PDA

View Full Version : Another seeding question......

meth
03-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Hey guys, I am reseeding a porting of my lawn after installing a paver patio. I am looking for a quick green up but don't want to sod so I will be seeding within the next few weeks. My question is, I plan on seeding a quality TTF mix, however I know the germination time could be up to 21 days, so can I seed an annual rye with it? Will this give me the quick green up and then die off so my TTF will thrive?

tombo82685
03-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Hey guys, I am reseeding a porting of my lawn after installing a paver patio. I am looking for a quick green up but don't want to sod so I will be seeding within the next few weeks. My question is, I plan on seeding a quality TTF mix, however I know the germination time could be up to 21 days, so can I seed an annual rye with it? Will this give me the quick green up and then die off so my TTF will thrive?

Where is your location?

Patriot Services
03-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Why give your expensive TTF mix something to compete with to save maybe 2 weeks. If your soil temps are greater than 60 you should have acceptable germination rates. Patience my friend.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
03-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Loosen the soil, and keep it loose when you put the seed down, cover with a good compost or peat, even spagnum moss, then saturate the ground and use th wate to settle it in...
If the soil temps are any good at all you should be up and running within 10 days. Do you have sunshine there?

meth
03-11-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm in the hudson valley new york area - no sunshine here! In fact it will be a couple of weeks before soil temps are up, my guess is I will have to wait until first weekend in April.

We have had about 5 inches of rain in the past week so right now we need boats and the area is just a muddy mess.

Also since the ground is so saturated I am having flooding issues with the entire back portion of the yard - we'll see what happens after things dry up a bit.

I guess I will just plant the TTF and be patient - in the past I always used straw over seed but it does bring weeds so this time I think I will use a compost/peat moss cover

Smallaxe
03-12-2011, 09:11 AM
I meant sunshine on your planting site. Full sun, partial shade, shade...

Sounds like your soil is thawed now though... We are starting to get exposed ground on a regular basis now and are hoping various areas will be thawing out this coming week... We have lots of mud on top of rockhard frost... :)

meth
03-13-2011, 06:35 PM
We have had some sun. Snow is almost gone. Things are just way too wet right now and it's still hitting freezing overnight
Posted via Mobile Device

meth
03-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Hoping to put some seed down tomorrow, hopefully its not too soon

Smallaxe
03-17-2011, 09:27 PM
The feezing/thawing cycle of the day to day temperature fluctuations will help set the seed and get it ready for germination when 'spring' finally arrives for it... :)