PDA

View Full Version : Ever use 2-way radios?

P. Nelson
09-17-2002, 11:31 AM
Had an idea to buy 2-way radios so I can communicate to my wife when we're mowing a property. Some of my jobs are large and she and I could talk back and forth about where to cut where not to cut etc. They have the voice activation and earplugs that would work well. Anybody ever try that?

Firefighter Dave
09-17-2002, 11:46 AM
Try Nextel..... they have the two way option and your headsets with Push To Talk buttons....

Dave

LAWNGODFATHER
09-17-2002, 01:01 PM
Walkie-talkies, me and a buddy used them years ago, but the same problem lies with them as does with the Nextel radios, you can't hear while mowing. The voice activation don't work all that well. I use similar when in the Bobcat with A/C.

The Nextels' have a whole lot more range than the WT's.

You can get a good pair of radios for about $60.

P. Nelson
09-17-2002, 01:31 PM
I wondered if engine noise interference would be an issue. We use am/fm headphones to listen to the radio and to protect our ears. I wonder if putting the earphones on overtop the earpiece for the 2-Way would make it easier to hear the other person. Obviously you would still have the engine noise from VOX when talking but maybe having the earphones over the earpiece would be enough to communicate succesfully.

Brickman
09-17-2002, 02:28 PM
I never used them for mowing, but if you have two guys for doing certain winterizations on the sprinkler a two way is the Cats meow. Like for systems that are still stone age and have manual valves.

thfireman
09-17-2002, 02:41 PM
I tried radios with ear plugs and voice activation.

1) The ear plugs work OK and allow you to hear fairly well but the wire tends to get caught up on stuff.

2) The voice activation feature is usless while mowing or trimming. The engine noise activates the mic and it stays opened most of the time. Not a good choice.

I also found that if you were using them while mowing that someone always was calling me when I was in a tight spot and could not turn loose to talk. NOT SAFE.

The system works OK if you are doing landscaping or planting across a property but how often are you that far apart?

Just my opinon.:rolleyes:

HarryD
09-17-2002, 03:24 PM
we used to use them when plowing snow . we had about 7 trucks going so ited helped to know where everyone was

P. Nelson
09-17-2002, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I wonder if you can turn off the VOX mic so it only activates when depressing the switch on the handheld. That would eliminate unwanted xfer due to engine noise.

sprucehavenfarm
09-17-2002, 04:20 PM
Cobra makes some FRS radios with a vibrating alert. My wife and I use them on the farm. Works well when on the tractor or in a noisy place. FRS works fine out in the countryside but if I were to buy today I would look at an FRS/GMRS combo for more channels.

CT18fireman
09-17-2002, 04:53 PM
We use them to let drivers speak to shovelers in the winter and to allow equipment operators to talk to laborers in the summer. When you are out of site or in noisy enviroments, screaming is not an option. The radios provide good reception within a couple miles.

Bob Minney
09-17-2002, 06:20 PM
We used them when snow plowing, worked out well.
I'm alone when mowing, dont need a radio to talk to myself.

P. Nelson
09-18-2002, 11:20 AM
Since my mowers are all front mount with engine in back I wonder if the engine noise would still be substantial enough so that the person on the other end wouldn't be able to understand. I have a friend that has some cheapies I can try out.

bubble boy
09-18-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Bob Minney
We used them when snow plowing, worked out well.
I'm alone when mowing, dont need a radio to talk to myself.

:Dbeen talking to myself for years. i guess the day i think i need the 2 way radio to do it i should just commit myself :D

i know someone mentioned using 2 way while plowing, but i think p nelson means the radio shack type of 2 way, with no network and no billing. works over, say, 100 or 200 feet. but doesn't work over XX miles.

for applications of say over a couple miles, the 2 way network service (i guess nextel in the states?) is needed. but here they cost per handset double what the lowest cell phone plan per month costs.

cheaper for us to just have a few cell phones on low monthly plans.

MacLawnCo
09-18-2002, 04:00 PM
I have some motorola two way radios with an ungodly number of chanels. They work over like 5 miles, but I never use them for the bus. They work very well, but i have no use for them at this time.

P. Nelson
09-18-2002, 04:06 PM
The ones I had in mind you see for sale @ Circuit City, Best Buy, Gander Mtn. etc. They range from $60 to $150/pair and have a 2 mile range. I have some friends that use them for hunting and they work very well. Will let you know what I findout from the cheapies.

Barker's Lawn Care
09-18-2002, 10:25 PM
I've got the frs's and they work for "up to 2 miles". I've been lookin at the frs(family radio service)/gmrs(general mobile radio service) combinations. On the GMRS channels u get 5 miles. It is about $75 for the lisence that u have 2 file with F.C.C. and lasts for 5 years. Motorola has IMO the best radios out there. Please visit
http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=235398&prmenbr=126&twoway_cgrfnbr=9&zipcode=&prsdesc=TALKABOUT%AET6400%20AA%20Alkaline&cmid=MERCHHOMPG

yacht
09-20-2002, 10:07 PM
I have used the 2 way radios when hunting, camping, and skiing and they're great. Not sure how they would do noise-wise on a mower. Since alot of people are using these and they have few channels, you may run into alot of radio traffic in a heavy populated area.

Grasshog
09-20-2002, 10:47 PM
NEXTEL, its the wave of the future. Everyone I deal with has one now. From repair shop, dealer, friends, supply house and yes WIFE.

Brickman
09-21-2002, 12:06 PM
I would love to have Nextel, but their coverage is really poor to nonexistant where I live. I would have to have 2 phones to be able to communicat so....................:rolleyes: