PDA

View Full Version : I picked up 13-13-13 today, questions inside

Southern Pride
03-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Picked this stuff up at lowes today. Got a small 33lb. bag and doing my home. It is 10,000 sq ft. It is grainular.

When is the best time to apply this stuff. Bout to bower my buddys spreader and it has been off and on rainy this month, 50's & 60's temps here in Memphis. Cuts start in April and my lawn is mostly weeds and sparse with dirt areas, etc. I'm hoping to spread some of this triple 13 to green it up a little more.

When should I spread it? When's the best time?
Is this 33lb. bag enough for 10,000 sq ft?

I know nothing about fertilizing so just need some SIMPLE responses, don't care to do anything else to the lawn other than put this down and water. It's my own yard so I don't care if it's a perfect lawn.

fredmullegun
03-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Next time buy fert made for turf.

13-13-13 might give you too much P and K but since you don't care put it down when the lawn is growing well. Probably an all mineral, no slow release fert so it should be put down when the turf is actively growing.

Turf Dawg
03-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Most of the time how much a bag will cover is based on what % nitrogen which is useally about one pound per thousand. To find out you would take .13X33 [%n X's bag weight] so this will treat 4.29 thousand SQ FT. However with the 13%P and 13%K that would be too much for most areas so I would say it should be used on about 8 thousand SQ FT.

fredmullegun
03-09-2011, 11:05 PM
I think just use the one bag for the entire lawn. Wait until it is growing a little then spread it. Next time buy some 39-0-0 with slow release N and spread 20 pounds of it over the whole yard.

Southern Pride
03-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Like I said I know knowing about fertilizer. Seems pretty complicated actually. I'll probably wait until it starts growing and spread as much of the one bag as I can and hope for the best.

See the weird thing is I've heard 13-13-13 recommended a couple times but on the bag it says "For quick green up" but says nothing about grass and only desbribes tree trunks, gardens, and flower beds? It's like even the bag is contradicting itself. I don't get it, but F it I'll throw it down once we start gettin some green.

fredmullegun
03-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Like I said I know knowing about fertilizer. Seems pretty complicated actually. I'll probably wait until it starts growing and spread as much of the one bag as I can and hope for the best.

See the weird thing is I've heard 13-13-13 recommended a couple times but on the bag it says "For quick green up" but says nothing about grass and only desbribes tree trunks, gardens, and flower beds? It's like even the bag is contradicting itself. I don't get it, but F it I'll throw it down once we start gettin some green.

Just throw it all down. Try to get it as even as possible. Most turf fertilizer is high nitrogen like 39-0-0. Next time buy fert made for turf and spread as directed.

Southern Pride
03-10-2011, 01:06 AM
Okay well what's the best fert for turf that they sell at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Ric
03-13-2011, 10:37 PM
lol why don't you tell us how you really feel? Most people would further explain themselves here but "F IT", It's redundant, especially to tight asses.

Southern

I am afraid you are a victim here of the BLIND LEADING THE BLIND. Go ahead and apply the whole 33 pound bag to your 10,000 sq ft now and water it in. Triple 13 or 13-13-13 has been a popular pasture fertilizer for years and should really Thicken up your turf. Triple 6 or 6-6-6 was a standard turf fertilizer for years and the only difference between 6-6-6 and 13-13-13 was 6-6-6 was applied twice as heavy.

Assume the 13-13-13 is all fast release Fertilizer, you are still only applying less than 1/2 pound per thousand of Nitrogen and the fast release will help with spring Green up.

Most turf Fertilizer are a 4-1-2 Ratio of N-P-K because university studies show that to be the economical use of Fertilizer by turf grass. In the future I suggest you stay with that ratio and not follow the 39-0-0 or any other xx-0-0 blends. 24-2-11 is close enough to the 4-1-2 ratio but 16-4-8 is a 4-1-2 ratio.

JB1
03-13-2011, 10:40 PM
the 39-0-0 would be good if you like to mow every other day in the spring.

Kiril
03-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Southern

I am afraid you are a victim here of the BLIND LEADING THE BLIND. Go ahead and apply the whole 33 pound bag to your 10,000 sq ft now and water it in. Triple 13 or 13-13-13 has been a popular pasture fertilizer for years and should really Thicken up your turf. Triple 6 or 6-6-6 was a standard turf fertilizer for years and the only difference between 6-6-6 and 13-13-13 was 6-6-6 was applied twice as heavy.

Assume the 13-13-13 is all fast release Fertilizer, you are still only applying less than 1/2 pound per thousand of Nitrogen and the fast release will help with spring Green up.

Most turf Fertilizer are a 4-1-2 Ratio of N-P-K because university studies show that to be the economical use of Fertilizer by turf grass. In the future I suggest you stay with that ratio and not follow the 39-0-0 or any other xx-0-0 blends. 24-2-11 is close enough to the 4-1-2 ratio but 16-4-8 is a 4-1-2 ratio.

If I may borrow a quote ................

And "WE" wonder why our industry is in the state it's in.
Ah "F" it, I'll just throw it down. "BRILLIANT"!!!!!!!!!!!

grass4gas
03-14-2011, 06:00 AM
Ric,

The point I am making is the fact that it is high in P and K. How does he know if he needs either? There is a push to ban all P in most states as you are aware. Here we are required on all new clients to have the soil tested, and then every 2-3 years therafter. Only makes sense, right?

I am 99.999999% sure he didn't have his soil tested and could very well be adding excess amounts...maybe not, don't know until it is tested.

The 13% N...no big deal, just a tick over 1/2lb of N.

I try to be neutral as much as possible, but when someone says their just going to "throw" down some fert...well call me blind.

grass4gas
03-14-2011, 06:33 AM
Ric,

The point I am making is the fact that it is high in P and K. How does he know if he needs either? There is a push to ban all P in most states as you are aware. Here we are required on all new clients to have the soil tested, and then every 2-3 years therafter. Only makes sense, right?

I am 99.999999% sure he didn't have his soil tested and could very well be adding excess amounts...maybe not, don't know until it is tested.

The 13% N...no big deal, just a tick over 1/2lb of N.

I try to be neutral as much as possible, but when someone says their just going to "throw" down some fert...well call me blind.

That should have read just under 1/2lb N...I can't add this morning.

Ric
03-14-2011, 09:45 AM
That should have read just under 1/2lb N...I can't add this morning.

He already purchased the 13-13-13 and now it has to be either used or disposed of. In your own words as well as mine, UNDER 1/2 PER THOUSAND. For years yours and everyones grand father put this same blend ratio on their lawn without a soil test.

BTW I didn't say to keep buying that blend and using it. but one time is no big deal so stop being a kiril and use some common sense.

Kiril
03-14-2011, 09:59 AM
He already purchased the 13-13-13 and now it has to be either used or disposed of. In your own words as well as mine, UNDER 1/2 PER THOUSAND. For years yours and everyones grand father put this same blend ratio on their lawn without a soil test.

BTW I didn't say to keep buying that blend and using it. but one time is no big deal so stop being a kiril and use some common sense.

Common sense says take the fertilizer back, get the soil tested, and then get the appropriate fertilizer.

Turf Dawg
03-14-2011, 12:27 PM
If he is in sandy soil then he might actually need the triple 13. Only a soil test will tell, but I agree that a one time deal in that small amount per K should not hurt crap. Every Tom, Dick and Harry that does their own lawn around here generly goes to one of the feed stores or the CO-OP and they sell the blends a lot higer than that and that does bother me. They think if it is good for a crop then it should be great for their grass.

Southern Pride
03-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Everyone, common sense tells me a 1 time layer of 13-13-13 is what will trigger armegeddon by your reactions. All yall breathe it out and find another thread cuz 13-13-13 is going on my lawn and guess what! It'll be just FINE.

32vld
03-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Southern

This here is a man. No need to tell someone how much they don't know. He just shares his knowledge to pull people up to his level. Not pull them down.

Ric
03-16-2011, 09:44 AM
This here is a man. No need to tell someone how much they don't know. He just shares his knowledge to pull people up to his level. Not pull them down.

Thank you, you made my day.

humble1
03-16-2011, 08:46 PM
I love lawn site, I always feel warm and welcome. Like Rodney King said "Cant we all just get along" lol

JB1
03-16-2011, 08:49 PM
wouldn't 10-10-10 be better?

lilmarvin4064
03-18-2011, 01:45 PM
wouldn't 10-10-10 be better?

no way, thats too strong! 9-9-9 would be better.

:)

fredmullegun
03-19-2011, 11:18 AM
the 39-0-0 would be good if you like to mow every other day in the spring.

yeah because the lack of P and K really makes that grass grow.(!?!)

With equal amounts of N put down, top growth if not a problem.