PDA

View Full Version : Finally a dealer that doesn't make me want to...

RodneyK
03-09-2011, 05:03 PM
I usually end up leaving a mower dealership either wanting to vomit for how much I was charged or wanting to punch someone because they just don't get it. My last dealer I think I actually saw the thought bubble above the customer service person saying, "We don't give a crap about you."

Well, I ended driving about 20 mins to a different dealership based on another LCOs recommendation. Night and day difference! Easy to work with and there to help. Andy More in particular went out of his way to make sure I was taken care of.

If you need anything I highly recommend them. More's Farm Store in Columbia City, Indiana. They have Toro, Kubota, Bad Boy, Stihl, etc.

http://www.morekubota.com/

Maybe this isn't the best place to post this but I think good dealers deserve to be known.

toros'r'us
03-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Which brand of equipment do you run? For Toro and Stihl Crescent Avenue Gardens is the best place to go.

NJT
03-09-2011, 08:20 PM
This is exactly how I feel when I walk into my local Lesco branch. They act like your wasting their time if you walk in there to buy only one pallet of fert. Now, I go elsewhere.

Vendors should treat their customers the same because someday, the little guy might be the big guy, and you just lost him.

Glad you found a good dealer. Keep telling everyone who they are. Get them some referral business.

MOHUSTLER
03-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Its good to see that there are still dealers out there who care about thier customers.

That is why I started my dealership. I mowed commercial for 7 years and just got sick of walking into the dealership in my town and bending over.
Now that delaer is my best customer. 1-2 times a week we get a new customer that the other dealer has ticked off.

My rule #1 and all my employees follow the rule is that every customer gets treated like he is your only customer. rather he is buying 1 resi mower or 10 commercial mowers.

Word of mouth is the best and cheapest way to grow your busienss.

mowerbrad
03-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Its a great feeling when you know you have a good dealer.

I used to have a dealer that I went to that I just felt like they were wasting my time. Originally I had a good experience with that dealer and would suggest them to many others around my community. But they were always very pushy and would call me to the dealership for no reason....they just started to waste my time and it got old real quick. Then when I really needed help getting my mower fixed in the middle of fall clean-ups, it took them a month (4 weeks actually) to put a new seal in a hydro pump...turned out that they sent the hydro pump out to get rebuilt without even asking me. A $50-$75 repair turned into a $250 repair that I didn't even ask for. On top of other issues, that was the last straw and I was done with them at that point.

Since then I have bought a different brand of equipment and go to a much better dealership. My current dealer has 10 different stores, has tons of parts in stock and can have parts shipped in overnight, they'll even deliver parts out to my house if need be. The two best things I like about them is that their service department is great and the salesmen aren't pushy and try to make me buy something everytime I walk in the door. Lots of LCO's go to my dealership and after going there myself for the last year and a half, I now understand why they are such a successful dealership. I'll recommend them to anyone!

rwaters
03-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Then when I really needed help getting my mower fixed in the middle of fall clean-ups, it took them a month (4 weeks actually) to put a new seal in a hydro pump...turned out that they sent the hydro pump out to get rebuilt without even asking me. A $50-$75 repair turned into a $250 repair that I didn't even ask for. On top of other issues, that was the last straw and I was done with them at that point.

I fully understand why you would be pissed at the dealer. I do not understand why a dealership can not do hydros in house. That is part of doing business in the service industry send a tech to get trained on hydro units. I personally do all of the hydro units here as they do not happen often and no point in sending everyone to school on it but we can do them in house, it is quicker and cheaper.

ncknaklawns
03-11-2011, 02:29 AM
Its a great feeling when you know you have a good dealer.

I used to have a dealer that I went to that I just felt like they were wasting my time. Originally I had a good experience with that dealer and would suggest them to many others around my community. But they were always very pushy and would call me to the dealership for no reason....they just started to waste my time and it got old real quick. Then when I really needed help getting my mower fixed in the middle of fall clean-ups, it took them a month (4 weeks actually) to put a new seal in a hydro pump...turned out that they sent the hydro pump out to get rebuilt without even asking me. A $50-$75 repair turned into a $250 repair that I didn't even ask for. On top of other issues, that was the last straw and I was done with them at that point.

Since then I have bought a different brand of equipment and go to a much better dealership. My current dealer has 10 different stores, has tons of parts in stock and can have parts shipped in overnight, they'll even deliver parts out to my house if need be. The two best things I like about them is that their service department is great and the salesmen aren't pushy and try to make me buy something everytime I walk in the door. Lots of LCO's go to my dealership and after going there myself for the last year and a half, I now understand why they are such a successful dealership. I'll recommend them to anyone!

Doe dealer have a web site we can check into for parts?

StihlMechanic
03-11-2011, 04:53 AM
Here in the Dallas area I pass 2 other dealers to get to my prefered dealer. Their parts guy is almost as good as I was and they're friendly.

RodneyK
03-11-2011, 08:12 AM
I wish there was an area on here that was divided up by states where you could rate dealers, comment on them, etc.

rwaters
03-11-2011, 11:20 AM
I wish there was an area on here that was divided up by states where you could rate dealers, comment on them, etc.

that would be a good idea except someone would figure out a way to game the system making that section worthless with lots of fake info.

StihlMechanic
03-13-2011, 05:40 AM

Well, let start one so at least their names are on this thread if someone googles them. I will start.

I give a thumbs up to Smith Farm and Garden in Lewisville, Texas.

Dont even waste your time at Lawn Land in Denton or Gator Power Equipment in McKinney Texas.

Turf Dawg
03-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Well, let start one so at least their names are on this thread if someone googles them. I will start.

I give a thumbs up to Smith Farm and Garden in Lewisville, Texas.

Dont even waste your time at Lawn Land in Denton or Gator Power Equipment in McKinney Texas.

I will give a Amen to your comment about Lawn Land.

I stop into Smith's every now and then but for parts, knowledge and a big selection of handheld brands Ed's Power Equipment in Addison is my favorite. I know some of the other dealers even order parts from them all the time because they keep so much in stock. I'll give Ed's two snaps and a twirl.

NJT
03-13-2011, 11:40 AM
I will give a Amen to your comment about Lawn Land.

I stop into Smith's every now and then but for parts, knowledge and a big selection of handheld brands Ed's Power Equipment in Addison is my favorite. I know some of the other dealers even order parts from them all the time because they keep so much in stock. I'll give Ed's two snaps and a twirl.

Nice "In Living Color" reference.

Turf Dawg
03-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Nice "In Living Color" reference.

I am an good ol redneck, but I tell you that was some funny stuff :laugh::laugh::laugh:

RodneyK
03-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Even thinking about this one step further LawnSite should have its own dealer network so to speak where you get predetermined discounts on parts and equipment from your "certified" local dealer. The buying power of everyone combined on this site is incredible! Wish there were more member benefits with this site...

chuacro
03-14-2011, 12:43 AM
If you live in Memphis, TN I would shy away from Kalb equipment. I was going to switch over to exmark equipment and could not get the time of day from these people. This place is 1 block from my home. I drive out to Bartlett small engine. I bought a backpack blower from them yesterday. I did not want to drive all over town to save a few bucks. They carry shtil,redmax,echo and shindaiwa and helped me decide what was best for me. I talked to the exmark company and was told that they would give me an incentive to visit another local dealer. Never happened. I guess that is why they put up with this dealer.

PoohBear
10-07-2011, 01:02 AM
Great Idea, to somehow rate dealers on this site. I am having a hard time finding a dealer I can trust

BrunoT
10-07-2011, 03:53 PM
I usually end up leaving a mower dealership either wanting to vomit for how much I was charged or wanting to punch someone because they just don't get it. My last dealer I think I actually saw the thought bubble above the customer service person saying, "We don't give a crap about you."

Well, I ended driving about 20 mins to a different dealership based on another LCOs recommendation. Night and day difference! Easy to work with and there to help. Andy More in particular went out of his way to make sure I was taken care of.

If you need anything I highly recommend them. More's Farm Store in Columbia City, Indiana. They have Toro, Kubota, Bad Boy, Stihl, etc.

http://www.morekubota.com/

Hey Andy! How've you been? :laugh:
Seriously, those who provide proper service and competitive prices will survive while those who don't think they have to will be more likely to fail. Times are tough. Those who spent the good times building up goodwill will be able to redeem it now. This is a good example of why you should treat customers right even when you don't absolutely have to.

JTLarson
10-07-2011, 07:15 PM
I know I am not salesman or dealer material, but my question is why don't some of them study up on their merchandise and maybe even some on the competition? I look over pamphlets and at websites and it seems like I know more about their product when I walk in than they do. A lot of them fumble thru their 3 ring binders or look the stuff up on the internet to tell u about them or financing offers. I look at a lot of products and a lot of brands and seem able to keep good knowledge on several of them. I called a Deere dealership to ask if they had a Series 1 subcompact tractor I could look at and the salesman didn't have a clue what I was even talking about!! If I were in the sales business I would be up on my products and even some on the competition so I could give legitimate comparisons. Too bad the guys that really care about the industry are the ones doing the work and are unable to sit behind a desk.
Posted via Mobile Device

StihlMechanic
10-07-2011, 07:35 PM
I know I am not salesman or dealer material, but my question is why don't some of them study up on their merchandise and maybe even some on the competition? I look over pamphlets and at websites and it seems like I know more about their product when I walk in than they do. A lot of them fumble thru their 3 ring binders or look the stuff up on the internet to tell u about them or financing offers. I look at a lot of products and a lot of brands and seem able to keep good knowledge on several of them. I called a Deere dealership to ask if they had a Series 1 subcompact tractor I could look at and the salesman didn't have a clue what I was even talking about!! If I were in the sales business I would be up on my products and even some on the competition so I could give legitimate comparisons. Too bad the guys that really care about the industry are the ones doing the work and are unable to sit behind a desk.
Posted via Mobile Device

I must agree about the lack of knowledge in a dealership. I have been in sales, parts and service in this industry for nearly a decade(JD, toro, stihl, cub, ect ect). I have had many of customers, homeowner and commercial, compliment me on my knowledge. The answer is simple, not a lot of people get into outdoor power equipment and stay long enough to learn anything. I have educated many people (employees and customers alike) on the features and benefits of the products but many times commercial guys (experienced that is) know as much as I do or more from using the equipment in the field. As far a tractors are concerned you need to deal with experience, not some fly by night. They need to know what to suggest given the need you have. You would be surprised how many tractor salesmen I have worked with that couldn't tell you the difference between a cat 2 and cat 3 three point hitch, a 540 rpm PTO and a 1000.

gebby
10-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Thumbs up to Brian and Cindy and the crew at Cambridge Power Equipment in Cambridge, Ohio. They have yet to let me down. Been buying from them commercially for 16 years and became a regular customer in 1976. Go Gravely, Go Sthil. :clapping: