PDA

View Full Version : Gator Blades and grass

boneslawns
03-08-2011, 04:20 PM
anyone run gator blades all year, not just for leaves or do they do that bad of a job on grass? Just thought it would be good in spring so you didn't have to double cut so much!

ashgrove landscaping
03-08-2011, 04:51 PM
I don't like the gators with grass. Leaves and junk only. The gators seems to leave tiny clumps. Just the high lifts for grass, super clean.

karlgrooms
03-08-2011, 05:06 PM
I run em all year without much ado. They actually work quite good and i cant tell any difference in clumping when grass is wet.

STIHL GUY
03-08-2011, 05:11 PM
i run em all year with no complaints except in really thick wet grass

gasracer
03-08-2011, 05:17 PM
I only use Gators for Spring/Fall cleanups. High lifts the rest of the season.

BINKY1902
03-08-2011, 05:23 PM
I can't run them year round here, but I like them in the early spring. I have to run high lifts during the prime growing season.

kilgoja
03-08-2011, 05:39 PM
gator blades are supposed to mulch the grass into smaller pieces than high lifts do...at least that's what they say...either one does a great job to me

MJB
03-08-2011, 06:14 PM
In wet grass they make a mess. I only use Gators doubled up with Hi Lifts to spread it better.

dishboy
03-08-2011, 06:24 PM
They work fine as a mulch blade in dry conditions, but with wet grass the last thing you want to do is continually chop up the grass before it is processed back into the turf. Big goopy mess. A low lift with down force in the center is a better option IMO.

kilgoja
03-08-2011, 06:30 PM
this ties into that other thread...DON'T CUT THE GRASS WHEN IT'S WET!!!!...lol

dishboy
03-08-2011, 06:33 PM
this ties into that other thread...DON'T CUT THE GRASS WHEN IT'S WET!!!!...lol

Not true, just use the right deck , mower and fertilizer program.

colby64473
03-08-2011, 06:37 PM
When the grass is really growing and somewhat damp, I change to the high lift. Other than that, don't see much difference. I run Exmark equipment.

boneslawns
03-08-2011, 07:30 PM
i run a scag with a velocity deck. are the blades that came on it high lift or would i be looking at buying a diff. set.

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
03-08-2011, 07:34 PM
i run gator high lifts all year and they do a great job! they cut the grass really nice and the yards look bagged even though i mulch/side discharge

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
03-08-2011, 07:35 PM
i use a 48 inch great dane super surfer

kilgoja
03-08-2011, 11:46 PM
Not true, just use the right deck , mower and fertilizer program.

it was said the gator blades don't do well when it's wet...it's not about the mower, deck, or fertilizer.....talking about blades...basically gator blades work great when the grass is dry so if you're gonna use them cut when it's dry...if you like to cut when it's wet then use high lifts

grassman177
03-09-2011, 12:17 AM
it was said the gator blades don't do well when it's wet...it's not about the mower, deck, or fertilizer.....talking about blades...basically gator blades work great when the grass is dry so if you're gonna use them cut when it's dry...if you like to cut when it's wet then use high lifts

this is the truth, but even then, gators are not good for longer grass than what is considered a very good frequency of mowing. tried it on many decks over the years and only use them for first cuts in spring to grind up leaves, and all fall long during leaf drop and removal. really chops the leaves fine, especially on double or triple cuts vs bagging.

believe it or not, but i mostly triple cut lawns this late fall instead of bagging and was faster or equal time, but overall was easier not to dump so many bags and off and on the mower all the time.

Green Feet Lawn
03-09-2011, 07:42 AM
I run gator blades and standard OEM blades. I would like to try the high lift blades. Any suggestions on where you like to buy them from?

dishboy
03-09-2011, 09:35 AM

The post after mine you said,

"this ties into that other thread...DON'T CUT THE GRASS WHEN IT'S WET!!!!...lol ".

This is what I said in post before yours,

"They work fine as a MULCH blade in dry conditions, but with wet grass the last thing you want to do is continually chop up the grass before it is processed back into the turf. Big goopy mess. A low lift with down force in the center is a better option IMO."

Like I said, if you want to MULCH in WET conditions a low lift blade with center down force will work better than a gator blade. But deck design and fertilizer program are just as important for wet MULCHING. For my purposes "MULCHING" implies a closed blade chamber. If you MULCH wet grass with a high lift blade you will get a mess just as MULCHING with a gator blade in wet grass. Again , mulching implies a closed deck chamber!

ron mexico75
03-09-2011, 10:56 AM
I run gator blades and standard OEM blades. I would like to try the high lift blades. Any suggestions on where you like to buy them from?

Try out mowpart.com

They havel all kinds of parts. You can actually store all your equipment type with model and serial numbers in your personal account. Sppeds things up so you don't really have to search.

kilgoja
03-09-2011, 01:03 PM
The post after mine you said,

"this ties into that other thread...DON'T CUT THE GRASS WHEN IT'S WET!!!!...lol ".

This is what I said in post before yours,

"They work fine as a MULCH blade in dry conditions, but with wet grass the last thing you want to do is continually chop up the grass before it is processed back into the turf. Big goopy mess. A low lift with down force in the center is a better option IMO."

Like I said, if you want to MULCH in WET conditions a low lift blade with center down force will work better than a gator blade. But deck design and fertilizer program are just as important for wet MULCHING. For my purposes "MULCHING" implies a closed blade chamber. If you MULCH wet grass with a high lift blade you will get a mess just as MULCHING with a gator blade in wet grass. Again , mulching implies a closed deck chamber!

um...you don't mulch when the grass is wet...if you do you are an idiot lol...i don't mulch i only side discharge...i'm sorry i thought you meant it made a mess when you cut wet grass...i overlooked the mulching part

kilgoja
03-09-2011, 01:11 PM
this is the truth, but even then, gators are not good for longer grass than what is considered a very good frequency of mowing. tried it on many decks over the years and only use them for first cuts in spring to grind up leaves, and all fall long during leaf drop and removal. really chops the leaves fine, especially on double or triple cuts vs bagging.

believe it or not, but i mostly triple cut lawns this late fall instead of bagging and was faster or equal time, but overall was easier not to dump so many bags and off and on the mower all the time.

yeah i never bag...i just go over the leaves until they disappear...alot faster and alot easier

Mic_bug
03-09-2011, 02:18 PM
In wet grass they make a mess. I only use Gators doubled up with Hi Lifts to spread it better.

dITTO THAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

dishboy
03-09-2011, 08:23 PM
um...you don't mulch when the grass is wet...if you do you are an idiot lol...i don't mulch i only side discharge...i'm sorry i thought you meant it made a mess when you cut wet grass...i overlooked the mulching part

Actually I do mulch when it is wet, that is where deck design, and my modified decks , blades and organic fertilizer program comes into play. I hate bagging, discharging will not work for my yards and is never as clean as finish cut as mulching because leaves do not disappear into the turf. Anywhere there are trees you will always have some debris no matter what time of year.

kilgoja
03-09-2011, 09:58 PM
i don't have any trouble here....i side discharge the leaves and it cuts them up small enough they fall into the lawn...if it's thick leaves may have to go over it a few times but not a big deal.....there are no leaves here during the spring and summer on the ground though...only in the fall

Snapper Pro
03-10-2011, 09:15 PM
I run gator blades year around do a good job for me.

ncknaklawns
03-11-2011, 01:16 AM
I bag all year, in fall I can really load them up with the gator blades.

ohiogreenworks
03-11-2011, 06:37 AM
We use Mamba High Lift Mulching....They seem to cut well in wet grass and makes the stripes look good!

Pennington Lawncare
03-11-2011, 11:50 AM
I bought 2 sets of Oregon Hi-Lift Gator blades last year. The second set were the G6 type and they hold an edge for a long time and they are the only blades I am buying ever again. I wish I had gone to them sooner. I have a couple sets of the Oregon OEM replacements and they do fine but, the Gators chop up the clippings better.