on top of the mower versus the 2002, recessed, between the wheels.

Oliver1850
09-19-2002, 03:53 PM
Woops, Altimately should be spelled Ultimately - Sorry!

mklawnman
09-19-2002, 04:46 PM
Yeah I've seen the new Scag line up of ZTR's for 2002, all of them have lower center of gravity. Seems like the Tiger Cub is making a better name for Scag than the Turf Tiger is on this site, even though many people love their Turf Tiger's like me, some hate them. Hopefully the Turf Tigers will stripe just like the Exmarks someday.
But a new Tiger Cub for 03 that has a 61inch deck on it?? Wow thats getting kinda big for that little machine, yeah put the right motor on it, but its everything else, hydro pumps and wheel motors. I thought the Tiger Cub was originally designed for small area's and tight spaces on a Trailer, thats why they make the Turf Tiger for a 61inch deck. Seems like they are going a bit too far with the Cub when they put such a big deck on it.
Matt

swonkeg
09-20-2002, 08:59 AM
I had the oppertunity to use a neighbor's tiger cub (21kaw/48) yesterday at a bed & breakfast and man was I impressed. Cut was good, speed was good, and the seat was comfortable, the owner of the b&b even came out and stood and watched me mow then commented how smooth the cut was for the speed.