PDA

View Full Version : Question for you..

Matt Hermann
03-08-2011, 03:01 PM
I've got a quick question...

When you go out to talk to a customer to see what they need done (whether it be mulch, grass or leaves) do you guys take a sheet of paper with you? or just write what they want done in your iPhone/phone? or just memorize it?

Matt

punt66
03-08-2011, 03:04 PM
I've got a quick question...

When you go out to talk to a customer to see what they need done (whether it be mulch, grass or leaves) do you guys take a sheet of paper with you? or just write what they want done in your iPhone/phone? or just memorize it?

Matt

Go to staples and get a hardcase clip board. Store estimate sheets inside and a pad of paper and business cards. If your confident in your price just spit it out. If they want a formal quaote then use your estimate sheet. Keep a copy to enter into quickbooks later.

Matt Hermann
03-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Go to staples and get a hardcase clip board. Store estimate sheets inside and a pad of paper and business cards. If your confident in your price just spit it out. If they want a formal quaote then use your estimate sheet. Keep a copy to enter into quickbooks later.

What does your estimate sheet look like if you don't mind me asking? I'm just starting this landscaping stuff up, a sophmore in HS, and have a few questions.

ncknaklawns
03-08-2011, 04:14 PM
You need to estimate
-weed pulling time
-trimming time
-cleanup time
-edging time
-Haul a crap time and dump cost
-Mulch delivery
-mulch cost
-edge prep time (so mulch doesn't spill out onto the walkway)
-mulch labor

and do it in that order.
all the ones with time are your hourly rate. Can very by the work.
Cleanup and edging take the most time,
edging is the hardest work. You have to weed deep and fast.
Add it up, multiply by your sales tax and hand them the estimate.

If your off on the mulch charge them more if your off on the labor-your fault. Learn how to quote better.

Matt Hermann
03-08-2011, 04:28 PM
what's the difference between edging time and edge prep time?

STIHL GUY
03-08-2011, 05:18 PM
i walk the property with the customer and see what they want done then i either give them a price or go to the truck and calculate an estimate and go back and talk to them

kilgoja
03-08-2011, 05:42 PM
why do people post the same thread in 2 different sections? lol

jsslawncare
03-08-2011, 06:19 PM
I do like JP. Hardcase clip board works great.

RadiantLawnCare
03-08-2011, 06:46 PM
just grab a clipboard paper and pen, jot it all down as you walk the property then go back to your truck to get your mind straight, figure a price and give it to them.

yardguy28
03-08-2011, 07:44 PM
if they want a lot done i have a piece of paper i write it on. if it's just one or 2 things i keep in memorized until i can write it down.

if they want a formal estimate they have to wait until i get back to my office to type something up. otherwise i've been known to write the price and service on the back of my business card.

i don't keep track of estimates so there's no putting anything into the computer as far as estimates go. once i'm hired the work that gets done goes in for invoicing but thats it.

the lawns software i use to use had an estimate template but now i've switched over to quicken so there is no template for me to follow so i'm gonna have to make something up.

1993lx172
03-08-2011, 08:07 PM
More often than not my client has a list of what they want done for me when they call. When I go to look at a job I take one of those spiral bound index-card note books (we used them in marching band to write our coordinates down) to take all that stuff down.

punt66
03-09-2011, 03:08 PM
What does your estimate sheet look like if you don't mind me asking? I'm just starting this landscaping stuff up, a sophmore in HS, and have a few questions.

My on the go ones i just buy from stapels. Otherwise i use quick books. Get quick books simple start. Its free.