PDA

View Full Version : What do you personally do?

Matt Hermann
03-08-2011, 03:02 PM
I've got a quick question...

When you go out to talk to a customer to see what they need done (whether it be mulch, grass or leaves) do you guys take a sheet of paper with you? or just write what they want done in your iPhone/phone? or just memorize it?

Matt

paponte
03-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Ummm... a quote sheet? How else do you plan on giving them a quote?

Agape
03-09-2011, 05:02 PM
I've got a quick question...

When you go out to talk to a customer to see what they need done (whether it be mulch, grass or leaves) do you guys take a sheet of paper with you? or just write what they want done in your iPhone/phone? or just memorize it?

Matt

I make notes on a piece of paper, then write it up on a bid sheet while they flip through a booklet of my before and after pictures. I write it on their contact page in my planner so I remember what it was they wanted, in case they get back to me later, and for what price (each service) in case they pick and choose per their budget.
Haven't gone high tech yet.

PetesLandscape&Supply
03-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Ummm... a quote sheet? How else do you plan on giving them a quote?

Have to agree here ...how else would you do it .....I have 2 copy quote sheets on a clip board and give them a copy with a new company pen .

MarkintheGarden
03-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Clipboard, it is kind of like a prethech laptop.

PerfectEarth
03-09-2011, 05:33 PM
I never write a quote on site and hand it over, unless it is a very small job or a tree install or something I can calculate.

I prefer to walk around with the customer and take notes. I carry a clipboard with long paper (like 8.5x14?) and jot down everything. will also do quick sketches...I take that home to Quickbooks and mail them the estimate, written up very professionally, itemizing each job, task, and material amounts, etc... I think people like that. It's less stress on them (probably more on me tho!)....plus, I can have MY TIME to think about the true hours and numbers on the quote and not spit out a bad ballpark. It takes extra time but it's worth it. All my estimates are very complete.

It's never like "Spring Clean-Up and Mulch: 800.00"... I get detailed. That way, they know what you are actually doing. And I can take that estimate with me so i don't forget a thing. Sometimes I get very detailed requests.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
03-09-2011, 06:21 PM
I have a small notebook. I walk the property, make measurements, etc and all that info goes on the page(s) with customer info. Doesn't matter if its a tiny job or large job, all notes go in that book. Then I write a quote from there on a 2 part form. I keep the notebooks indefinatly and carry the previously filled one in the truck. It took valuable time to put the info in those books and I have found many times doing repeat work, or a new job, I can at times quote it from my notes.

johnslandscaping
03-10-2011, 01:28 PM
I use a notepad and give a vebal quote if they want the work done i give them a written estimate. The reason I have done it this way is due to the customer calling around and getting lower bids off my bid that I took the time to work up and other contractors trying to cut my throat to get the work.

Patriot Services
03-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Staples and Office depot both sell small and large job quote/service books. Good looking with spaces for all the customer info. 3 copies too. Perfect for smaller on the fly jobs. If they accept then I enter them into my database. Its way better than your business card with a price scratched on the back.
Posted via Mobile Device