PDA

View Full Version : Need help in truck buying

grassyfras
03-08-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm thinking about getting a new truck. I have little knowledge about buying a used truck and not sure what to look for. I found one on craigslist that seems to be what I need. It is a 2001 GMC 4x2 Duramax with Allison transmission with about 110,000 miles. The seller said it was used mostly as a daily driver and did not plow any snow. He is the second owner and the truck came from Texas. My current truck is a 2004 gm4x2 with just a V6. The gas mileage is poor. I'm thinking the other truck will get at least 18mpg unloaded. What do you guys think?

grassyfras
03-08-2011, 07:26 PM
I almost forgot he wants around 9k for it.

Swampy
03-08-2011, 08:32 PM
He seems ball park with the price.

mowerbrad
03-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Do you know much about the Duramax engines? That particular series duramax that you are looking at, LB7 series, has known injector issues. Those injectors are very expensive to replace, a couple thousand dollars. I've seen some trucks that had injectors replaced once and then 50k miles later having them replaced again. The injectors on that series aren't going to last long no matter what, its more a matter of WHEN they will need replacing and not IF.

Don't get me wrong, the Duramax engines are great engines but the LB7 series is known for their injector problems. GM did warranty the injectors, but I'm not sure if the warranty still is in effect for that old of a truck. And if you need to repair that engine at all, you will want to plan on spending a good bit of money, its not cheap (in relative terms to diesel repairs) to repair dmax engines, no matter the series.

If I were you, I'd look for a newer duramax (2004.5 or newer) or a 7.3L powerstroke.

grassyfras
03-08-2011, 09:13 PM
I did not know any of that. Thanks.