PDA

View Full Version : Need thoughts on JD Quik Trak

Mowingkid35
03-09-2011, 06:52 PM
A local guy that i know very well offered to sell me his quik trak the other day. He said $1500 takes it home. It's got a touch over 700 hours on it and he mows commercially. I need to find out if any guys on here run these machines and how the like them. Comments are greatly appreciated.

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
03-09-2011, 07:45 PM
A local guy that i know very well offered to sell me his quik trak the other day. He said $1500 takes it home. It's got a touch over 700 hours on it and he mows commercially. I need to find out if any guys on here run these machines and how the like them. Comments are greatly appreciated.

If I was within driving distance and that deal popped up, I'd buy that mower in about an hour's time. That my friend is a deal and a half. You better run over there with a deposit tonight.

I have owned every JD Quik Trak model...the 667 60", the 657A 54" which I currently run, and the ever popular 647A 48" which I have run the last 8 years with little problem. Love the stance, the footing, the wider than Wright width these mowers give me, especiall the 54" and 48". The 60" I believe has weak wheel motors and I'd shy away from that one unless the price was right. The 54" and 48" have the perfect size engines for their weight and girth. They are built like little tanks and hardly ever break down. Love 'em. I just paid $3000 for a nice newer low low hr 657A machine for myself without hesitation. Even traveled from KC to St. Louis to fetch it...that's how much I think of these mowers.

Easy to maintain. Parts are readily available. That 7-Iron deck lasts forever. Wheel motors are very capable. I can't think of a negative. I like the quick adjust option from a standing position, if yours has that, but if it doesn't...buy it anyway. I just sold a 48" this winter for $2300 cash with 1551 hrs on it. You're in that mower good at $1500. I could easily turn that mower for $3000 in a few weeks time, wouldn't think twice. If you need one, keep it! You'll ALWAYS be able to get your money out of it at $1500...geez...where are those deals when I need 'em? I'd buy 10 of those at that price if I could find 'em...

HANDYHELPERS
03-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Terrible on hills. If you do a search on LS you will find a video showing how bad on hills these machines are. I almost bought a 2010 model with 46 hours for 4000. I drove it on hills for about 20 mins and knew to pass due to my zeros holding the hillls better.

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
03-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Terrible on hills. If you do a search on LS you will find a video showing how bad on hills these machines are. I almost bought a 2010 model with 46 hours for 4000. I drove it on hills for about 20 mins and knew to pass due to my zeros holding the hillls better.

But I've got coordination. You've got to learn how to "surf" with a stander and not just be a cement block. Move and shift with the mower...this is a learned skill. Guys who don't sway with the mower don't like 'em. Go look a professional crew of Mexicans and watch how those guys "bond and feel" the mower. It's a part of them. Like a NASCAR driver becomes one with his car. I'll mow 35% banks with a little pressure on the outside hydro to keep traction. I don't work for JD so do what you want. For my money and all the city parks I've ever mowed, which has slopes, 39% pond embankments, you name it...never had a problem with handling hills.

Mowingkid35
03-11-2011, 06:22 PM
If I was within driving distance and that deal popped up, I'd buy that mower in about an hour's time. That my friend is a deal and a half. You better run over there with a deposit tonight.

I have owned every JD Quik Trak model...the 667 60", the 657A 54" which I currently run, and the ever popular 647A 48" which I have run the last 8 years with little problem. Love the stance, the footing, the wider than Wright width these mowers give me, especiall the 54" and 48". The 60" I believe has weak wheel motors and I'd shy away from that one unless the price was right. The 54" and 48" have the perfect size engines for their weight and girth. They are built like little tanks and hardly ever break down. Love 'em. I just paid $3000 for a nice newer low low hr 657A machine for myself without hesitation. Even traveled from KC to St. Louis to fetch it...that's how much I think of these mowers.

Easy to maintain. Parts are readily available. That 7-Iron deck lasts forever. Wheel motors are very capable. I can't think of a negative. I like the quick adjust option from a standing position, if yours has that, but if it doesn't...buy it anyway. I just sold a 48" this winter for $2300 cash with 1551 hrs on it. You're in that mower good at $1500. I could easily turn that mower for $3000 in a few weeks time, wouldn't think twice. If you need one, keep it! You'll ALWAYS be able to get your money out of it at $1500...geez...where are those deals when I need 'em? I'd buy 10 of those at that price if I could find 'em...

Thanks a ton for the advice, i went and put money down on the mower and will pick it up when the snow melts away from here. I agree 100% with you on the fact that you need to literally "surf" with the mower. I already have one stand up (Great Dane) that I bought from a guy two summers ago for $450. He couldn't figure out why the blades would not turn on..... it ended up being a $3.75 switch from the local parts store that fixed it. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: But thanks for the input greatly appreciated.

QualityLawnCare4u
03-11-2011, 06:26 PM
That is a steal my friend, I would have jumped all over that mower if it was not hot:laugh:

clintonlawncare
03-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Hey guys, I just bought a 2003 647 model with 800hrs for $2000. because I thought it was well worth that. It has the 19hp Kawasaki engine and the 7 iron deck. It seems well maintained with normal wear.
Also looking for opinions and any comments.
I've never run a stander but have some smaller accounts and cemetaries to mow this year. I hoped it would do well with the tight areas and getting close to the trim.
I also run a 61" Scag zero turn and hope I can get used to this machine. I have good balance and actually love to surf so this might be fun, haha.
Thanks guys.

lawnangel1
03-12-2011, 10:58 PM
That is a great deal. Go for it.

Mowingkid35
03-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Picking up this week!!!

lawnprosteveo
03-20-2011, 09:24 PM
I owned a 647 48" Quik Trak. It was the best cutting mower Ive ever owned. Not the greatest on hills, but as for quality, reliability, quality of cut...it was my favorite.

The only negative...any Deere parts seem to cost alot more and at the time, there were no good Deere dealers around.

Mowingkid35
03-20-2011, 11:17 PM
I got a dealers all around me, i tend to usually get good deals on stuff because we run a very large farm in our area and buy a lot of equipment from them. But i agree 100% that normally deer parts are a lot more than other brands.