PDA

View Full Version : My lawn in coming along...

Neighbor2NV
09-17-2002, 02:36 PM
Well I have lived at my new home for almost a year now, when I moved in the lawn was dead, full of weeds, bare spots, just to name a few. I didnt have any time to work on it last OCT when we moved in so I didnt start till this spring. The Indiana weather hasnt helped me out much and I have tried to do what I could for the cheapest I could. I have donre it all my self, I know it will not compare to some of your yards but I am happy to say that I have the greenest on the block and I owe a lot of thanks to LawnSite!

As you can see my Neighbors grass is all dead and crappy, as well as accross the street, Mine is on the left

Neighbor2NV
09-17-2002, 02:38 PM
another

Neighbor2NV
09-17-2002, 02:43 PM
Last one,

Green Pastures
09-17-2002, 10:02 PM
Looks Good :blob3:

I'd aerate and seed again this fall, including some good starter fert. Especially heavy in the thin spots around the neighbors tree. Keep some extra water down there in the summer months as (obviously) the tree is taking alot of water from the lawn.

Good job for a homeowner :D ! Just kidding you understand!

Scott

Neighbor2NV
09-18-2002, 05:23 AM
Thanks, Notice 30+ views and one reply. Must not look to good:rolleyes:

I need to work on the tree part the most, I wish they would just cut it down!

TurfGuyTX
09-18-2002, 12:13 PM
I'd say your doing a good job. I'd try and spread the good a little to your neighbors. Maybe it would encourage them. Good luck.

SouthernGardening
09-18-2002, 06:58 PM
What Green Pastures and TurfGuy said.

For a different look, how about forgetting lawn under the tree and going instead with a bed of evergreen groundcover planted out to the drip line and edged with brick or concrete? :)

Neighbor2NV
09-19-2002, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by SouthernGardening
What Green Pastures and TurfGuy said.

For a different look, how about forgetting lawn under the tree and going instead with a bed of evergreen groundcover planted out to the drip line and edged with brick or concrete? :)

If the tree was mine I would have it just cut down, As you can see in the last pic, the tree is about 3 ft on their side of the prop line. Is there any grass that will grow under these darn trees>?

Green Pastures
09-19-2002, 11:33 AM
Grass will grow, you might try a shade mixture. Indiana.....cool season grasses should do very well. I'd use a good turf type fescue. Fescues do best (here anyways) cut at at least 3" tall, no lower.

There is some phenomenon I read about (here on Lawnsite) that is expecially brutal in Black Walnut trees that absolutely will not allow anything to grow in the drip line of those trees. It had something to do with a chemical produced by the decay of the leaves, twigs and bark falling from the tree. I don't know what kind of tree that is but I think all trees exhibit this phenomenon to some degree.

Like I said before, you'll just have to put down more of everything around the tree to expect the grass there to be as thick as everywhere else. No real science to it. More water, seed and fert. Have you checked the Ph levels of the soil? Fescues are very sensitive to the Ph. level of the soil.

Scott

TurfGuyTX
09-19-2002, 04:26 PM
What about a little trimming on the tree? I would think you could trim any of it that crosses the property line. A little more light might make the difference in getting the grass going. I'd just give the area a little extra attention and encourage it. Good luck.

Neighbor2NV
09-20-2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by TurfGuyTX
What about a little trimming on the tree? I would think you could trim any of it that crosses the property line. A little more light might make the difference in getting the grass going. I'd just give the area a little extra attention and encourage it. Good luck.

LOL I asked her if I could trim the tree on my side because It hung down and made it hard to mow under, she said "OK" so I cut all I could reach off of it. You should have seen it before the "cutting" :(

Thanks for the comments :D