PDA

View Full Version : Possible to kill a large area of weeds organically/naturally?

Shpigford
03-08-2011, 02:55 PM
We've got a ~4500sq/ft back yard that's probably 90% weeds. Is there an organic/natural way to kill off all the weeds so we can start from scratch?
With kids and dogs and a swimming pool right beside the area, I'd really rather not spray a ton of roundup (or something comparable).

I had one guy suggestion Iron X (http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=3721) but I've read mixed reviews.

I've always read about people putting newspaper or black tarp over areas of weed to kill them, but with this square footage I'm just not sure that's feasible.

Here's a close up of what most of the weeds are (though really there are probably a dozen different types):

http://share.shpigford.com/images/IMG_2069-20100922-214324.jpg

ron mexico75
03-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Honestly, roudup is probably the safest non organic herbicide out there. As long as the kids and pets aren't running through it before it dries you're fine. It doesn't leach into the soil. I mean, if you can spray it in an area where you are going to garden and then wait a few weeks before planting, I'd think it's safe enough to spray on weeds to re-establish a lawn.

phasthound
03-08-2011, 07:44 PM
I thought I'd do a search before I replied, came up with this
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070524161223AAhGoeU

Forget about it, that won't work. A one time application of Round Up will work and not harm anyone or the environment. Follow up with developing a dense lawn or ground cover to crowd out weeds. However, if you have a lot of foot traffic on the lawn near the pool it will be difficult to maintain.

Landrus2
03-08-2011, 08:03 PM
This is what comes close to chemicals

JFGauvreau
03-08-2011, 09:18 PM
This is what comes close to chemicals

I like that idea!

Not but seriously like the others said your best bet is use round up. If you still think it's to dangerous for your backyard, go ahead and spend 1000$ on tarps to cover everything for a week to let everything die.

That yahoo answer would simply not work well, to start cutting a 3-4" height, to let the grass grow longer and eventually choking the weeds. Because it seems you don't have any grass to start off, and re-seeding would not work, seeds would never be able to germinate with all those weeds.

Seems you have a lot of thatch & debris, once you have killed all the weeds, it would be your #1 priority to add a good 6-8" of top soil.

Steiner
03-08-2011, 09:19 PM
How about till it up and sod the area?

jay albers
03-08-2011, 09:49 PM
tilling it up would be the worst thing you could do

ICT Bill
03-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Looks like a great strawberry patch to me, go with it, a little extra money on the side

weeds are in the eye of the beholder, if it holding top soil and you don't mind it so much just leave it or plant strawberries that produce a better crop

Kiril
03-08-2011, 11:02 PM
If I'm not mistaken Bill, that looks like mock strawberry to me (Potentilla indica)

Swampy
03-09-2011, 12:50 AM
I like that idea!

That is actually what school districts around here are starting to do instead off using round up in cracks of asphalt and concrete. The bad, sorched earth, can't get close to plants you want to save, california brush fire. But will kill the weed.

ChiTownAmateur
03-17-2011, 06:55 PM
My 2c after a lot of thought and reading here and elsewhere is that it simply isn't green really to plant a lawn.

You can take care of the lawn using green principles, and once you learn the ins and outs can do it very well. But planting the initial lawn -- versus say more naturally dominant weeds or groundcover in and of itself is a choice to be less green than you could be

So imo, suck it up, be green as soon as it comes in but until then use best practices followed by the pros here to get the lawn installed as quickly as possible. Roundup, wait, till it all, round up again, wait, then plant is what I've learned. Then, if you choose, never again use chemicals that aren't natural.

JDUtah
03-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Lawns will be "green" eventually

Marcos
03-18-2011, 10:31 PM
If I'm not mistaken Bill, that looks like mock strawberry to me (Potentilla indica)

This.... is an example of why people don't like you, Kiril.

Kiril
03-18-2011, 11:51 PM
This.... is an example of why people don't like you, Kiril.

This.... is an example of why people don't like you, Marcos.

quiet
03-19-2011, 12:39 PM
You're both right!

Kiril
03-19-2011, 12:41 PM
You're both right!

Yup, because everyone knows that providing people with correct information is just damn wrong.

phasthound
03-19-2011, 01:00 PM
I know you are, but what am I?? Na nanana na.

Sheesh, grow up.

Kiril
03-19-2011, 01:07 PM
I know you are, but what am I?? Na nanana na.

Sheesh, grow up.

Yes Daddy. Do I have to go stand in the corner now for a time out?

Stillwater
03-19-2011, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE=ChiTownAmateur;3943360]My 2c after a lot of thought and reading here and elsewhere is that it simply isn't green really to plant a lawn./QUOTE]

intresting.....mine always come up green...., why what colors are your lawns?